Linux!

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

GuntherDW

Post by GuntherDW »

now if randy doesn't want to make a good version for linux, well that ain't gonna stop me :p
zdoom 2.0.63a runs (not perfect) quite good (around 35 fps avg @ 640x480) :)
edit : in fullscreen mode it runs like a DREAM :) (over 130 fps)
Attachments
2004-09-13-01-34.png
2004-09-13-01-34.png (221.8 KiB) Viewed 3609 times
ducon

Post by ducon »

What’s your machine?
I tried to run Doom2.exe in dosbox but it’s too slow, unplayable with my 800 MHz.
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

He's using VMWare...

The only problem for me is that it pipes my hardware right from VMware to Linux, so Win98 still needs some of my sound card drivers, which don't seem to exisit... Maybe i'll find a XP version somewhere...

Maybe I'm way wrong too though, but my sound REFUSES TO WORK, and there's an (!) beside my soundcard in device manager.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

(such as mplayer) only support 1 of the total amount of possible output options through SDL
Not at all:
-ao sdl:esd
uses esound over SDL...
What's bloated about taking common code from different modules and moving it into a separate module so they can all share the same code?
Not quite not-nothing. To clarify: there is nothing bad in shared code, yet if the modules could still be split up to further reduce the amount of bytes loaded, would not that be better?
now if randy doesn't want to make a good version for linux, well that ain't gonna stop me
zdoom 2.0.63a runs (not perfect) quite good (around 35 fps avg @ 640x480)
edit : in fullscreen mode it runs like a DREAM (over 130 fps)
Oh what an invention. Sorry, you're late, I ran Zdoom as the first (IIRC) in VMware. And what does not work is [thread] the mouse. The sound also does not work 100%... clicks and crackls a lot, but works.
zloba

Post by zloba »

\me wants a new Linux version, on account of the fact that \me runs Linux :D
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Check the thread for 2.0.93 in the General section. There's a patch to get it to build on Linux there.
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

Does it still use SDL?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Yes. And FMOD, zlib, and FLAC(++).
zloba

Post by zloba »

2 Chris: Thanks for help, it compiled ok (although i did have to insert #include <unistd.h> in several places).

But, it refuses to play the wads (the wads are playable by old zdoom and zdaemon)
$ ./zdoomdbg -iwad Doom2.wad
W_GetNumForName: LANGUAGE not found!
same for other standard wads i have.
any suggestions?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Did you make sure to get the updated zdoom.wad from the binary package? Randy really should include it with the source package, though.
zloba

Post by zloba »

2 Chris: yeah that was the problem.
now it starts, shows menu, but freezes when i either try to start a game or open console..

p.s. that is on LFS
on Fedora Core 2, it shows "... doom2 hell on earth", then terminates with "broken pipe".

pps. ditto with .94
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hmm.. might be a file-piping problem. Try running with -nomusic.
ducon

Post by ducon »

Is it possible to have a single file to download and not a patchwork of files? I followed the Linux threads lazily and I don’t want to read every post to know how and what I must do.
Anyway, if nothing comes I’ll just wait. :-)
Chris

Post by Chris »

Just look at the .94 thread in the General section. You can either grab my patch or Jim's. Mine contains a diff and a makefile to use, while his contains a diff and allows you to use autoconf and configure to create a makefile to use. You need to get the src cab to apply the diff to though, but it'll be like that until Randy gets around to applying one of the diffs to his branch. Although I don't suspect he'll do that untill all the kinks are worked out (since there seems to be a problem with optimized builds that I can't figure out). You also need to get the binary cab to get zdoom.wad, too.

So to recap. What you need:
  • The binary distro (for zdoom.wad only; until Randy puts the wad into the src distro too)
  • The src distro
  • Either mine or Jim's patch in the .94 thread in General
zloba

Post by zloba »

Chris
yay! with -nomusic it worked like magic.
now if only music could be fixed...

btw, speaking of Jim's patch - i couldn't apply it, patch complained about a malformed line or such..

ducon
Is it possible to have a single file to download and not a patchwork of files? I followed the Linux threads lazily and I don’t want to read every post to know how and what I must do.
Anyway, if nothing comes I’ll just wait.
i agree. imho using linux sux mostly because to get a simple thing working, sometimes one has to do some dark mojo, and not to mention the time wasted researching and figuring out. unless one has already done that before..

(back to zdoom) i think someone (if not randy) should make a page that explains how to get it done, links to the latest source, patches, prerequisites, HOWTO compile and use that stuff, gotchas, troubleshooting - all in one piece..

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”