Strife Teaser

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Yeah, what Giest said. :P
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Graf Zahl wrote:Isn't this a good time to release a new version? (hint... ;) )
Not until after I've done a full run-through of strife1.wad to catch any glaring issues first. I've already found a few in my first two hours of play.

Besides, I've never played Strife before, so I think I should be the first one to play it with ZDoom. :-)
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

well take your time and have fun enjoying the fruits of your hard work!
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Of course, Strife playability isn't the only thing we're looking forward to in .64... :P
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

randy wrote:
Besides, I've never played Strife before, so I think I should be the first one to play it with ZDoom. :-)

Have fun! I think it's a great game (and in dire need of a good playable Windows version!) ;)
adx

Post by adx »

Me too, haven't played strife. Guess I'll have to download it from underdogs and wait for .64(or whatever version it is) to be released before I would play it making me the second one to first time played strife and in zdoom port.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

randy wrote:Besides, I've never played Strife before, so I think I should be the first one to play it with ZDoom. :-)
Heh, quite right too! Of course, you'll want to play it through at least a couple of times because you get different paths through the game (more levels on one path than the other) and different endings depending on how you play...

(but I'm guessing you knew that)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

If the dialog system works properly playing the 'good' (longer) path should be sufficient. All the differences are merely in the dialog system and if that works the rest should be ok. Unlike Hexen there is absolutely no scripting involved to manipulate the levels, just 2 or 3 special linedefs that open/close paths in some levels based on progress. Anyway, it is hardly necessary to play the entire game 2 or 3 times.

The only parts where there are alternate routes that truly affect the game are:

- the governor's chores - just save before accepting one and then play both - the 'messy' one twice to get all possible paths. After you get the key from the governor it's all the same anyway and these progess flags are never checked again.
- the Offering Chalice - just do this once before you go to the governor - if you do that you are screwed anyway so save before! After you are finished with the governor you can play this mission without any further consequences to the game - just don't trigger the alarm in town or lots and lots of Acolytes will beam in (and that's all they do. This has absolutely no impact on any game stats. If you kill them all you can continue playing as if it never happened. ;)
- at the branching point in the game there are several possible reactions. But again this can be done from one savegame in a few minutes. After that it's just playing the rest of the two paths (and the 'dark' one is really disappointing because it skips the best parts of the game.)

All the rest of alternative routes are merely shortcut routes in a level that at no point whatsoever have any impact on the game's progress and skipping the optional parts of the game seems rather pointless because all they do is increase the stamina and accuracy stats.

Anyway, if the progress system of the game works there shouldn't be much of a problem because the tokens being given are the only difference between the various paths.

Personally I am more interested in checking the technical aspects of Strife but for that I need the source... ;)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

My bad. :oops: I really should have put a :wink: after my post. I was only teasing people, suggesting that Randy should play longer and thereby delay everyone else getting their hands on this version. :)

Anyway, the information you provided is useful. I didn't have a proper note of how the decisions in game affect things other than the major decision that determines the "light" or "dark" paths.

If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.

Oooops, wrong dark path. :wink:
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Enjay wrote: If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.

Oooops, wrong dark path. :wink:

Yes, wrong dark path. This one will merely disappoint because it skips 8(!) levels in the game if I am not mistaken.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Graf Zahl wrote:Yes, wrong dark path. This one will merely disappoint because it skips 8(!) levels in the game if I am not mistaken.
So it is "quicker, easier" but not necessarily "more seductive" then. :)

8 levels huh? I knew it missed out a bit, but didn't realise it was as much as that. I have played both routes, but it has been a while.
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

I'm impressed. Randy has coded the game by reverse engineering without even having to refer to how it plays, heh.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

That's just proof of how 1337 Randy is.

Heh. ANyway, I've played through the strife demo, and that's just about it. I have the full version right here, but without Zdoom, I can't play it (Blame Windows XP). :P
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Xaser wrote:(Blame Windows XP)
It is actually possible to play it under XP, but with the same limitations as Doom - ie even when playing using VDMS it doesn't sound great. So, I wouldn't recommend it, but if you are really desperate to play it under XP it is possible. I'd wait for Zdoom support though. :)
arioch

Post by arioch »

next up: dark forces :P

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”