Duke3D port

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Biff

Duke3D port

Post by Biff »

http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/buildport/duke3d/

I stumbled into this, just tried it and give it a big thumbs up! Played at 1024x768, it felt very much like the original. No errors, great config menu (use his setup utility).
Zell

Post by Zell »

the build editor doesnt run very well..but other wise a very nice port =D
Biff

Post by Biff »

I don't really know how to run that editor but the port feels quite better than the other one mentioned in another thread. Now if this guy will be able to complete the UDP networking feature - yay! Or, Randy gives us a taste of his version....
Zell

Post by Zell »

i can't get use to orginal duke controls...i have gotten use to A = strafe left, D = strafe right, W = up, S = down, right mouse = crouch, space = jump, e = use. I cant set it up that way =/
Biff

Post by Biff »

There is supposed to be a setup.exe dated 5-21-03 and it looks as though you can set all of those. Did you run setup, click "Input Devices" tab and get the nice setup windows? Don't forget the "Save Configuration" button.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I also found that if I had a duke.cfg setup by a different program, it wouldn't register my changes unless I deleted the config and set up a new one with the new setup program.
Doom

Post by Doom »

This port adds nothing to the game but higher resolutions and makes it possible for me to run it from Windows ME, cos it used to crash if sound was enabled.

However, I'm not really into Duke, I'd rather pray for a ROTT port based on Zdoom engine, if possible...
Biff

Post by Biff »

OK. That's the point for me too, to run from Windows and hopefully network so we can do multiplayer games.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Enjay wrote:I also found that if I had a duke.cfg setup by a different program, it wouldn't register my changes unless I deleted the config and set up a new one with the new setup program.
That's it then, I extracted this port into its own folder and just added duke3d.grp, then answered "yes" when it asked about creating a .con file.
ReX

Re: Duke3D port

Post by ReX »

Biff wrote:http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/buildport/duke3d/

I stumbled into this, just tried it and give it a big thumbs up!
Thanks for the link. It's great that many DooM/ZDooM fans are also DN 3D fans.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Biff wrote:Or, Randy gives us a taste of his version....
Oh, very well. Here it is. The status bar acts funny, and I think there was some other problem, but it should run. You will need to either set your controls in the console, or run it once and then edit the ini. The key to open the console is backslash (\) instead of `, because Duke already uses that for quick kick.
Attachments
duke3d.cab
My port of Duke Nukem 3D. Needs fmod.dll.
(316.38 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Playing it some more now, I realise that sounds are a bit of a problem. I tried overcoming some of the limitations in Duke's original sound code (such as only one playing copy of a single sound at a time!), but obviously it still needs more work.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Randy, do you intend that this be launched via the original Duke setup, so that a network game can be initiated?
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

No, network games are set up just like ZDoom. Use -host and -join.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hmmm, well for me the game starts with the game window positioned off the screen. I can right click the status bar button and maximise the window though.

It doesn't seem to be saving any form of ini or cfg that I can find.

The status bar comes and goes as you said it might, but it does run. I'll not go into a long list of bugs because I'm sure you don't want to start suppporting this (at least not yet).

For information, on a UK keyboard, when people normally say use the ~ (tilde) key to open the console (not that you did), the key that actually opens the console (the one just below the Esc key) does not have a ~ character on it. The key that does have the ~ character is beside the Enter key (shift for ~ and non shifted for #). Anyway, the reason I mention it is because the \ key did not open the console for me, but the ~# key (beside enter) did.

Return to “General”