The new OpenGL ES Renderer... WOW!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
bLUEbYTE
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: The new OpenGL ES Renderer... WOW!

Post by bLUEbYTE »

dpJudas wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:38 pm
bLUEbYTE wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:57 pm I am not sure if it's particular to my setup, but none of the health bonuses had lights around them regardless of backend.
Are you sure? They can be kind of hard to notice on the ground texture. Try type "gl_texture 0" in the console.
ah, the blue light around them was quite subtle indeed. gl_texture 0 made them visible.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Those numbers look a lot better already. Obviously the higher fps for the GLES renderer is mainly the lower number of lights being active - so it definitely makes sense to add an option for that as well.
bLUEbYTE
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by bLUEbYTE »

Graf Zahl wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:50 am Those numbers look a lot better already. Obviously the higher fps for the GLES renderer is mainly the lower number of lights being active - so it definitely makes sense to add an option for that as well.
Yeah it made quite a difference, thanks.

For your information;
I decided to turn dynamic lights off to get a solid 60 FPS at 4K. I'm back at my normal playing settings with vsync on & FPS limited at 60. In OpenGL, FPS fluctuates between 50-60 FPS even on e1m1. In GLES, I'm getting a solid 60 FPS.

So there does seem to be a speed difference still between the two backends even with dynamic lights taken out of the equation.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

This is not surprising.
The shader for the full OpenGL backend is more complex because it contains all options and checks them at run time. GLES uses a large number of smaller shaders instead. On weak GPUs this will be faster, but on fast GPUs the overhead from shader switching will cancel this out entirely.
Ultimate Freedoomer

Post by Ultimate Freedoomer »

I've noticed that the OpenGL & Vulkan renderers work fine for me unless I'm running a code-heavy mod. The openGL ES renderer is smoother than butter, though, even with such mods

Return to “General”