Trench Foot (New story trailer!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Re: Trench Foot (CountryCide released!)

Post by Enjay »

Mooney wrote:We'll have far more trenches and bunkers to explore when chapter one is released.
I look forward to it, :D

Out of interest, I've had a very thorough poke around with UDB in the first map to figure out how some stuff was done. I was really surprised how little ACS scripting there was - mostly it was just used for messages. Other than that, things were handled more "mechanically" (e.g. two lines around the key instead of a script with two instructions attached to the key etc.

One thing that really stood out was how the big battle after picking up the key was managed. e.g. some enemies are activated by the death of other enemies and, assuming that I figured it out correctly, a big wave of bad guys is triggered when one particular, but not particularly special, enemy gets killed. I guess this means the timing of the battle is randomised (the trigger enemy could be killed at pretty much any point). However, it would also be very easy to count the enemies in a script (they've all got TIDs already) and trigger waking up more enemies once the first attack has been reduced by a certain number.

So, I was really just wondering why you chose to make the map so scripting-lite, especially in a story-driven mod with really rather advanced techniques elsewhere?

It's not a complaint or anything - just something that surprised me and I was wondering what the decision making process was behind it.
Mooney

Post by Mooney »

Yeah it's merely a testament to my former inexperience with acs and doom modding in general, not to mention a rushed release (I was bored/depressed with it at the time).

There are all kinds of silly and inefficient things like that in there that would get me beaten up by the team if I pulled them now.

Not saying you won't find anything dumb in countrycide though, going to patch the release soon to fix a couple of minor things and a few minor bugs.

I'm certainly not the brightest spark, but hopefully I make up for it with imagination lol
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Fair enough. I thought there might be some reasoning behind it other than lack of experience simply because the rest of the mod was so involved. It's still a very effective map. I'll need to poke around in Countrycide to see what's what there too. ;)

These days, pulling mods apart to see how they were done is almost as much fun as playing is for me. When it's a particularly good mod, it's even more fun to get an insight into the creation process of the mod.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

I guess a lot can be said for simplicity. A lot less to go wrong. Something I'm starting to learn the hard way...

Also, dropping by to say this WAS GORGEOUS and thoroughly enjoyable. Amazing follow-up and looking forward to more.
Mooney

Post by Mooney »

Oh man, again its an honor.

Ashes mods and maps/weapons = my favorite newschool mods.

Incan/bgpa missions = my favorite older school mods.

I do try to keep things as uncomplicated as possible, keeps me from tripping over myself.

Thanks for the kind words guys!
Hope we can please you again with our next release and look forward to seeing more from you guys.
Serathis

Post by Serathis »

The whatever monster just might have a bit too many hitpoints and the cultists move maybe a bit too fast. But otherwise it was excellent, looking forward to it!
Spoiler:
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

Just here to say this map (countrycide) was absolutely amazing. Beautiful, engrossing, terrifying! Loved the tight spaces of a mansion atop of something sinister and with enormous scale. Haunting use of sounds. The external parts were truly beautiful but a little hard to navigate and the automap was giving me nothing! 😄
Looking forward to see what comes next!
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Played through this a few days ago both vanilla and with Hideous Destructor. Excellent architectural mapping and atmosphere overall, actually got my heart pumping in some of the heavier sections, jolly well done!
About the only thing I can think of to complaint about is probably the audio for the spookies that are just a pinch too high (especially with that last fight where a bunch of 'em assault you at once) along with the maze that feels a bit copy/paste. My FPS also seems to take a hit whenever I'm fighting the creatures, especially at close range (in the last clip below I had to use HDest's doorbusting mechanic so I could retreat and fight the lot as they come instead of duking it out in the middle 'cause of the FPS drain when I get swarmed), but I figured it's just my old PC not playing well with the effects.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... -10-88.mp4
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... -18-26.mp4
sandwedge
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by sandwedge »

Hey there, I enjoyed your mod so much I played it a couple times and then made this commentated playthrough. The atmosphere inspired me so much I read the intro a little bit in character lol. I read you were looking for voice actors and let me just say I hope you find someone a little better than me, but I had fun! XD

Anyway I was blown away by this. One of the most visually impressive Doom TCs I’ve played, from the lush forests full of wildlife and ambient sounds to the dank caverns and haunted houses. Excellent story telling and pacing from area to area. The combat is fast and lethal, and while you only get a couple guns they’re satisfying to use and force you to think strategically. And of course, the descent into horror was well done, and the enemies end up genuinely dangerous enough to inspire fear!

The only minor criticism I have is that sometimes navigation can be tricky without an automap, especially in the dungeon labyrinths and the densely forested areas. I had to edit out some of that, even on a third playthrough. However, I think using the paper map and being observant are part of the fun and atmosphere, so I wouldn’t push that criticism too far. Perhaps a slight change here or there might help. There were also a few minor typos in the subs (skeleton iirc) but no biggie.

That’s really all the constructive criticism I could think of, because I played the Trench Foot alpha before this and wasn’t prepared for how you’ve outdone yourselves! Definitely looking forward to Trench Foot and seeing where the story goes after this, congratulations on this release!!
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

i just complete it. And i think i will play it again - its that good.

lack of automap is good - i feel much more immerse having to navigate in the world, and trying to remember where am I, and where should i go, instead having cheap GPS.
Catacombs are ok, i understand that was the point to make the player lost in the labyrinth. BIG chambers were great, i wish there were more gameplay in it.

Ambient is superb, the maps are soo good, that I would like to spend more time exploring such gorgeous maps, looking for switches, trying to jump to other place, climb etc.

Combat is done very well, it's not too much of it, the pacing and placement of monster is fantastic. Fit very well. Except the final encounter, which feel out of place. Its a standard, predictable boss fight. All the ammo and medpacks scatter around to refresh your character to max. better would be to leave the player in current condition, but throw at him something easier.
Spoiler:
I expect some catch at the end, you know, having to be clever. Die multiple times to find the "solution".
Mooney

Post by Mooney »

New TrenchFoot video up.

New article also up.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/trench-foot- ... ep-turning

Also I have a Patreon now.

If you feel like helping me out and getting involved in the planning process for future prequel episodes (calling them FootNotes) see the link below, cheers.

https://www.patreon.com/L0KKENMOON

Thanks for the kind words guys and the constructuve criticism we take it all in and hope to tighten things up.

Thanks for all the videos too they're great fun to watch!
sandwedge wrote:monster cannot move through trees, but can move through walls in 1st encounter
Ah bro you must be mistaken they literally no-clip through everything there is nowhere they can't reach you.

Check out ZikShadows second clip.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

no way - a rocket launcher sprite? this must be just for intro.

You are right it no clip through trees as well... i was mistaken because he stops in front of the tree to shoot projectiles.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I did play CountryCide a few days ago and i never had the chance to reply... Until now! So i must say, it's a very immersive TC! The maps overall have claustrophobic feel into them and it's definitely challenging and scary at the same time. I also loved the ghost boss fight. Definitely came out of nowhere.

One complain i have might be the ammo shortage. Despite i make every shot count, Heathens take rather too much bullets and move quite fast. My Sword is sadly far too weak against them. It can happen in harder difficulties. Other than that, cool TC!
karry299

Post by karry299 »

I dont know about this...
"The way is open" - thanks, but...where am i even going ?
The mansion atmosphere was solid, but the woods and labyrinth are just a pain. I've spent too much time just making circles in the woods, since there is little to differentiate one area from another.
And wasnt there a list like "10 do nots for adventure games" that said something to the effect of "Do not put the player in the labyrinth, except if the entire point of your game is to escape it" ? I can very much agree with that sentiment.
IvanDobrovski

Post by IvanDobrovski »

karry299 wrote:I dont know about this...
"The way is open" - thanks, but...where am i even going ?
The mansion atmosphere was solid, but the woods and labyrinth are just a pain. I've spent too much time just making circles in the woods, since there is little to differentiate one area from another.
And wasnt there a list like "10 do nots for adventure games" that said something to the effect of "Do not put the player in the labyrinth, except if the entire point of your game is to escape it" ? I can very much agree with that sentiment.
Nobody likes it when games follow cliche rules all the time.

Getting lost is part of the deal. It's meant to be an immersive experience with a lot of environmental story telling. How much sense would it make if this were just Doom where you had the automap and the combat was just you getting lead by the nose all the time? There's Doom for that. You are in a place you haven't been before with dense fauna, occult running rampant. You can't expect everything to be Room A to Room B (even though this still is that, just not as bad). It also helps build the narrative and supports the story. Who built those catacombs? Why are they there? What were they doing there? None of those are really explained and you are kept wondering.

I'd like to add to all that by saying I prefer CountryCide much more than Trenchfoot. I like the direction in CountryCide more, and it felt less Doom and more its own thing, which is a very good thing. I'd honestly like to see more of it.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”