Alien Breed 3D - The Killing Grounds (WIP)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Marty2Life

Alien Breed 3D - The Killing Grounds (WIP)

Post by Marty2Life »

Hello @ll

I'm new in the Doom Modding Scene. (German User) This are my first steps with the doombuilder. First: I've played in the 90's any 3D FPS Amiga Games. Alien Breed 3D 1+2, Fears, NemcIV, Genetic Species etc..

I have Successfully create a backup from my HD on Real Amiga 4000/PPC to work under Winuae. I've found the Orignal Source Code to Aline Breed 3D 1 and 2. At the same time i played handful Doom Games under zDooom and gzDoom and tried other Ports. I look the other mods and the Potential of zdoom/gzdoom

I thought... i have the the Original Source Code. Also the GFX,SFX,OST,Mission Text and all the Devpac Assembler files.

This is my first Work in progress. Alien Breed 3D - The Killing Gounds i try to create all the same features the comes from AB3D Engine how Multiples Floor, Transparent Waters port to gzDoom. Original textures, Level Design, Enemys etc.. If is the finished and the HD version too. You can create AB3D Levels self :D

Software i used:
On PC: Adobe PS CS2, Audition 3.0, Slab6, DoomFontGen and other Font tool to Convert Amiga Fonts to PC Font, Editors, Directory Opus 10, gzDoomBuilder, Blender etc..

On Amiga: Personal Paint (to convert the Anim States and other things), Audiomaster for few IFF SFX to WAV they don't understand Audtion . Directory Opus 4.xx

Most of the
Things i have done:
- All the Fonts stuff
- Hud (Can be used for default doom games too). the hud comes with 2 variant for Display Size 10 + 11. First is the vairnt from AB3D 1 games second comes from Ab3D2 Game. I had to reArranged the hus to 16:9 stuff
- Game OST and Ambient Sound (Convertet From Protracker/Octmed)
- All the Textures.

Partial
- HD Textures (This is for a Extended Version from Killing Ground) (will be Optional!)
- Sprites. Not All Convertet but not builded. Important: All the original Sprites from Alien Breed 3D 1 and 2 does'nt have the P2,P8,P4,P6 angle states. If any will, can be make these Sprites I build the Sprites Lump without the angle states.
- SFX Convertet
- Mission texts. It comes in a English and German version (Only Mission Text)
- Missing a few Features how footeps etc...

Not Yet:
Weapons

Limitation: Is really builded for a 16:9/16:10 Resolution

Changes:
- The Most steps in the World are to 'big'. i adjust them.
- The FPS Guy on AB3D 1 is ~32Pixels wide. Our Doomguy is too wide and pass not through the door with 32pixels.I must recalculate the Map (most Rooms and doors) size to Doom Size.

Here are the Videos. First Video show the Plain Level under Amiga the second video show my work in Progress with the first Level
https://vimeo.com/142956149, https://vimeo.com/142948227

Preview Screens
Spoiler:
Map screen (Remember, Alien Breed 3D 1 doesn't have a Automap). I Create the Maps at the same Time to play the AB3D on Winuae on Second Screen
Spoiler:
Here are my Works and the Original Textures, Sprites from Team17's Source Code
Spoiler:
i would like thanks to all the other Modder and Creators in the Doom Scene and Team 17 and John Girvin for the qbreed Archive

...And yes i'm the coder from the LH.idTech1(Start,i).
Last edited by Marty2Life on Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
doony

Re: Alien Breed 3D - The Killing Grounds (WIP)

Post by doony »

I loved, the ambient is creepy and the hud looks amazing, really fits the game
I'm already waiting the demo :)
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Impressive work man :D

I will keep an eye on your mod, keep it up :)
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Now this is something interesting and refreshing to see. Nice work so far.
Valken

Post by Valken »

Awesome. Great old school game and doom version would be better! Would be fantastic to play with the Ultimate Aliens Mod.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Looks like a pretty faithful port so far! Kudos for going the hard yards with all those esoteric old Amiga file formats!

This might be the grognard in me talking, but as good a job you're doing with the HD textures, I kind of hope they're an optional extra. HD textures never looked that great in sector-based engines to me...
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Loved the Alien Breed games back in the day - those hi-res textures are incredible, but yeah, it would be nice to have a full "oldskool" mode.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

I distinctly remember Alien Breed 3D and its sequel were terrible and frustrating games that gave me headaches when I played them. I hope you will at least do the concept justice.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

SamVision wrote:I distinctly remember Alien Breed 3D and its sequel were terrible and frustrating games that gave me headaches when I played them. I hope you will at least do the concept justice.
Alien Breed 3D ran at a whopping 96x78 screen resolution(!!) and Alien Breed 3D 2 required Crysis-levels of expensive bolt-on hardware because the Amiga, for various reasons relating to the custom hardware that gave it its unique character and prowess in 2D sprite-based games, sucked shit at the type of 3D games that this forum regularly deals in. :( I suspect that even just upping the resolution to the DOS Doom standard of 320x200 will make the game feel quite a bit more enjoyable.
Marty2Life

Post by Marty2Life »

Kinsie wrote:Looks like a pretty faithful port so far! Kudos for going the hard yards with all those esoteric old Amiga file formats!

This might be the grognard in me talking, but as good a job you're doing with the HD textures, I kind of hope they're an optional extra. HD textures never looked that great in sector-based engines to me...
scalliano wrote:Loved the Alien Breed games back in the day - those hi-res textures are incredible, but yeah, it would be nice to have a full "oldskool" mode.
Yes, Hires Texture will be Optional. The First Version is marked as "oldskool". Original Textures and Flats, Orginal Levels and Original Enemys at the same Position.

Thanks for the friendly comments. :) First post updated with Wip Screens > Level 5
Last edited by Marty2Life on Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marty2Life

Post by Marty2Life »

doony wrote:I loved, the ambient is creepy and the hud looks amazing, really fits the game

Demo is on the way :)
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Marty2Life wrote:
doony wrote:I loved, the ambient is creepy and the hud looks amazing, really fits the game

Demo is on the way :)
As an old Amiga player I am really looking forward to this TC. Could you ever imagined if games like Ambermoon, Breathless and Gloom had their GZDoom TC? :cool:
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Marty2Life wrote:Yes, Hires Texture will be Optional. The First Version is marked as "oldskool". Original Textures and Flats, Orginal Levels and Original Enemys at the same Position.

Thanks for the friendly comments. :) First post updated with Wip Screens > Level 5
Looks awesome! It's incredible what a difference not being limited to a postage stamp resolution makes...
Ozymandias81 wrote:As an old Amiga player I am really looking forward to this TC. Could you ever imagined if games like Ambermoon, Breathless and Gloom had their GZDoom TC? :cool:
I ripped most of the assets from Gloom Deluxe a while back. I'm sure someone with more Amiga experience could do a better job and also man the level editor to an extent where they could copy the maps down into GZDoom Builder.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

I know i already commented on this one but after viewing the videos i have to say this ...

Incredible work recreating the levels with that much details. I like the HUD, it feels less clostrophobyc than the original while not being in the way. You are putting lots of efforts in this mod and it's already showing in the videos. I'm sure this mod will be a hit :D

Keep it up :)
Expect No Mercy

Post by Expect No Mercy »

Will be one of my favorit mods when finished! Excellent work! 8-)

@Marty2Life:
Spoiler:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”