Toby Accessibility Mod - DOOM for the blind [V7.0 RELEASED!]

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
t_doom-shroom-5440
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Slackware Linux 15.0

Re: Toby Accessibility Mod - DOOM for the blind [NEW MAP PACK RELEASED!]

Post by t_doom-shroom-5440 »

Hello again all:
I had to read up on what's been discussed, and am awaiting approval of my posts, but I too like the idea of voice packs saying the various things a player would say. I think a good starting place would be the chat macros I found in the gzdoom.ini file. Still, I also like the idea of at least in Linux, the chat system going through speech-dispatcher, as it would mean probably a lot less work for you.
As Stormdragon said, the console dumps out a bunch of stuff, and any way we can leverage that would make things easier for everyone.
Just my two clinks worth, as I can't code to save my life, but I'll play Doom all day if that's what it takes. Bring on the Mountain Dew! Yaaaaaay!
b
t_doom-shroom-5440

Heya there all:
I have a question about a key binding and maybe a feature request for the mod.
First, I noticed that the X key is bound to "crouch" and the C key is bound to "+crouch".
If I understand right, the plus sign in front of a command is that the function is executed until the key is released and if no plus sign then the key is a toggle.
Please feel free to correct me on this, as I have no sight, therefore can't tell if my char is crouching or not.
I was thinking though, that if I didn't use the crouch key bound to X it would be a perfect key for a snap 180 degrees feature.
This would be cool, because you could run around an enimy, then snap 180 degrees and shoot them the way they seem to like to do to the player.
Thanks muchee for listening.
Take care... Cheereo!
stormdragon2976
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by stormdragon2976 »

@t_doom-shroom-5440 a quick way to turn 180 degrees would be great. I would use such a feature all the time. :)
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

@kodi - Cool :) Sure, I'd like to see what you got there. I think it would be very beneficial for the Toby Accessibility Mod.

@t_doom-shroom-5440 - Yes, stormdragon was talking to me about this recently. I think it would be pretty cool and helpful to make it easier for users to launch the Toby Accessibility Mod with which ever wad they want. Especially for version 7.0, we now have batch files as a way to help players hop right into the game quickly and easily instead of using shortcuts like in version 6.1. I saw your other posts, too. In regard to the 180 degree turn and having X as the hotkey, I can definitely do that :)

-Alando1
kodi

Post by kodi »

Here's the TTS thing I cooked up, Alando1:
Download speak_generic_v1.pk3
This will require a little bit of work to integrate, but you can test it out immediately by opening the console and typing
netevent "!speak hello world"
for example and then hitting enter. Check out the readme for some notes on use. Use the OverlapFactor cvar to reduce delay between words.
t_doom-shroom-5440

Heya there all:
@Alando1: Thank you thank you again for the 180 key! It's such a little thing, but very awesome to have.
Looking much forward to the Deluxe Map pack being compatible with other wads. The Operation MDK map is compatible with the Doom Metal Mod version 6, and that lovely metal music really brings out the spirit of the game.
I do like the midi music too sometimes for if it can be said, a mellower more psychedellic alternative.
Again as always, thank you much for all the awesomeness!
Take care... Cheereo!
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

@kodi - Pretty nifty mod you got there :) That's pretty cool. It is similar to what we have in the Save/Load Game section of the accessible menu. In addition, having a built-in dictionary is a brilliant idea. My team will take a look at it. Thank you for sharing this :)

@t_doom-shroom-5440 - No problem :) I'm sure you'll get a kick out of version 7.0.

-Alando1
t_doom-shroom-5440

Hey there all:
I've probably had way too much coffee or Mountain Dew before thinking about this, but here's a thought.
While the audio manual is pretty cool, and does explain things pretty well, I have wondered for a while now, if the Toby Doom pack could have a set of tutorial maps to get the beginner up to speed with navigation, targeting and some basic concepts of the game.
My wife is hearing me play Doom a lot nowadays, and is getting interested, and as I was playing Audio Quake when I thought of this, because they did make a little set of tutorial maps for it.
Just a thought, I had...
Thanks much as always for listening.
Take care... Cheereo!
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

@t_doom-shroom-5440 - Funny you should mention that. One of the new things that has been added to the Toby Accessibility Mod is a demo map where players can practice using the features, get acquainted with the items, decorations, enemies, and so on. The audio manual will still be included, too.

-Alando1
t_doom-shroom-5440

@Alando1:
Damn, that sounds awesome! Are there or will there be narrator hints throughout the map that trigger, or is it just wander and be surprised??
Either way, lookin' forward to it!
We'll see if we can make her into one of us space marines... HURAh!
Damn, the speech synth really didn't render that very well... hehehehe!
Take care... Cheereo!
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

@t_doom-shroom-5440 - No, unfortunately. Players will have to feel their way around for the most part, but that's what makes DOOM fun :) You can always use the Area Scanner System to get some idea of what's around, though. It doesn't tell you much about the size and shape of the room/area you're in, but one can picture the layout based on the proximity and direction of objects scattered throughout the area. With the combined use of the different accessibility features, hopefully, the audio feedback they give will help blind players paint a picture of the level in their head.

-Alando1
t_doom-shroom-5440

Heya there all:
@Alando1:
Thanks muchee for that quick response. If it's anything like I hear with the video, it's gonna be awesome!
Take care... Cheereo!
t_doom-shroom-5440

Heya there all:
@Alondo1:
I just found out about the hotfix you made for Operation MDK, and downloaded it. I am just curious, since there was nothing in the archive to indicate what was fixed.
Just curious, thanks muchee once again!
Take care... Cheereo!
Alando1

Re: Toby Accessibility Mod - DOOM for the blind [V7.0 RELEASED!]

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, the Toby Accessibility Mod V7.0 is now available for download. If anyone has any questions or feedback, feel free to let me and my team know. Enjoy! :)

-Alando1
t_doom-shroom-5440

Re: Toby Accessibility Mod - DOOM for the blind [V7.0 RELEASED!]

Heya there all:
Today is a work day, but I've played with the new version a little today, and all I can say is WOW!
I just don't have the words to express how awesome this really is!
I'll write more when I play this weekend-style.
All I can do now is say a really loud Thank You and Team Toby!
Take care... Cheereo!

Return to “General”