ZDoom is too smooth!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
iamthejake2000

ZDoom is too smooth!

Post by iamthejake2000 »

ZDoom seems too smooth. Is there a way I can make it more like the original Doom? Thanks.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Drop down the console by pressing ~, then type this into the console and press enter:

Code: Select all

cl_capfps 1
Curunir
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Curunir »

That's so nerdy, it's scaring me.
I mean, I adored Randy for busting the 35 tics limit. But everyone has the right to experience his Doom the way he likes it.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Warning! After experiencing the silky smoothness of ZDoom's uncapped FPS, it WILL feel like a slideshow playing at 35 FPS again. No, it is not a bug.
GeeDougg
Location: VanCity, British Colonies, Isolated Republic Of Canuckistan

Post by GeeDougg »

Or you could just play in Legacy and get a ~30-35FPS cap anyway. *shudder*
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

If I could play Legacy at 35 fps. I can feel lucky if I can get a constant 30! (and that on a P4 3.2 GHz...) That engine is so horrendously bad it's unbelievable...
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

I want to play doom with a film framerate....
GeeDougg

Post by GeeDougg »

Graf Zahl wrote:If I could play Legacy at 35 fps. I can feel lucky if I can get a constant 30! (and that on a P4 3.2 GHz...) That engine is so horrendously bad it's unbelievable...
I don't think it's processor related. The cap would still be the same even with a Pentium 2. I have an Athlon XP 1800+ (~1533MHz) right now that I'm using to type this and on this computer Legacy gets 32FPS on average if I'm lucky, but the frame-rate is very inconsistent and choppy, and if the max. is 35FPS the min. jumps occasionally to 2FPS and basically rises and drops as it feels. (Of course Athlons still do a better job with the same clock rate but with a port like Legacy it doesn't even matter. )
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, that's the problem. However, on my system it should run at a constant 35 fps but it doesn't.
GeeDougg

Post by GeeDougg »

Why should it run at a constant 35FS on your system? I don't think it really does that on ANYONE'S system. Legacy is just meant to do that and piss you off. I think they're probably doing that to piss us off so that by the time the uncapped-frame-rate version rolls out we'll be so happy with the constant high frame-rate that we'll then actually think of Legacy as a really good port.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I just think they can't do better...
GeeDougg

Post by GeeDougg »

Well you're probably right about that because they can't seem to be able to do better, for now. But after the C++ rewrite it should be better (at least everyone hopes so).
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Erm, if the Legacy team are too shit to optimize the engine then how the Hell did they get 3D floors working.
(Though on second thoughts, they probablly ripped the DOSDOOM/EDGE code.)
GeeDougg

Post by GeeDougg »

Whether or not they ripped someone else's code doesn't really matter because Legacy might have 3D floor support but the overall performance in gameplay is an on/off slide-show at best (according to most people, including your's truly).
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

I know that the current build of Legacy has more bugs than a CIA conference. ANd runs as smoothy as an invasion by GW Bush. Still doesn't stop me wondering though.

Return to “General”