Looking for an old map called "Works"

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
koopanique

Looking for an old map called "Works"

Post by koopanique »

Hi,

I am searching a map from a long time ago, and I wonder if anyone may have heard about it. It was in the 2000s, it was a Doom 2 map, I think it was called "Works" (works.wad? maybe without the "s"), maybe in reference to "waterworks" or "sewerworks". Unfortunately, I have long lost this map (which was contained in a small wad file). It featured custom beige wall textures, and most strikingly, a simple yet beautiful blue sky with some white clouds, I remember being impressed by this sky at the time, because I was so used to the bleak sky seen in Doom 2.
The map layout was decently complex, and the level had some esthetics put into it, as in, it was not simply walls, floor and ceiling, it had some pipes, some railing, sometimes a pipe would begin in a room and you could see it continue its course in the next room (I was blown away by this kind of details), etc. I think the level was supposed to represent some kind of elaborate sewer system, it had platforms and water, and there was railing to prevent people from falling into the water. Apart from some custom textures (and sky), monsters and most of the rest of the resources used in the map were from vanilla Doom 2.

I know this is a vague description, but that's all I can remember...
I have searched for this map on the internet but as you can imagine, simply typing "doom" and "works" do not yield conclusive results (too much noise). I tried with additional keyword like "beige walls" and "blue sky", but to no avail.
If anyone has played this map in the past, if anyone knows what I'm talking about, or if this rings any bell, I would be glad for any information.

---- ---- ----

Now I have a second question and I do not wish to open a second thread just for it, so here goes.
There is a type of map that I particularly affectionate: maps with a building or structure placed in an otherwise open area, and the player can enter the building/structure, sometimes by several angles. Examples of this in a well-known wad include "Storage Facility" (map 11 of TNT) and "Dead Zone" (map 15 of TNT), both featuring a building in an open area, and the player must investigate it.

If anyone can point me in the direction of maps following this concept, I would be very grateful!

Have a nice day,
Koopanique
Player701

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Looking for an old map called "Works"

Post by Player701 »

This might be the map you're looking for.

Return to “General”