SIREN | v0.85

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DefectiveByDesign
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: SIREN TC | v0.6 - Demo

Post by DefectiveByDesign »

Hi, can something be done about nerfing the smoke monster? This thing ruins the mod for a number of reasons.

I watched a youtuber play this mod, which got me interested, and there was NO smoke monster in his 30 minutes of playthrough. I try this mod though, and the monster appears right after the soda vending machine. This makes me feel like the monster event is bugged out, like it wasn't supposed to happen until later, but it instead traveled through the walls and attacks the player prematurely. So that's one aspect that ruins the game, as it feels like a bait and switch, bugged AI, broken event or something.

Second point. It's basically a terry wad monster, which doesn't belong in a mod going for quality. You can't kill it, unless you maybe use console commands meant for dealing with terry wad monsters. Not to mention, nothing stops it from following you around everywhere, even at the beginning of the game, and it basically kills you no matter what and follows you nonstop through any room, which completely ruins the game. The AI isn't sophisticated enough to give the player space to enjoy the mod.

I feel like the monster should be limited to a chase sequence part of the level, and maybe killed off by an event like trapping it inside a machine. Perhaps that was the goal even, but if so, the current version doesn't work right.

I found a bug with the mod too, as saving the gzdoom config wipes out the custom keybinds. Which I didn't realize until after I changed a few settings, then wondered why the flashlight quit working. Well, apparently that was because it deletes the keybinds. Which is a problem, especially when there are a few actions that don't have keys set, and saving the config after you set them deletes the other binds for whatever reason.

Graphics suggestion: Considering that this mod is going for "dark", albeit it defaults too dark for my laptop to see anything, which is fine since I can adjust the brightness, anyways there are some other lighting mods that cast shadows when you use the flashlight. This might be something to look into, considering that would contribute to the atmosphere. That said, it wouldn't be good as an option you can't disable, because those mods tank performance on my laptop.

Other things: needs crosshair scaling option for high resolution, lean feature would be useful for this style of gameplay mod.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

There's a bunch of Siren system buttons scattered throughout the map that teleports it in a room and seals it for a short time. I think you can also stun it if you hit it hard enough. Anyways, considering I've beaten this mapset with Hideous Destructor of all things, it's very much doable.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... -31-52.mp4
RubyEyeShabranigdu
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by RubyEyeShabranigdu »

This monster is just annoying!
I don't like immortal monsters!
Unless it's a survival game like Amnesia!

In my opinion of course xD
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

Hi, There's another round of balancing coming that will make shooting it more effective as well as making the charging sounds audible from great distances so it doesn't sneak up on you.

Even in its current state you can keep it at bay with well-timed shots and often just sidestep it's attacks. It's very avoidable even in tight spaces once you learn it's behaviour. There are also the aforementioned switches to momentarily disable it. They also allow you to 'escape the area' after which it has little chance of finding you again.

I do get it: it's divisive. However, If it's too soft it's not a threat and it doesn't provide any tension.

The lighting in some areas will be revised. And the flashlight is an ongoing revision. It's a real fine balance with performance as it can cripple things on these maps pretty quickly.

Lean is definitely something I'd consider adding, I'm also weighing up a custom cover system. I'll look into the save/binding bugs. Thanks!

Edit. I do.feel like half of the initial issues with McSmoke can be revised with a bit of a tweak to the map. Better introduction where it doesn't kill you immediately, make it clearer what the switches do etc...
RubyEyeShabranigdu
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by RubyEyeShabranigdu »

DoomwithaView wrote:Hi, There's another round of balancing coming that will make shooting it more effective as well as making the charging sounds audible from great distances so it doesn't sneak up on you.

Even in its current state you can keep it at bay with well-timed shots and often just sidestep it's attacks. It's very avoidable even in tight spaces once you learn it's behaviour. There are also the aforementioned switches to momentarily disable it. They also allow you to 'escape the area' after which it has little chance of finding you again.

I do get it: it's divisive. However, If it's too soft it's not a threat and it doesn't provide any tension.

The lighting in some areas will be revised. And the flashlight is an ongoing revision. It's a real fine balance with performance as it can cripple things on these maps pretty quickly.

Lean is definitely something I'd consider adding, I'm also weighing up a custom cover system. I'll look into the save/binding bugs. Thanks!

Edit. I do.feel like half of the initial issues with McSmoke can be revised with a bit of a tweak to the map. Better introduction where it doesn't kill you immediately, make it clearer what the switches do etc...
Yes! That gonna be nice! :D
Siren has so much potential!
Can't wait for the next updates!
unknownradio

Post by unknownradio »

Finished it a while ago and still amazed with how good it is. I've seen some people complaining about the smoke monster being unkillable and that it ruins the game, and I strongly disagrees. First, it's pretty easy to escape from it and there are ways to deal with this creature(using the sirens, even if it took me a while to realize it's point, but I liked that it wasn't trown in my face, disrespecting my intelligence). Also the feeling of uneasy is on point. You're always on edge. I really hope you don't remove it or nerf it. The maps design are really good, I got lost sometimes because the lack of info, but that was it.
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

It's been a while but lots has been worked on.

Here's v0.7 being tested with Enjay's fantastic Waterlab map.

ebb

Post by ebb »

vrry nice
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

I'm excited at where the nex map is heading, but it's taking a while...

Here's some shots.

https://imgur.com/a/Lguamvu
grotski
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: SIREN TC | v0.7 - 'Mod Only'

Post by grotski »

Playing around with the mod version on various maps. I don't know if it's just me getting to be an old man and not having the reflexes but damn this is impossible on pretty much anything tougher than regular doom(Try getting through No End In Sight e1m9). Imps just overrun you immediately. Them being immune to fire is a bummer too. Got this really cool flamethrower shotgun thing and almost all of the enemies can't be killed by it. Having a dedicated key for health restore would be killer.

Think this is very stylish and slick but I've gotta play with a custom difficulty mod to make it remotely fair. TC comes foremost of course, wouldn't demand that you change your vision either.
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

Thanks for playing. I agree it's rock-hard on maps that throw a lot of enemies at you.

The goal when starting the project was to make small numbers of enemies deadly so I didn't have to pile hoards into maps to make them a challenge. This obviously makes some community maps impossible. Well-designed maps that offer at least some cover should still be doable, albeit with several dozen deaths and tears in your eyes.

Ultimately, I guess the mod isn't made for all types of maps but does work well with those with smaller scale combat encounters.

Agree on the flamethrower. I'll make the flamer thrower primary fire damage imps but have them remain impervious to actual flames.
shibuya

Post by shibuya »

The button bind to health would be a good idea. Will make a handful of slaughter-lite maps doable, I find the #1 thing I'm doing in those is trying to cycle to medkit but dying before I get to it to then "use item". The flamethrower with the imps too, also a good idea.
snich

Post by snich »

How to make ADS toggle-able?
Unregret
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 9+1

Post by Unregret »

Few things to consider for new update:
- A player model suitable for this horror theme. (Chasecam+)
- A separated ally mod.
- Weapon Icons for Knife and Pistol (for Gearbox mod)
- Throw Grenade should be rebind-able, such as G... while F should be other weapon function or even slow motion (F.E.A.R gameplay) button; just in case of new weapon concepts.
DitheredOutput

Post by DitheredOutput »

Thanks for recent feedback.

Toggleable ADS will be back in the next version.
Deadicated Heal Bind has been added.
Pistol and knife sprites added. Thanks.

Player sprites are on the agenda as I would like to use mirrors.
They're a pain to make for many reasons though.

Grenades should be rebindable. It's essentially the 'use inventory' bind as multiple grenade varieties are selectable. If you mean a dedicated bind for specific grenade types - potentially - I don't want to get carried away with a few hundred-thousand binds though.

It's unlikely I'll add slow motion myself anytime soon as there are lots of great mini mods to do things like that.

Finally, I'm not sure what is meant by 'separate ally mod'...

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”