SIREN | v0.85

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DitheredOutput

SIREN | v0.85

Post by DitheredOutput »

Welcome to Siren, a mod built on ID's latest tech demo 'Doom II'

This aims to be an experience closer to an 'Aliens' game but with the variety and gameplay benefits the rosta of Doom monsters brings

This is a slower, more perilous mod that aims to tell its story through its own set of levels.

Thanks for looking. Any feedback would be great.

Gzdoom 4.10 or above

Mouse look: Yes
Crouch/Jump: Yes
Flashlight: Yes (included)

Keybinds needed

Jump
Crouch
Alt fire
Reload
Use inventory item
Flashlight
Open PDA

Siren now has a 'mod only' version. This means it can be played with any mapset.

V0.82 Siren - Mod Only
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zWwZyz ... drive_link

Download 0.85b - Campaign Demo
https://dithered-output.itch.io/siren-doom-ii-mod

Screens
Spoiler:
ChangeLog
Spoiler:
Join in on Discord

https://discord.gg/W4ugJHMhMX

Buy the mod a coffee

https://ko-fi.com/sirendoommod
Last edited by DitheredOutput on Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:24 pm, edited 71 times in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: SIREN | v0.1

Post by wildweasel »

Do you have any screenshots of these weapons and level?

(edit) Thank you.
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

I can't wait for this ..I already told you on YouTube..
It's amazing..

If you like I can offer myself as a Playtester ..
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

From the video, it really looks as if you have captured the Aliens-like feel that you were going for. I've got to say that the presence of stealth monsters bothers me though. I rarely find them fun to play against.
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

Ferretmanjcdenton wrote:
If you like I can offer myself as a Playtester ..
Absolutely, that would be great. Grab the download.

It would be great to get feedback on:

Gameplay. Siren is the Smoke monster that will chase you around certain parts of the level. It's pretty much indestructible and can kill you pretty quickly. It means you're forced to run away at certain points and it can get quite tense.
I foresee this being quite divisive...

There are two ways around it, use dedicated switches to teleport it away or subdue it with enough fire power. In both cases it will eventually come back.

Performance. I've tried to restrain myself from using everything GZDoom has to offer but I'm a little concerned about performance hits using reflective floors.

Level design. Is it fun and logical enough to get through? Are there enough resources etc.
Enjay wrote: I've got to say that the presence of stealth monsters bothers me though. I rarely find them fun to play against.
Thanks Enjay. I agree with this point. They never actually made it in.
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

So far I like what I'm seeing. Here are a few criticisms I have. First, switch the triple burst and full auto on the assault rifle. It makes more sense for a triple burst when aiming more precisely. ADS should also cause crosshairs to disappear.
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

TheOldKingCole wrote:So far I like what I'm seeing. Here are a few criticisms I have. First, switch the triple burst and full auto on the assault rifle. It makes more sense for a triple burst when aiming more precisely. ADS should also cause crosshairs to disappear.
Thanks for the comment, I think you're right. It definitely makes the most sense. I wanted there to be some 'cost' to full auto so the weapon isn't too OP for what is essentially a starting weapon.
There's other ways to balance it with accuracy and damage differences though.
Techy_koi

Re: SIREN | v0.2

Post by Techy_koi »

I have to say that this Mod/TC is very good the tension and Claustrophobic Atmosphere is top notch, along with the Siren entity around every corner is good, and I have to say that v0.2 is getting good loving every playtest I'm having.

Down side is the main hall due to the reflective floors it does drops my gosh a little bit also v0.2 has an issue/bug in the shotgun between the ammo count 12-10 the shotgun won't reload, also the minigun moves a bit to the left side a bit when you select it.

But nonetheless this is a very well made Mod/TC and I love it to bits, can't wait for v0.3!!!
DitheredOutput

Re: SIREN | v0.2

Post by DitheredOutput »

Hi, thanks for playing.

Re: the reflective floor. I'll probably take it out. I couldn't be sure of the performance cost without feedback, but I don't see many mods/wads using them so I guess that's pretty telling. While I'm aiming for a certain level of visual fidelity, I want to give it every chance of being playable by as many people as possible. Thats kinda what Doom is about.

I've come across some mega, game-crashing bugs that will be getting fixed very soon and I'll fix those weapons along with that too.

Thanks for the feedback!
DitheredOutput

Re: SIREN | v0.25 (Testers Needed)

Post by DitheredOutput »

Posted a major stability fix.
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

Hey I heard you need testers. I would be glad to help. I have some experience with testing mods, specifically Ali's Brutal Doom/Ali's Challenger.

PS. When the mod reaches 1.0 will there be a weapons only version?
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

That's pretty much the roadmap to 1.0, yeah. A finished mod that will play nicely with other wads. Realistically, the levels will be a longer process and come later...
Techy_koi

Post by Techy_koi »

Back again to test, I will report any bugs or any kinds of weird stuff happening
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

TheOldKingCole wrote:Hey I heard you need testers. I would be glad to help. I have some experience with testing mods, specifically Ali's Brutal Doom/Ali's Challenger.
Brilliant, I love that mod!

Do you know what (this is my first mod), what's the best way, in your experience, to approach testing? Should I just continue to post incremental releases on here?
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

DoomwithaView wrote:
TheOldKingCole wrote:Hey I heard you need testers. I would be glad to help. I have some experience with testing mods, specifically Ali's Brutal Doom/Ali's Challenger.
Brilliant, I love that mod!

Do you know what (this is my first mod), what's the best way, in your experience, to approach testing? Should I just continue to post incremental releases on here?
That would be a good way to get input. Another is the test any random aspect of the mod to check for any bugs. For example I did a all weapon cheat and checked every weapons firing, reloading, and switching animation. I found out that switching the lever action rifle to the regular shotgun would show a single frame of the regular shotgun before the sprite switches back to the deselect animation.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”