LZDoom 3.84 released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

[Tap Here for Mobile-Friendly Forums]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Re: LZDoom 3.84 released

Postby Rachael » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:45 pm

It's already available now - in the current master.

You will have to launch with "./gzdoom +vid_preferbackend 2 +vid_rendermode 0" - and then you should be able to use the software renderer with any backend SDL supports.
User avatar
Rachael
Webmaster
 
Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: LZDoom 3.84 released

Postby drfrag » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:17 pm

He wanted to run the GL renderer with GLES2 so i guess he'll be more interested in Softpoly II.

I've tried to add support for 4 XInput controllers (not that it's actually needed) but it's a blind shot, here's a test build:
https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/lzdoom/lz ... ed15efc.7z
And for nostalgic people another pirated vintage devbuild:
https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom-vi ... 91fe036.7z
User avatar
drfrag
I.R developer, I.R smart
Vintage GZDoom Developer
 
Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Location: Spain

Re: LZDoom 3.84 released

Postby Redneckerz » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:25 am

drfrag wrote:He wanted to run the GL renderer with GLES2 so i guess he'll be more interested in Softpoly II.

I've tried to add support for 4 XInput controllers (not that it's actually needed) but it's a blind shot, here's a test build:
https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/lzdoom/lz ... ed15efc.7z
And for nostalgic people another pirated vintage devbuild:
https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom-vi ... 91fe036.7z

Oh i know where you got that latter build from. :wink: Thanks frag!
User avatar
Redneckerz
A Doomer in H.A/R.M's way
 
Joined: 25 Nov 2019
Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows Vista/7 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: LZDoom 3.84 released

Postby vanfanel » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:26 am

@Rachael: Great!
Is this the repository to get the master sources for lzdoom? --> https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/tree/legacy

What build options should I use for SDL2 with no desktop GL? (SDL2 runs on GLES and GLES2 renderers).
vanfanel
 
Joined: 25 Mar 2016

Re: LZDoom 3.84 released

Postby Rachael » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:29 am

I wasn't referring to LZDoom. If you want to use that, it still supports the same backends that GZDoom 3.3 did.

GZDoom 4.3 now has a SoftPoly II backend that should also support the GLES 2.0 backend (or anything else that SDL2 supports).

LZDoom is here -> https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/tree/g3.3mgw (g3.3mgw branch)
GZDoom is here -> https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/tree/master (master branch)

If I am not mistaken your use case is the Raspberry Pi without X? Both will run on it. LZDoom is likely to run better on it, but try both and see.

LZDoom you can run like this -> ./lzdoom +vid_renderer 0
GZDoom you can run like this -> ./gzdoom +vid_rendermode 0 +vid_preferbackend 2
User avatar
Rachael
Webmaster
 
Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: LZDoom 3.84 released

Postby drfrag » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:39 am

I thought SoftPoly II was 'vid_rendermode 4' and not the backend itself. :) I was referring to the new renderer or rasterizer.
User avatar
drfrag
I.R developer, I.R smart
Vintage GZDoom Developer
 
Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Location: Spain

Re: LZDoom 3.84 released

Postby Rachael » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:53 am

No. vid_rendermode 4 works differently depending on the backend, and with the softpoly backend it activates the new actual softpoly mode. If you're using OpenGL or Vulkan it uses the regular hardware poly mode (fka OpenGL renderer) that we've all grown to love over the years.

vid_rendermode 2 and 3 no longer work, the support code for those was removed. They'll just activate the classic software renderer for now.

But that being said, softpoly can only be specified at startup or prior to a restart.
User avatar
Rachael
Webmaster
 
Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: LZDoom 3.84 released

Postby drfrag » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:59 am

That's what i meant, vid_rendermode 4 with the poly backend.
User avatar
drfrag
I.R developer, I.R smart
Vintage GZDoom Developer
 
Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Location: Spain

Re: LZDoom 3.84 released

Postby vanfanel » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:46 pm

Rachael wrote:I wasn't referring to LZDoom. If you want to use that, it still supports the same backends that GZDoom 3.3 did.

GZDoom 4.3 now has a SoftPoly II backend that should also support the GLES 2.0 backend (or anything else that SDL2 supports).

LZDoom is here -> https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/tree/g3.3mgw (g3.3mgw branch)
GZDoom is here -> https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/tree/master (master branch)

If I am not mistaken your use case is the Raspberry Pi without X? Both will run on it. LZDoom is likely to run better on it, but try both and see.

LZDoom you can run like this -> ./lzdoom +vid_renderer 0
GZDoom you can run like this -> ./gzdoom +vid_rendermode 0 +vid_preferbackend 2


Yes: I am trying to run it on X-less SDL2 on GLES2.
So I went and cloned LZDoom like this:
Code: Select allExpand view
git clone --depth 1 -b g3.3mgw https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom.git

And built like this:
Code: Select allExpand view
cmake -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS="-march=armv8-a+crc -mtune=cortex-a53" -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-march=armv8-a+crc -mtune=cortex-a53"  -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..
make -j3


But resulting executable does not run:
Code: Select allExpand view
./lzdoom +vid_renderer 0

Results in:
Code: Select allExpand view
OpenGL load failed. No OpenGL acceleration will be used.


I still have to try GZDoom instead of LZDoom.
vanfanel
 
Joined: 25 Mar 2016

Re: LZDoom 3.84 released

Postby Rachael » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:50 pm

Hmm. If LZDoom didn't work, I don't know if GZDoom will, then. LZDoom is exactly the state of the code back in the day when it did work for GZDoom... But yeah, try it out and see what happens... if it doesn't work though, sorry, not much I can do, because this is not a setup I have ever used... I run everything on X, even if it's just a bare X server with no WM/DE.
User avatar
Rachael
Webmaster
 
Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: LZDoom 3.84 released

Postby vanfanel » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:21 pm

Rachael wrote:Hmm. If LZDoom didn't work, I don't know if GZDoom will, then. LZDoom is exactly the state of the code back in the day when it did work for GZDoom... But yeah, try it out and see what happens... if it doesn't work though, sorry, not much I can do, because this is not a setup I have ever used... I run everything on X, even if it's just a bare X server with no WM/DE.


Well, as you guessed GZDoom does not work either: "Failed to load OpenGL functions".

X-less enviroments also work in X86 using the SDL2 KMSDRM driver, its not something exclusive from small ARM SBCs. So maybe you can test in such an enviroment, no need to kill the Xorg server, just switch to any TTY (and have a KMSDRM-enabled SDL2 build installed, of course), just in case you feel like testing.

It is just a matter of building SDL2 with:
Code: Select allExpand view
./configure --enable-video-kmsdrm


I am almost sure it is something with GLES vs OpenGL. And it worked years ago with ZDoom.
vanfanel
 
Joined: 25 Mar 2016

Previous

Return to ZDoom (and related) News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest