Benchmark Tests - August 2021

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Benchmark Tests - August 2021

Post by Graf Zahl »

That card shows some very interesting behavior. Draw call throughput with GL2 is a lot better than with modern OpenGL. Aside from that there's no surprises and like all other AMD cards with Vulkan support clearly suggests to use that API.

That said, we really need some numbers of older GL3 cards. But from the looks of it these have become so rare by now that it's going to be difficult.
ChopBlock223
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 with extensive trimming and regedits.
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ChopBlock223 »

Would Nvidia GPUs typically give the best performance with Vulkan then? I'm looking at a new computer sometime soon.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Received test results from a user without a forum account. They did options 1, 2, 5, and 7. Reported a crash on Option 5, test 2 (GLES)

Update: User re-ran option 5 on a ramdisk and did not get a crash. Uploaded secondary results for this.

8-)
Attachments
Galaeo_benchmarks-2.zip
option 5 on ramdisk, no crashes
(3.5 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Galaeo_CrashReport.zip
Crash report for Option 5, test 2 with GLES
(20.41 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Galaeo_benchmarks.zip
Crash on Option 5, test 2 with GLES
(14.45 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

So we can forget about that. Not that it worries me one bit - this was the most recent GPU I already had declared unsupported.
One thing to know here is that in this case LZDoom full and LZDoom GL2 are the same render path - the modern renderer never gets activated on this chipset due to the poor shader performance. So the only way to get a little bit of juice out of it is by running a naked GL2 fixed function renderer on it. Which excludes it from the support roster by default as there is no shader-less render path in GZDoom.

So even with the GLES renderer there's simply no point whatsoever to even think about supprting real GL2 hardware because if the HD3000 can't shoulder it, none of the rest will either.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I think that card could run the modern path with gl_riskymodernpath.
More benchmarks from another user (Gaia74) with a Geforce GT210.
Attachments
Gaia_benchmarks.zip
(22.34 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

That CVAR no longer exists. But it doesn't matter. You can see from the GLES numbers that it is far, far too slow. This mirrors my experience with a HD3000 equipped Mac some 6 years ago. It was slow as shit with the fixed function path and totally unusable with shaders. It's a 10 year old, totally obsolete integrated chipset so there's nothing to expect.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

drfrag wrote:I think that card could run the modern path with gl_riskymodernpath.
More benchmarks from another user (Gaia74) with a Geforce GT210.

That's more like it. This hardware generation benefits greatly from the GLES backend.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

Is my laptop specs usefull to pass via the benchmark considering i can't even run LZdoom in openGL mode?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

The benchmarks are not set up to run anything other than OpenGL or Vulkan, so if you can't run OpenGL then no the benchmarks won't be too useful.
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

Here are my results, i changed my laptop hdd to an ssd but outside of that i have been wondering why the darkest hour just showed the menu and thats it so i would usually start a new game in it, if it is necessary il redo the tests with darkest hour, outside all instances of gzdoom and lzdoom run fine with mostly lag spikes, there was a crash when i tabbed out of the first test in option 5 but it happend only once so i redid the test on that one.
benchmarks.zip
(22.53 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
here are the crash reports if you need them
CrashReport.zip
(28.31 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Proydoha

Post by Proydoha »

Here are my results:
Attachments
benchmarks.zip
(27.41 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Here is mines, on Intel HD4600. Didn't run the Vulkan bench since i don't support that. The pipelining ones did kick in the processor a little, and the GLES version has some rather significant performance boosts (+20 FPS) on a few of the maps. Hope it is of use.
Attachments
benchmarks.zip
(22.63 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
lemming

Post by lemming »

Modern desktop hardware, discrete GPU.

Amusing how slow the bridge in Frozen Time is compared to...everything.
Attachments
benchmarks.zip
(27.26 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It's one of the scenes in all existing Doom maps with the most rendered number of linedefs around - only recently surpassed by MAP02 of Archi-Tek. Were all those crossbeam bridges made from 3D floors the map would render 1.5x faster. I once made such a map for testing, but can't release it due to missing permissions.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

The crossbeam bridges aren't even the biggest problem in the scene as I understand it. Just - literally everything in the scene has so many linedefs, especially the cliffs on the sides. It's a prime example of everything to do in how *NOT* to make a map, at least if your intention is to make it playable and have a decent frame rate.

Yes - the result is beautiful (no question about that) - but is it really worth it in the end? :) It still beats 60 FPS in most renderers on modern systems though (with the monsters frozen in place, though) so I would say that is pretty good, all things considered. So that isn't an issue - at least until the monsters start processing ... then it's more of an issue again.

Return to “Developer Blog”