(RLME)-Roguelike Monster Expansion 1.7 (WiP revision)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ranik

(RLME)-Roguelike Monster Expansion 1.7 (WiP revision)

Post by Ranik »

Hello everyone. For a month or so now I've been working on a personal project to expand DRLA's already awesome monster selection. The current WiP version that I have is a monster mod that can add to DRLA's monster beta 6. (Some of the new gore effects and revive effects are not entriely done for all of the monsters)

RLME focuses less on higher difficulty tiers of monster IE: Nightmare/Cybernetic/Armageddon and more about variety of monster behavior and threats. Pretty much all of the material is taken from R667 then tweaked to have new behavior/effects and to be DRLA compatible (as well as DRLA+DRPG compatible). All due credit belongs to the people who originally created the monsters from R667 (Credits have been included within the Wad. Please tell me if I forgot anything) and to Yholl / Kyle873 for their respective mods.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Current Version Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcxj3r90zx2ui ... 0.wad?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjv35u90mcs32 ... 5.wad?dl=0

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Instructions:
If you are using only DoomRL Arsenal. Load RLME.wad alongside DoomRL Arsenal 1.05 + DoomRL Monsters Beta 6.2. RLME.wad should be later in a priority list than DRLA and monsters beta.

If you want to use DRPG as well, add RLMERPG.Wad through the custom commands in DRPG Launcher. Example: -file "C:\wherever\wherever\RLMERPG.wad"

Extra monster do not spawn on easy difficulty, or the top tier difficulties as RLME is intended for normal - hard variety and aren't as tough as Nightmare/Cybernetic/Armageddon enemies.

Please provide any feedback, comments, bug reports as I'm all ears.
Last edited by Ranik on Thu May 26, 2016 7:53 am, edited 16 times in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: (RLME)-Roguelike Monster Expansion

Post by wildweasel »

*Weasel's Stamp of Approval image here*
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

wildweasel wrote:Image
Done :D
Ranik

Post by Ranik »

Ok, small update with better DRPG compatibility. Ran into Map 07 issues with the Arachnotron variants and many kudo's to Kate for helping me out with it.
Ranik

Re: (RLME)-Roguelike Monster Expansion 1.6 (Now with More Ra

Post by Ranik »

Ok, Alpha 1.6 is out now with two new variants. One is the Berserker Demon and other is the Berserker Knight. They both basically get increasingly pissed and aggressive over time or when hurt.

These in particular are very quirky since they can set themselves off as well as be raged by the player. So any feedback about the rate / likelihood they get angry would be great.
SAraisXenoQueen

Post by SAraisXenoQueen »

Huh. Would be good for more custom monsters that work well, Might be better with more fresh monsters than those from 667. We've seen them quite a lot before.

Yholl & Co's new monsters are generally all unique or intresting in their function, whilst still following the synergies that Doom's monsters had, like how the cacobyss has a secondary orbiting ressurect method, or the hellstorm elemental has an attack that pulls you in.
Ranik

Post by Ranik »

SAraisXenoQueen wrote:Huh. Would be good for more custom monsters that work well, Might be better with more fresh monsters than those from 667. We've seen them quite a lot before.

Yholl & Co's new monsters are generally all unique or intresting in their function, whilst still following the synergies that Doom's monsters had, like how the cacobyss has a secondary orbiting ressurect method, or the hellstorm elemental has an attack that pulls you in.
Hehe show me some new monsters that are freely available and I'll happily use them. Otherwise I have to use what's readily available and tweaking the ever living crap out of them. The purpose of RLME isn't so much synergy as it is new threat variety. Imps which can throw AoE poison attacks. Knights which can defend themselves while attacking, Demons which have a chance to go into a rage and start lunging etc etc.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Have you considered doing some frankenspriting? Or editing existing sprites? Seems like a lot of the DRLA monsters are just that.
Ranik

Post by Ranik »

Silentdarkness12 wrote:Have you considered doing some frankenspriting? Or editing existing sprites? Seems like a lot of the DRLA monsters are just that.
At the moment no. I've been doing this project in spare time while getting ready to move to a new job in a few weeks. Currently I basically look for decent sprites, then think of a good role for them followed by a lot of tweaking to make them fulfill that role. Just because the R667 stuff has been around for a while doesn't mean they at all play out the same after quite a bit of behavior tweaking. :mrgreen:

Heck, if anything I'd rather have a monster act differently than simply look different.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

*paging Yholl to the thread*
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Hellstorm Archon wrote:*paging Yholl to the thread*
Yes?
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Yholl wrote:
Yes?
Quickly, what is the power level of this sub-mod?
Ranik

Post by Ranik »

Hellstorm Archon wrote:
Yholl wrote:
Yes?
Quickly, what is the power level of this sub-mod?
Yholl was ok with me making a DRLA sub mod and helped a few times with code issues but I'm not sure he's actually played it lol.
Ranik

Re: (RLME)-Roguelike Monster Expansion 1.65 (WiP revision)

Post by Ranik »

Bumparino for 1.65 WiP version. Some of the new changes might be a little aggravating or at least it can feel that way in my playtesting.
Redead-ITA

Re: (RLME)-Roguelike Monster Expansion 1.65 (WiP revision)

Post by Redead-ITA »

*Alan please add a WOW immage right----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->here)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”