Hell-Forged - Episode 2 (Restarting Eventually)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Amuscaria

Re: Hell-Forged - Episode 2 (Corpse Spider completed - P24)

Post by Amuscaria »

ActionAlligator wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:50 am I hope your Doomguy isn't a jazz player, though? xD
:?:
Doominer441

Post by Doominer441 »

A quick question I just thought of, are the Banshees supposed to be more corrupted Nephilim, or are they corrupted humans?
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Doominer441 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:27 pm A quick question I just thought of, are the Banshees supposed to be more corrupted Nephilim, or are they corrupted humans?
They're Nephilim, but not quite as tall as the giant warrior elite the Knights are made of.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bloodhound Final Animation test:

ActionAlligator

Post by ActionAlligator »

Amuscaria wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:57 pm
ActionAlligator wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:50 am I hope your Doomguy isn't a jazz player, though? xD
:?:
Sorry, I was referencing the crossroads demon mythos (from Africa which made its way to America via slave trade) where you make a deal with a demon at a crossroads. Also, I should've said blues player, not jazz :lol: Was made popular by the music and folklore of American blues musician Robert Johnson, who supposedly made a deal to get really good at blues and was supposedly being chased by hellhounds when his time was up, from his songs "Crossroads" & "Hell Hound on My Trail". It was involved in multiple subplots of the tv series Supernatural :P
Amuscaria wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:30 pm Bloodhound Final Animation test
Dude! That looks so cool, man! Btw, since it has both walking and running animations, guessing it has two stages of a_chase? Dependent on blood tokens perhaps? :)
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

ActionAlligator wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:22 pm Btw, since it has both walking and running animations, guessing it has two stages of a_chase? Dependent on blood tokens perhaps? :)
It sprints if the target is in line of sight, but walks when it loses sight after a bit. Not sure what sort of gameplay implications its gonna have.
ActionAlligator

Amuscaria wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:50 pm It sprints if the target is in line of sight, but walks when it loses sight after a bit. Not sure what sort of gameplay implications its gonna have.
Oooo, interesting! So I guess the main gameplay aspects I can think of is that alerting it from a different room or behind a wall or w/e keeps it less threatening and also its less of a threat when player runs away or hides from it.

Will it change the way the player plays? Well, if it's a dangerous or especially VERY dangerous enemy, say one that runs really fast and does lots of dmg in melee, it would actually make this line of sight stuff very, very interesting to play around imo! I'm thinking something like a Fleshpound/Scrake from Killing Floor game. Imagine using something like that as ambush in tight, winding corridors, adrenaline starts pumping and you want to gtfo of its sight lines quick before you die!

However, if it's an enemy on the tier of slightly more powerful pinky, which I think is how you described it, might not change the player's decision making much except in certain situations (low health panic, being surrounded/blocked, etc.), but tbh I still think little enemy quirks like this add flavor and variety nonetheless!

Alternatives to consider are something akin to adrenaline/energy levels, i.e. it runs until it gets tired and then walks, rinse and repeat; or a blood scent, i.e. when player takes dmg and/or hits a certain low health threshold, the hound starts to run instead of walk; or maybe some combination, i.e. it behaves exactly as you said, but when the player gets low on health, it sprints even when player isn't in sight, and if the player is both in sight and low on health, it sprints even faster. I know you didn't ask for any of these ideas haha, but I like your mod an awful lot, so couldn't help myself :D Look forward to fighting these guys :)
Doominer441

Post by Doominer441 »

I'm posting this here since I don't want to necro Hell-Forged 1's post, but I noticed playing it the Hellsmith's charge afterimages are rendered completely solid (ie not translucent). Is that how its supposed to be? Because ordinarily that looks very awkward.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Doominer441 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:19 pm I'm posting this here since I don't want to necro Hell-Forged 1's post, but I noticed playing it the Hellsmith's charge afterimages are rendered completely solid (ie not translucent). Is that how its supposed to be? Because ordinarily that looks very awkward.
They're transparent in my game. O_o What port and version of the port are you using?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Doominer441 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:19 pm I'm posting this here since I don't want to necro Hell-Forged 1's post, but I noticed playing it the Hellsmith's charge afterimages are rendered completely solid (ie not translucent). Is that how its supposed to be? Because ordinarily that looks very awkward.
In "Display options", have you set "classic transparency" to "vanilla forced"?
Doominer441

Post by Doominer441 »

That seemed to due it. I wonder what stuff's become wonky in my mod from having this setting configured like that?
Gez

Post by Gez »

This setting basically disables translucency since vanilla Doom did not have any sort of translucency...
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Bloodhound completed:

ActionAlligator

Re: Hell-Forged - Episode 2 (Bloodhound completed - P26)

Nice! Man, that snout break in the death sequence is brutal...
Amuscaria

Re: Hell-Forged - Episode 2 (Bloodhound completed - P26)

Post by Amuscaria »

I will be taking a break from Doom-modding to work on artwork. As such, I've added all of the new monsters I currently have completed as a public resource. See the Doomworld HF Resource Thread opening post for the download link (since I can't attach files here): https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... uff-added/

This resource wad is functional, meaning all monsters and weapons are completely usable. I've fixed up a lot of errors from the previous decorate and updated some of the old monster sprites for more polish. You'll need the Hell-Forged v1.11 to use them in-game, as it needs some resources from the previous mod. Load this file AFTER HFv1.11. Use console to spawn in the monsters.
ActionAlligator

Re: Hell-Forged - Episode 2 (HF2 Resources updated - P26 - Project on Hold)

Thx again for the beautiful art thus far :) Good luck with your other artwork!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”