Updated ACC for WadAuthor users

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

randi
Site Admin

Updated ACC for WadAuthor users

Post by randi »

Now that I'm starting to get my system back in order, here's a build of ACC 1.47 that works with WadAuthor (and ZETH, but does anybody still use that?).
randi
Site Admin

Re: Updated ACC for WadAuthor users

Post by randi »

I also feel compelled to mention that compiling using DJGPP under DOSBox is painfully slow. At least ACC is small, so the pain is bearable.
skadoomer

Post by skadoomer »

I kinda wondered why zeth was still on the downloads page since almost all level editing is done through either doom builder or wadauthor (and to a lesser extent deepsea and slade).
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

AFAIK, ZETH was one of the few editors for ZDoom that could be made to work on Linux (with heavy patching). At least, it was back when I was working on it. Nowadays, there's probably some other editors that have gotten ported to Linux, and/or work reasonably well under Wine. Still.. being based on the classic DEU, I have a soft spot for it. If only its code was cleaner and more conducive to being worked on..

An editor based on Qt with an OpenGL 3D mode would be nice and portable if done right, but I digress.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Pretty sure when DB2 is out all the wauthor users will migrate.
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

Chris wrote:Nowadays, there's probably some other editors that have gotten ported to Linux, and/or work reasonably well under Wine.
Funny enough, not really.
There's Slade, and that's pretty much it. Doom Builder doesn't work so well under wine, and I haven't tried Doom Builder 2 under wine.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Cutmanmike wrote:Pretty sure when DB2 is out all the wauthor users will migrate.
It'd be nice if that happened but I somehow doubt it. I think some would rather miss out on UDMF and other new stuff than having to change their workflow.
Macil
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Macil »

Siggi wrote:
Chris wrote:Nowadays, there's probably some other editors that have gotten ported to Linux, and/or work reasonably well under Wine.
Funny enough, not really.
There's Slade, and that's pretty much it. Doom Builder doesn't work so well under wine, and I haven't tried Doom Builder 2 under wine.
Doom Builder works ok for me (not perfectly though) under wine. Try taking a look at the topic about it at doomworld about setting it up.
Siggi

Post by Siggi »

I tried it too when I read that thread.
I forget the details, but there were a number of things which didn't work. Hence, didn't work so well. It does work though.
TOGoS

Post by TOGoS »

and ZETH, but does anybody still use that?
I do :oops:

Actually, due to the problem of Zeth-has-a-few-annoying-bugs-that-I-can't-fix-because-I've-never-been-able-to-compile-it, I've tried to switch to DoomBuilder on multiple occasions. I always switched back, though, either because DoomBuilder screwed up my map in some weird way, I couldn't get used to the lack of keyboard-navigable menus, or both. Maybe if I need to start using UDMF and DoomBuilder adds a hit-enter-down-down-enter-type-texture-name feature so I don't need to go around pointing-and-clicking dialog boxes all the time I'll finally switch. Until then, it's WinZeth all the way, for me.

All that said, I use a Makefile to do all my ACC compiling and node building outside of Zeth, so whether or not Zeth can call acc.exe doesn't matter to me at all. ^_^
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Cutmanmike wrote:Pretty sure when DB2 is out all the wauthor users will migrate.
It'd be nice if that happened but I somehow doubt it. I think some would rather miss out on UDMF and other new stuff than having to change their workflow.
Well I'm going to :wink:
Juan "JacKThERiPPeR

Post by Juan "JacKThERiPPeR »

Don't those kind of compilers still work as command-line programs in XP? :| I've tried ACC on XP dragging and dropping the scripts.
Necromage

Post by Necromage »

I have never had any problems running acc from the command line.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

TOGoS wrote:Maybe if I need to start using UDMF and DoomBuilder adds a hit-enter-down-down-enter-type-texture-name feature so I don't need to go around pointing-and-clicking dialog boxes all the time I'll finally switch.
DB2 supports plug-ins, so you can program this in yourself! :P
Siggi

Post by Siggi »

I clearly haven't woken up properly yet, I read the quote in Hotwax's post as follows...
Maybe if I need to start using UDMF and DoomBuilder adds a hit-up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-B-A-type-texture-name feature so I don't need to go around pointing-and-clicking dialog boxes all the time I'll finally switch.
But on the bright side I got a laugh. :P

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”