REDS OVER WORLD - 30-level Cold War TC - OUT NOW, RELEASED, READY FOR PLAYING!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
WojtTheDoomer2K

Re: REDS OVER WORLD - 30-level Cold War TC - OUT NOW, RELEASED, READY FOR PLAYING!

Post by WojtTheDoomer2K »

Tormentor667 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:36 pm Alright, first playsession done, got to E2M2 and collected all kind of bugs, hints and ideas for your mod. All collected in a nice Google Document for your enjoyment ;)

Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10KI ... sp=sharing

I will continue playing and share more bugs and suggestions from E2M3 and on as soon as I continue playing, most propably this weekend.

Overall it's a very nice mod, the mapping is impressive and the places feel real to me, but it has quite a lot of drawbacks when it comes to mission routes and clearness where to go next. All explained in the Google Document though. I hope that helps and I'd look forward to fixes - the sooner the better, maybe before I continue with the third or fourth chapter ;)

I am sadly unable to view this Document, when I click the link, it says I must ask for permission to see it or something; I haven't sent one as I think it might be a bug.
Shadow_Wulfe

Re: REDS OVER WORLD - 30-level Cold War TC - OUT NOW, RELEASED, READY FOR PLAYING!

Post by Shadow_Wulfe »

Fantastic TC. Loved MoTI and was looking forward to this.

Not a fan of the platforming because of how the PC jumps.
Out of curiosity, what was the cannon reason that WW3 started without any of the sides slinging more than conventional weaponry at each other?

Is there supposed to be an intro slide to E4M4?
WojtTheDoomer2K

Tormentor667 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:36 pm Alright, first playsession done, got to E2M2 and collected all kind of bugs, hints and ideas for your mod. All collected in a nice Google Document for your enjoyment ;)

Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10KI ... sp=sharing

I will continue playing and share more bugs and suggestions from E2M3 and on as soon as I continue playing, most propably this weekend.

Overall it's a very nice mod, the mapping is impressive and the places feel real to me, but it has quite a lot of drawbacks when it comes to mission routes and clearness where to go next. All explained in the Google Document though. I hope that helps and I'd look forward to fixes - the sooner the better, maybe before I continue with the third or fourth chapter ;)

I just read these suggestions by you and I must admit I am suprised as I swear, I fixed many of these bugs before, like the standing soldiers in E1M4, or the wrong text colors. I'll make sure to release a "fixing-all-bugs-I-am-capable-of-fixing" patch once someone beats the whole game and lists all the issues, so I can fix it once and for all.

With that said, here are some answers regarding some of your suggestions/questions:

-Weapon reload doing nothing - have you downloaded and installed the patch? The patch contains manual reloading, several people tested it and it worked for them. Maybe you don't have it binded?

-Shooting the water produces sparks - truth be told I wanted to change that since day one of development but was unable to find any good splashing effect and I didn't want to steal the one from Brutal Doom.

-Doors being visually marked as unusable I didn't do because for realism's sake as I like this sort of thing, it gives the world a more "realistic" feel; I always thought that a "door locked" sound indicator upon pressing was good enough. It was always like that in games when I was a kid, and this game being a homage to them, I decided to make it that way.

-The reload number thing I was unable to program, but I wish I could, it'd help the players a lot.

-As for objective indicators, I didn't want to add any, fearing people would complain about objectives being too easy to find or too obvious. For a while, I thought about making radioes, walls you must destroy etc. emit an orange glow (like the "place bomb here" markers). Perhaps I will utilize a "!" mark on them?

-Hah, the "bugged" US flag isn't bugged at all! There is nothing wrong with colors there! It's one of the flags of African-Americans, hung in the barracks by some proud-to-be-Afroamerican soldiers.

-About skippable briefings and ending sequences, Im not sure if that is a good idea. They only happen once, and the player isn't forced to watch them everytime he dies or something.

-Yeah, I really should add some info about the E1M4 elevator and other stuff such as the vent thing. I thought of that, but I thought that if I'd do that, people would complain about the game being "too easy" and "guiding the player the whole game by holding his hand", some critiques of games I hear a lot nowadays. I thought of that always in terms of Half Life 1 puzzles where not much was said to the player. But looking at it now, yeah, some indication is needed.

-The E1M5 "walls" are actually meant to be walkable, as they're meant to be those weird line-shutter things found in club walkways; I should've gone with horizontal stripes to make it more obvious tbh. And yeah, I really should change that pipe-climbing puzzle to something better, as I wasn't too fond of it myself.

-As for portals, a bit of an embarassing thing buuut... they don't work on my GZDoom. I guess I'll avoid making these sorts of "dropping down/up" types of transitions in my future mods.

-Terminator isn't actually meant to be a boss - just a very, VERY tough enemy. He's actually a leftover from a very early and very different draft of the mod with much more wacky stuff like zombies and evil Hadron Colliders, and I didn't want to remove him, so I made him a very rare enemy.

I am really glad you enjoyed my mod so far despite the unfortunate shortcomings of it being my very first "massive" project! Cheers!
WojtTheDoomer2K

Shadow_Wulfe wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:26 pm Fantastic TC. Loved MoTI and was looking forward to this.

Not a fan of the platforming because of how the PC jumps.
Out of curiosity, what was the cannon reason that WW3 started without any of the sides slinging more than conventional weaponry at each other?

Is there supposed to be an intro slide to E4M4?
Aha! At last, a lore question! I must admit I made a lot of worldbuilding to this mod and I was waiting since I started this thread for someone to ask something about it's lore. Why didn't NATO or the Communists use their nuclear arsenals to solve the war? The answers are rather simple.

First, In E1M2 we see that the premier of the USSR disposed of American ICBM and nuclear facilities via covert strikes; the player only destroyed the silo in Wisconsin, other operatives of Specnaz and VDV destroyed and/or disabled silos all across America the same day, rendering the US effectively de-fanged, forcing them to resort to other "unusual" weaponry such as the Paladin robots you saw in Second Soviet Campaign (I presume you've played through). This wasn't something president Bush nor the Pentagon expected, and were mortified to notice that all US nuclear missiles were inoperable.

Second, the premier of the USSR decided to hold on to the ICBMs and nuclear means, having other ideas how to smoke out enemies of the USSR, including his grand master plan which campaigns from 3 to 6 slowly uncover... The People's Republic Of China lost their head of nuclear/ICBM research in E3M3, which caused their entire nuclear programme to derail and spiral into a downward spiral of chaos, paperwork and layoffs - in the middle of a war no less. And as you know if you've played E4M4 (yeah, I accidentaly forgot to add intro to it),
Spoiler:

Third, both sides feared that a nuclear holocaust might spiral into a end-of-the-world scenario. Soviets are cruel and stupid, but they wouldn't want to rule a nuclear wasteland.
Shadow_Wulfe

Post by Shadow_Wulfe »

WojtTheDoomer2K wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:17 am
Makes sense!

I dug into the files to read the intended intro to E4M3.

Finished the mod and loved it of course. The ending battles were quite diabolical.

Does this take place in an alternate history future of the MoTI universe? I tried to find nods or easter eggs as references but it has been such a long time since I played it that I either did not recognize them or did not sniff them out.
WojtTheDoomer2K

Shadow_Wulfe wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:57 pm
WojtTheDoomer2K wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:17 am
Makes sense!

I dug into the files to read the intended intro to E4M3.

Finished the mod and loved it of course. The ending battles were quite diabolical.

Does this take place in an alternate history future of the MoTI universe? I tried to find nods or easter eggs as references but it has been such a long time since I played it that I either did not recognize them or did not sniff them out.

Hah, no, it's a totally different alternate history, one I must admit I have plans for expanding out in the future.

If you finished the mod, feel free to give it's official wiki edit or two:
https://reds-over-world.fandom.com/wiki ... World_Wiki
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

WojtTheDoomer2K wrote:Weapon reload doing nothing - have you downloaded and installed the patch? The patch contains manual reloading, several people tested it and it worked for them. Maybe you don't have it binded?
I didn't know that the patch is not included in the main build. I'd suggest releasing a v1.1 including such a patch, because I can imagine that others miss the patch as well.
WojtTheDoomer2K wrote:Shooting the water produces sparks - truth be told I wanted to change that since day one of development but was unable to find any good splashing effect and I didn't want to steal the one from Brutal Doom.
Feel free to use the one from Blade of Agony ;)
WojtTheDoomer2K wrote:Doors being visually marked as unusable I didn't do because for realism's sake as I like this sort of thing, it gives the world a more "realistic" feel; I always thought that a "door locked" sound indicator upon pressing was good enough. It was always like that in games when I was a kid, and this game being a homage to them, I decided to make it that way.
I understand this from the realism-point of view, but realism is not what is always the most appealing approach when it comes to playing games ;) Imagine: You know your maps, you placed every sectors, rooms, doors. You know where to go. A player does not know where to go next. And having to "use" every single door to find out that 80% of them can't be opened is simply frustrating and time-consuming. Nobody will say "Wow, this place feels so real, I had to check 20 doors to find out that 19 of them are locked and 1 door can be opened". There have been moments when I considered quitting the game because of this. Take this in consideration. You won't lose gameplay value if you mark locked or decorational doors as "locked".
WojtTheDoomer2K wrote:The reload number thing I was unable to program, but I wish I could, it'd help the players a lot.
You could take a look at the code of Blade of Agony how it is done. On the other hand I am sure someone in the forums here can help you with it, it's a common thing. Just ask :) I would help but I am not a programmer myself.
WojtTheDoomer2K wrote:As for objective indicators, I didn't want to add any, fearing people would complain about objectives being too easy to find or too obvious. For a while, I thought about making radioes, walls you must destroy etc. emit an orange glow (like the "place bomb here" markers). Perhaps I will utilize a "!" mark on them?
We usede the "!" approach in Blade of Agony as well and it worked wonders. You can still add a hotkey to deactivate or activate the markers as a player's choice, if some of them don't want to lose immersion by adding markers. But in my eyes, many of the usable items are not obvious. And it was kinda frustrating to search after them. In one case I had to open the map in an editor to find it. And then you know something is wrong with leading the player through the map.
WojtTheDoomer2K wrote:Hah, the "bugged" US flag isn't bugged at all! There is nothing wrong with colors there! It's one of the flags of African-Americans, hung in the barracks by some proud-to-be-Afroamerican soldiers.
Thanks for clearing up, I wasn't aware of that :)
WojtTheDoomer2K wrote:About skippable briefings and ending sequences, Im not sure if that is a good idea. They only happen once, and the player isn't forced to watch them everytime he dies or something.
I'd suggest being able to skip messages by messages in this regard. I am a fast reader and I'd really liked to have the option to proceed faster here. For the whole skipping, imagine players playing the mod a second or third time. They know the briefing already and they want to skip it. This would come in favor for a replay value.
WojtTheDoomer2K wrote:Yeah, I really should add some info about the E1M4 elevator and other stuff such as the vent thing. I thought of that, but I thought that if I'd do that, people would complain about the game being "too easy" and "guiding the player the whole game by holding his hand", some critiques of games I hear a lot nowadays. I thought of that always in terms of Half Life 1 puzzles where not much was said to the player. But looking at it now, yeah, some indication is needed.
Exploration is always a good thing but you need to know that you have to explore, and where to look for it. You don't need to hold the players hand, but guide him into the right direction at least with a little hint :)
WojtTheDoomer2K wrote:The E1M5 "walls" are actually meant to be walkable, as they're meant to be those weird line-shutter things found in club walkways; I should've gone with horizontal stripes to make it more obvious tbh. And yeah, I really should change that pipe-climbing puzzle to something better, as I wasn't too fond of it myself.
Understood, but this brings another problem: The line-shutters are not obviously "walk-through" so players might end up softlocked because they do not know that the texture can be walked through.
WojtTheDoomer2K wrote:As for portals, a bit of an embarassing thing buuut... they don't work on my GZDoom. I guess I'll avoid making these sorts of "dropping down/up" types of transitions in my future mods.
These room over room areas are very cool. But may I ask why they do not work on your GZDoom? It's a official feature, using these connections and they are well documented. We used them in Blade of Agony a lot.
WojtTheDoomer2K wrote:Terminator isn't actually meant to be a boss - just a very, VERY tough enemy. He's actually a leftover from a very early and very different draft of the mod with much more wacky stuff like zombies and evil Hadron Colliders, and I didn't want to remove him, so I made him a very rare enemy.
Add a health bar to him, he is though and feels bossy :)

I am going to continue playing the next days, also with the patch incorporated. Looking forward to improvements though, it makes me want to continue if I know that these things get adressed. ;) The mod is worth it, believe me. It's a very good piece of project and I could help you with some graphics and assist as well, because I see a lot of potential.
WojtTheDoomer2K

Tormentor667 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:04 am Rest of feedback and bugtracking of Act 2: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m2U ... sp=sharing
Hm, once more I am unable to view it because of the permission-to-view thing.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

You should have access by now :)
WojtTheDoomer2K

Tormentor667 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:21 am You should have access by now :)
Still can't access it.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

Tormentor667 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:04 am Rest of feedback and bugtracking of Act 2: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m2U ... sp=sharing
i also cant access it, maybe there is some restriction you didnt to remove?
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

started playing it - will update this post with more things i find
i noticed you can reload even if you have a full mag(maybe even if there is no ammo?), which also makes me suggest another thing - add amo counter for magazine, i know a lot of military sims dont show it, but only having this feature alone feels out of place and the game manual does not specify how many bullets fit in a magazine for each weapon
sounds for some weapons are way too quiet - when i use mp5sd i can only hear ricochet sounds, for a second i thought i didnt have a sound, same with m16
i think knife and m16 should have a sprite change, its up to you tho i wouldnt care
rpg firing sound should be tied to the rocket itself, also increase rocket speed
grenade launcher - also increase projectile speed
explosions are too quiet and i think they dont have a far explosion sound
coachgun - when reloading, sprite frame goes higher than its idle state, also tracers go from under the gun and not in front of it (for jackahmmer same issue)
jackhammer - hitscans and tracers are misaligned, same goes for other weapons
some smgs have perfect accuracy, while others dont, tracers and hitscans spawn a bulletpuff so you get double of them
i think thats it for now
oh yeah knife is not silent, not sure if its supposed to be like that
BoJustBo

Post by BoJustBo »

Hey, this is looking pretty sweet from the trailer and screenshots. I'm having some problems with the hud though, it's just an empty black box in the middle with a green rock texture on the sides, and switching to the alt hud in GZDoom does nothing. I tried it in two versions of GZDoom, one being the latest, was this made for some specific port and I just missed it?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”