!!ATTENTION!! - Please Secure Your Passwords!

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

!!ATTENTION!! - Please Secure Your Passwords!

Post by wildweasel »

You might have noticed, while logging into the forums, a message to the effect of "Too many login attempts," and asked to solve the forum's CAPTCHA question. If you've seen this message, your account is one of the apparent many that was involved in a recent attempt to brute-force passwords to the ZDoom Forums. Your account may or may not have been accessed, and a handful of old, abandoned accounts have been used...pretty much just to post stupid crap. If you have never seen this message, then you should assume that your password has been compromised and it is only a matter of time before your account is hijacked for shit posting.

Whether you've had this happen to you or not, it is highly recommended to change your passwords and secure them. I recommend a very long one, going by this guide, and testing your password's strength against known cracking algorithms with this tester. If any other accounts use the same password as your ZDoom Forums account, please change those as well, preferably to something different.

Further information can be found in these threads:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51994
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52158

If you are a returning user and find that you have been warned or banned for something you did not do - OR if you are getting a message that your account has been "deactivated" - you may email me about it at wild PERIOD weasel ATSIGN gmail PERIOD com (you should know what to replace those all-caps words with, I hope).
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: !!ATTENTION!! - Please Secure Your Passwords!

Post by Graf Zahl »

wildweasel wrote:and testing your password's strength against known cracking algorithms with this tester.
That's not particularly good, ranking 'Password' higher than 'grmblfxgrrr' (Disclaimer: I do not use either as a password! :mrgreen:
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Graf Zahl wrote:
wildweasel wrote:and testing your password's strength against known cracking algorithms with this tester.
That's not particularly good, ranking 'Password' higher than 'grmblfxgrrr' (Disclaimer: I do not use either as a password! :mrgreen:
Any suggestions for better ones would be welcomed. I wouldn't want to lead our user base astray.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Ah, this explains a lot. I was hoping it wasn't just to attack/spam EDGE -- has it happened in other unrelated threads?
Big C

Post by Big C »

Yes, yes it has. The Hideous Destructor club has been dealing with it for longer than we'd like at this point.
IdiotBitz
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by IdiotBitz »

Good thing I saw this, I don't log into my account much, so I could've lost this account without me even knowing.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

Apparently my password was changed. Not sure if that's my own fuck-up or related, but I had to reset my password to change it again. :P
If it's possible for a moderator to check this, could they? I would appreciate the peace of mind.
BouncyTEM
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

Yeah, I just changed mine, to be on the safe side.

Yikes, though.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Marrub wrote:Apparently my password was changed. Not sure if that's my own fuck-up or related, but I had to reset my password to change it again. :P
If it's possible for a moderator to check this, could they? I would appreciate the peace of mind.
Looks like the only entries about password changes in your User Notes all came from your own IP, so you're good.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

hmm, I'm suddenly extra glad that despite its age, phpbb3 still has sane password standards and accepts 30 char passwords with most of the options enabled in Keepass's password generator. I'd recommend keepass if anyone's looking for password vaults
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

Oh, good, so I am just a dumbass. :D
It greatly amuses me that someone was motivated enough to do a mass brute force (presumably with a generic phpbb skiddie brute forcer, or maybe they actually took the time and effort to make such a program) just to shitpost with the subject of Brutal Doom. Seriously.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Marrub wrote:Oh, good, so I am just a dumbass. :D
It greatly amuses me that someone was motivated enough to do a mass brute force (presumably with a generic phpbb skiddie brute forcer, or maybe they actually took the time and effort to make such a program) just to shitpost with the subject of Brutal Doom. Seriously.
Honestly this is about the level of behavior I expect from Sarge's little fan club (as opposed to the part of the Brutal DooM fanbase that actually remembers how to play nice, like johnny), so it scarcely surprises me at all.

At any rate, glad this is getting taken care of one way or another. I just hope the trolling/hacking peters out sooner rather than later.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It's probably some ban-evader that already got flushed and is not wasting some other accounts to do his shit. I guess when looking through the recent bans it may even be possible to take a good guess who it is.

No idea how much scripting skill is needed to brute-force this stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised if he just got the list of user names and now goes through it with a list of common passwords, Chances are high that some fools are still using 'password' and other insecure words.
Soul Sucka

Post by Soul Sucka »

Thanks for heads-up. Just changed my password.
enderkevin13

Post by enderkevin13 »

Wait, what have the trolls been doing lately? Posting nudity? Spam threads?

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”