ZDoom 2.7.1

News about ZDoom

ZDoom 2.7.1

Postby randi » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:52 pm

ZDoom 2.7.1 is now available from the download page. This version includes the following changes from 2.7.0:
  • Added new additive GameInfo keywords: AddCreditPage, AddPlayerClasses, and AddInfoPage.
  • Added a new DONTDRAIN flag to mark actors as ineligible for vampirism attacks.
  • Compatibility fixes for Ultimate Simplicity map07, Cheogsh map01, Super Sonic Doom map31
  • Polyobject mirror numbers can no longer be changed with SetLineSpecial. This was never a supported feature and caused problems for legitimate uses of SetLineSpecial on polyobject lines.
  • The powered-up Gold Wand was not puffing on actors.
  • Disabled Heretic's punishment cheats when in allcheats mode.
  • Objects that explode on death no longer deal the damage they were dealt instead of their own.
  • Vampirism attacks now respect damage reduction.
  • Demo recording now writes correct user info to demos.
  • ACS's PlaySound for looping sounds now works properly when using channel flags.
User avatar
randi
Site Admin
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2003

Re: ZDoom 2.7.1

Postby Blue Shadow » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:51 pm

A new release already! Are we expecting frequent releases from now on?
User avatar
Blue Shadow
 
Joined: 14 Nov 2010

Re: ZDoom 2.7.1

Postby randi » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:12 pm

I would like to do more frequent bug fix releases now. That's what the maint branch is for. I would have liked to do it for Subversion, too, but branches are kind of a pain to work with in Subversion compared to Git.

Feature releases may or may not be more frequent.
User avatar
randi
Site Admin
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2003

Re: ZDoom 2.7.1

Postby Nash » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:13 am

Out of curiosity, what does "maint" mean? Is it the equivilent of SVN's "trunk"? Is "maint" a standardized name?
User avatar
Nash
 
Joined: 27 Oct 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: ZDoom 2.7.1

Postby Blzut3 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:23 am

"master" is equivalent to trunk. maint is short for maintenance, it's a branch that contains primarily bug fixes.

Or another way of putting it:
maint = ZDoom 2.7.x
master = ZDoom 2.8.0
Blzut3
Pronounced: B-l-zut
 
Joined: 24 Nov 2004

Re: ZDoom 2.7.1

Postby Xtyfe » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:40 am

randi wrote:I would like to do more frequent bug fix releases now. That's what the maint branch is for. I would have liked to do it for Subversion, too, but branches are kind of a pain to work with in Subversion compared to Git.

Feature releases may or may not be more frequent.


More frequent releases in general is an awesome development :p
User avatar
Xtyfe
Neque Deos, Neque Dominos
 
Joined: 14 Dec 2007
Location: The Intertubes

Re: ZDoom 2.7.1

Postby Major Cooke » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:14 am

Randi, isn't it time for a 2.8 news post?
User avatar
Major Cooke
Pushing one+ buttons, receiving FATAL ERROR UNHANDLED EXC-PLOSION!
 
Joined: 28 Jan 2007

Re: ZDoom 2.7.1

Postby Eruanna » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:29 pm

The release for 2.8 is already done - at least as far as the Windows version and the source code goes.

However, I am pretty sure she's going through the painstaking trouble of collecting all the git changes to actually make for the news post. (I've worked with projects like that before, while I never did anything on the magnitude of ZDoom, even what I've done requires a bit of work when you've got hundreds to thousands of commits to sort through - it can take hours, sometimes even days, to make a proper news post)

She may or may not be waiting until she has a Mac OS release ready, to make that post, too.

So the short answer, my guess would be, is - She's working on it, and it will be ready when it's ready™.
User avatar
Eruanna
 
Joined: 13 Jan 2004

Re: ZDoom 2.7.1

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:34 pm

In that case: Make an announcement - collect the data - update the announcement.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Germany

Re: ZDoom 2.7.1

Postby Gez » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:41 pm

" If you do not have a copy of Doom, Heretic, or Hexen, the easiest way to obtain them is to purchase them from Steam. When you download them from Steam, ZDoom will automatically find them."

This should be updated. First, ZDoom can find them from GOG too, and secondly one of the links (it was to "Doom Pack Complete") is dead.

It may be better to link to the Doom Wiki pages for Steam and GOG.
Gez
 
Joined: 06 Jul 2007

Re: ZDoom 2.7.1

Postby Xtyfe » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:16 pm

Xtyfe wrote:
randi wrote:I would like to do more frequent bug fix releases now. That's what the maint branch is for. I would have liked to do it for Subversion, too, but branches are kind of a pain to work with in Subversion compared to Git.

Feature releases may or may not be more frequent.


More frequent releases in general is an awesome development :p


I must admit I now laugh at my myself from 2.5 years ago saying this.

Gez wrote:" If you do not have a copy of Doom, Heretic, or Hexen, the easiest way to obtain them is to purchase them from Steam. When you download them from Steam, ZDoom will automatically find them."

This should be updated. First, ZDoom can find them from GOG too, and secondly one of the links (it was to "Doom Pack Complete") is dead.

It may be better to link to the Doom Wiki pages for Steam and GOG.


http://store.steampowered.com/sub/18397/ is the new place to find classic complete.
User avatar
Xtyfe
Neque Deos, Neque Dominos
 
Joined: 14 Dec 2007
Location: The Intertubes

Re: ZDoom 2.7.1

Postby Gez » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:41 pm

I know, that link is available on the wiki page, which is kind of the point of linking to it.
Gez
 
Joined: 06 Jul 2007

Re: ZDoom 2.7.1

Postby Major Cooke » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:37 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:In that case: Make an announcement - collect the data - update the announcement.


Agreed. This is usually what I do for developing some of my projects because people are just impatient for the betas I release. :roll:
User avatar
Major Cooke
Pushing one+ buttons, receiving FATAL ERROR UNHANDLED EXC-PLOSION!
 
Joined: 28 Jan 2007

Re: ZDoom 2.7.1

Postby Eruanna » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:43 pm

If I were in her shoes reading this, I would be wishing I could go back in time so I could delay on uploading 2.8.0 until everything together was all ready - even if it took a few days.

That's not even considering the fact that this is a hobby, no one is earning a wage doing this. She might be tied up with work or family or life or something.

It really is exciting that ZDoom 2.8 is coming out, and I know the feelings you guys are getting, because I am getting them too. But a little patience never hurts. ;) I'm pretty sure it will all be there in due time. <3
User avatar
Eruanna
 
Joined: 13 Jan 2004

Re: ZDoom 2.7.1

Postby Major Cooke » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:00 pm

Two and a half YEARS... I think I need not say more on how patient we've been. ESPECIALLY considering this marks a new era where post 2.8 sees introductions to the scripting branch!
User avatar
Major Cooke
Pushing one+ buttons, receiving FATAL ERROR UNHANDLED EXC-PLOSION!
 
Joined: 28 Jan 2007

Next

Return to ZDoom News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest