Raze officially revealed!

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Gez

Re: Raze officially revealed!

Post by Gez »

Dancso wrote:What are the odds of us seeing multiplayer for Shadow Warrior at some point?
They are exactly equal to the odds of a netcode developer joining the team.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Slim, actually. The netcode in Shadow Warrior is entirely non-functional, and unless someone really takes their time with this it's not going to happen.
Tea Monster

Post by Tea Monster »

Opened Raze 0.4.1 and was greeted by this. I've not edited the ini file at all. The only game files in the application folder are Duke3D and Redneck Rampage.

It will open Ion Fury. I didn't have time to see if it played without bugs.
Attachments
raze01.PNG
Gez

Post by Gez »

Yeah, it can autodetect games installed from GOG or Steam.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

Finally had a chance to try this out, feels and looks amazing! You've done it again Graf, and its still only alpha! I know it wouldn't be accurate to the original, and improvements aren't a priority before accuracy and stability, but what are the odds of getting an optional reload button for Duke? Still the only thing that bugs me about the game, now that we actually have a good engine to run it on.

Edit: Also, idk if this is the place for bug reports, but alt tabbing out of the game screen and back in makes the mouse not work. Going in and out of the menu fixes it though.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Trusty McLegit wrote:but what are the odds of getting an optional reload button for Duke? Still the only thing that bugs me about the game, now that we actually have a good engine to run it on.
Keep in mind that this is still Duke Nukem. It's not that easy, especially for the internal weapons. There's too much scripted code involved here.

Trusty McLegit wrote: Edit: Also, idk if this is the place for bug reports, but alt tabbing out of the game screen and back in makes the mouse not work. Going in and out of the menu fixes it though.
[/quote]

Known issue. It seems that the focus management isn't fully working. Unfortunately this is almost undebuggable because the code also gets triggered when there is a break into the debugger.
PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

About reloading, any Duke3D mod have this are using CON scripting, the Duke's pistol just auto-reloading by design.

I'm not sure if Raze can do something "global reloading" but...well it still possible to do without the engine's native supports.
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

As a general question (asking here as I didn't think it was worthy of a new thread), since the time you've forked EDuke32 until now, has most of your work being making Raze into what it is today or have there been backports of fixes from upstream's code?

Obviously there's a significant divergence from their codebase, will it be impossible to keep up or will you try to work things in as per what you've changed? Like today, a number of commits have occurred on their end including that fire issue in E1L1, will some or all of them make it in?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It depends on the area where changes are being made. For example the original menu code from EDuke is completely gone - any changes in there would either have to be reimplemented or skipped, depending on what they are supposed to accomplish.

The input code has seen some major changes, so anything from there will reqire a manual merge.

The gameplay code and scripting engine have been left mostly unchanged, most changes there can still be applied without conflicts and if there are conflicts they are minor - primarily renamed variables but no major functional code changes.
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

Thanks, thats a fair enough answer :)
Korell

Post by Korell »

Gez wrote:Yeah, it can autodetect games installed from GOG or Steam.
Can this autodetection be suppressed with an option in the ini file or something? Only it picks up duplicates making it messy. Also, I still had to add my Steam folder locations for Shadow Warrior + expansions.
markanini

Post by markanini »

Korell wrote:
Can this autodetection be suppressed with an option in the ini file or something? Only it picks up duplicates making it messy. Also, I still had to add my Steam folder locations for Shadow Warrior + expansions.
Just add a # before Path=$STEAM
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sinisterseed »

Or delete the $STEAM altogether from the Path.

The SW expansions should be added soon.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

I am very VERY thankful for this port, I can finally play Blood without feeling like I'm playing some goopy aiming game that makes me lose my shooting talent with Doom.
(I was recently playing with NBlood for 2 weeks and due to the odd manner that Blood's controls and graphics work I really had a hard time adjusting to them and literally
made myself forget how I played Doom for 15 years just to get used to them)

with this now I'm finally able to use my experience from Doom with this game.

I have one question tho, would mods like Deathwish, French Meat etc work with Raze currently?

they are made to work with NBlood specially so would they work with this as well?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Since the base here is NBlood, if they don't there would be a bug.

But what's so weird about the controls? Aside from using a native Windows backend instead of SDL, they are mostly unchanged in Raze.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”