New ACS commands?

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

New ACS commands?

Post by Hirogen2 »

Hi,

when I played wart01.wad, I noticed the player said something via the Chat Function. Looking into the source, it said

Code: Select all

consolecommand("say OMG, I like Skulltag!");
There we go, I think that is to be expected in the next ACS and ZDoom release, in Skulltag, it is already working, however not with ACS 1.30.
I always needed something like a say() in ACS to do new Chatmacros (not only text hehe).
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I *think* skulltag has had consolecommand for some time.

I *don't think* Randy has added it to Zdoom.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

yeah skulltag allows you to execute console commands via acs, in my opinion this is a bad idea since it allows a map to essentially screw over the user without the user knowing it.

you could do something as simple as setting zdoom to a resoltion their monitor support, down to something like dumping endless garbage log files and filling up the users partition etc etc

of course I'm not saying anyone would do that, but you get my point
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Or how about a simple consolecommand("unbindall"); ?
Carnevil

Post by Carnevil »

Those would be [censored word] things to do. I don't know why people would.

If they do any of that, don't play the level. Duh.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

isint that what keyconf does already? edit the cfg untill the game is shutdown?
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

Carnevil wrote:Those would be [censored word] things to do. I don't know why people would.
I can think BRPD, author of NUTS and RUN, would do that :shock:
If they do any of that, don't play the level. Duh.
Heh /newstuff reviewers will catch it first :twisted:
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

A consolecommand in ACS is much too dangerous. Such a thing just invites all the idiots to do some real damage. Unless all potentially dangerous console commands were flagged so they couldn't be used from an ACS script.
Carnevil

Post by Carnevil »

Graf Zahl wrote:A consolecommand in ACS is much too dangerous. Such a thing just invites all the idiots to do some real damage. Unless all potentially dangerous console commands were flagged so they couldn't be used from an ACS script.
What commands are dangerous?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Bio Hazard wrote:isint that what keyconf does already? edit the cfg untill the game is shutdown?
Yes, until the game is shut down. Nothing is written to the ini. There are console commands that write to the ini. These are probably possible with the skulltag command - therefore longer lasting damage/alteration to your setup.

As for actual dangerous commands - probably none unless you happen to have a system which borks at a specific screen res or something, but PIA commands abound. Even setting up binds or something that might seem helpful could override existing stuff you have done, and what's more, still be in your ini long after the mod concerned was thrown in the recycle bin. Not such a big deal, you can easily delete/edit your ini. It's still a pain to have to re-setup things just because of a careless or malicious mod.

Here's a tip: I personally have a zdoom.ini sitting in my zdoom directory. It has all the important settings I want in it, and nothing else. If my zdoom-username.ini gets borked, I just delete it. Next time I start Zdoom, it reads my zdoom.ini - takes all the important setting from there and then writes a new zdoom-username.ini with my setup in it. The zdoom.ini is never altered, so it just sits there waiting for the next time I need to reset all my preferences. :)
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

Why, you just need to delete certain [] areas from the ini. And what you can do with KEYCONF: keyconf can propose key combinations for certain actions, not bind them. In the Controls menu there will be ??? instead if the defaultkey is already used.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hirogen2 wrote:Why, you just need to delete certain [] areas from the ini.
Was that addressed to me? If so, my zdoom.ini solution is quicker, that's all. Instead of opening up the damaged ini and searching through lines and lines of entries to root out values that I may not even know the name of, I just highlight my zdoom-username.ini, send it to the trash and restart Zdoom with all my preferences in place.

As I said, I only have the settings I need in my pared down ini. So that took a little time to set up. But I only had to do it once.
GameArena
Location: Outside of a bubble... Looking at all the humans inside.

Post by GameArena »

It'd be simple to create a cvar called sv_allowacs_cmds, which the user can set.
Carnevil

Post by Carnevil »

GameArena wrote:It'd be simple to create a cvar called sv_allowacs_cmds, which the user can set.
That would also very easily disrupt levels that don't use it in a destructive manner.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

The guy that made NUTS actually has some Doom mapping talent and good ideas, I just got the impression that for some reason he decided to be really pissed off with Doom and it's comunity and just took the piss...

Play Equinox, it's incredibly good and made by the same person. I love the last level, how he brings the idea of parellel universes and stuff... Plus he's a good musician, even the music in NUTS3 is good...

Hold on, wouldn't using scripts and stuff to disrupt Zdoom or the computor be classed as a virus attempt? And it really pisses me off that Virus' exist...

:twisted:

Return to “Editing (Archive)”