RELEASE: Wolfenstein 3D TC Version 3.1

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AFADoomer

Re: RELEASE: Wolfenstein 3D TC Version 3.0

Post by AFADoomer »

It's supposed to be scaled to fullscreen size... Similar to the original game.

Try setting the st_scale CVar to 1. I think it's set to default to -1, so that may be causing the problem.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

I'm not sure what it was on, but I set it to 4 and it looks fine now.

By the by, how do you get PWADs to run with this IWAD? I tried it the normal way but it just goes to the Wolf3D game selection as normal.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Wiw wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:41 pm I'm not sure what it was on, but I set it to 4 and it looks fine now.

By the by, how do you get PWADs to run with this IWAD? I tried it the normal way but it just goes to the Wolf3D game selection as normal.
For PWADs with maps, you'll probably have to warp to the maps with the 'map' console command... Unless you create a PWAD specifically for this mod, in most cases you'll need to load a Doom IWAD for the resources, then load this IWAD on top, then the PWAD.

For gameplay/effect mods (e.g., NashGore), they should automatically work when loaded after the IWAD.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

Oh, so it's mod compatible? That's good to know.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by armymen12002003 »

Not sure if you are aware of this but for some reason playing on I am death incarnate some of the enemies get stuck, Also how's come whenever I boot my game up and load a previous save on a new level my weapons get taken and i star out with the knife and pistol?
Void Warrior

Post by Void Warrior »

AFADoomer, welcome again!

I forgot to ask something about one Bug that I often encountered during the passage. The thing is, if I save at the beginning of the Level and load the save, then all the weapons disappear. When loading after death through the Menu, there is a similar problem. Is this normal? :|
LordKane1701
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by LordKane1701 »

Void Warrior wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:31 am AFADoomer, welcome again!

I forgot to ask something about one Bug that I often encountered during the passage. The thing is, if I save at the beginning of the Level and load the save, then all the weapons disappear. When loading after death through the Menu, there is a similar problem. Is this normal? :|
armymen12002003 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:53 am Not sure if you are aware of this but for some reason playing on I am death incarnate some of the enemies get stuck, Also how's come whenever I boot my game up and load a previous save on a new level my weapons get taken and i star out with the knife and pistol?
I have been experiencing a similar issue I think it might be related to autosaves and lives, so for now turn autosaves off and avoid saving right at the start of a level if you can help it until AFADoomer can fix it.
CacoTwoShoes

Post by CacoTwoShoes »

When I turn on dynamic lights, the game starts lagging horribly on E4L2 yet maintains 90+ FPS on E6L3 as well as on pretty much any other lights-heavy map. Turning off "Lights affect sprites" and "Lights affect particles" changes nothing. Is E4L2 somehow special in terms of sector partitioning and how many lights affect a single surface?

GZDoom used to have a related bug that may or may not have been addressed in the latest builds:
So the issue with the demo isn't strictly the dynamic lights, it's the sprites interacting with the dynamic lights. If you turn off "lights affect sprites" in the light options you'll see a 50-70% fps bump. Now the really weird thing about this is that sprites that aren't on screen (or even in the same area) are affecting performance in this way. I've even consulted the gzdoom devs and their as baffled as we are about the cause of this. Things not rendered on screen should not have this impact on performance.
CacoTwoShoes

Post by CacoTwoShoes »

All bosses seem to have a 100% pain chance instead of 0% (GZDoom 4.10)

I've just summoned and knifed to death Hitler, Hans, Trans, Death Knight...
Nash

Post by Nash »

Hey AFADoomer. It's been years since I've played this mod. Very very very impressive. Here are some of the issues I've encountered though.

- Door sounds when the player uses them (open and close) don't seem to be directional. Seems like it's played in UI context? They're always centered, so it's very confusing (ESPECIALLY when a door I previously opened now closes - I hear the sound dead center in the stereo field). This isn't true when the enemies open the doors though - in the latter case, the door sounds seem to be correctly originating from the world. Sent a pull request

- Enemy firing sounds also seem to be non-directional, too. This has a more significant gameplay impact (detrimentally) because I now simply cannot rely on audio cues to quickly pinpoint where an enemy attack is coming from. Enemy sight and death sounds, however, ARE world origin'd. Sent a pull request

- Pressing F1 to open the DOS prompt, and then going back into the game (via pressing Escape) stops the level music indefinitely. I'd have to go into the main menu, then close the menu, for the level music to resume.

- The "allow mouse freelook" option doesn't disable forward/backwards mouse movement. In the end, it was better for me to just leave the option enabled, but go into the console and type sv_nofreelook 1.

- Related to the above - if you had mouselook enabled previously, then have the player point up or down, and THEN disable the mouselook option, the player's pitch gets permanently stuck not looking straight. I'd have to open the console and type "centerview" to fix the player's pitch.

- The "use Doom style bobbing" setting is way too exaggerated.

- Also related, but there appears to be a very tiny amount of view bobbing (despite without the Doom bobbing). Can be clearly seen (or felt) if there is some obstruction blocking the player's movement and the player continues to have the movement keys held down. I recall Wolf3D having literally zero view bobbing.

- Sometimes doors can get stuck like this. I'm not sure how to replicate it 100%.

- Minor nitpick: the outdoor textures are affected by SSAO. Understandable, since they're just wall textures, but I wonder if it would be too much trouble for you to make them render as actual Doom skies (optional)?

Otherwise, everything is so source-accurate (or very darn close), this might as well be a Wolf3D source port LOL. It's so good. Keep up the great work.

Oh yeah, one last thing - how's multiplayer support in this? I plan to try some coop eventually. I did notice that colorization/translation doesn't work on BJ's uniform. What about player starts? I haven't been able to check these in a map editor yet.
Last edited by Nash on Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Stealth edit:

I have identified what's causing multiplayer desyncs and sent a PR to fix it. Also sent a PR to eliminate movement rubberbanding during netplay.
Spoiler: original post
UnknownMudkip

Post by UnknownMudkip »

Seems you can't save high scores? Don't know if that was a bug or it's the difficulty i was playing on
invictius

Post by invictius »

What's the latest gz this will work on? I'm using 4.8.2 because the resize console text bug hasn't been solved yet. The error I get with this version is:

Code: Select all

Script error, "Wolf3D.ipk3:animdefs.txt" line 24:
Bad syntax.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I noticed you can't save your game in 4.9, as the save fails to serialize a CVAR, but works fine in 4.10. Since saving the game is not possible in 4.9, I suppose it is also not possible in earlier versions. Meaning that even if you edit animdefs to get rid of the troublesome part for 4.8.2, you'll probably get other stumbling blocks afterwards, and then others, and yet more others, until you bite the bullet and update to 4.10.
RubyEyeShabranigdu
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by RubyEyeShabranigdu »

Doesn't work correctly with GZDoom 4.11 (Windows 10 x64)

Works fine with GZDoom 4.10

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”