Linux progress

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Linux progress

Post by Chris »

randy wrote:
Chris wrote:GDI on Windows
But Windows also has had DirectDraw for 10+ years, which gives you direct access to the video memory and still plays nice with the windowing system, so having to use GDI isn't an issue.
And X11 had DGA(2) which also gave you direct access to vid mem. Unlike DDraw though, it's uptake wasn't as good.. but thankfully so, since drivers can just not provide it anymore and instead provide "cleaner" Xlib and OpenGL graphics implementations. Windows has to continue providing DDraw or else it'll break a bunch of apps (though to be honest, I'd wager DDraw is emulated with Direct3D these days anyway..).

I made the comparison because Xlib graphics are more or less equivilant to GDI, both in speed and functionality. DDraw I'd liken to DGA2, and while X11 eventually deprecated DGA2 and is no longer offering it (instead preferring OpenGL), Windows continues to offer DDraw (but recommends Direct3D). It's just SDL isn't all that great and doesn't accelerate its framebuffer operations with OpenGL.
Grubber

Post by Grubber »

Linux graphics suck. Fortunately there is some work being done (don't know much about it, but terms like Gallium3D, GEM or KMS pop in my mind).
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Csonicgo wrote: yeah, but openGL isn't for 2D... :[
You'd be surprised, actually, since it's an open graphics library (as the name suggests... haha.) it has been utilized for that very sort of thing. As I recall, there were some people who were making another Doom side-scroller using openGL (yeah, I know, reinventing the wheel, doesn't make sense, but it's done).

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”