[Project] "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

I really wish people would stopped this"fook" business. If you can't make intelligent conversation without resorting to (pseudo-) expletives, your conversation probably isn't quite as intelligent as you seem to think...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

NiGHTMARE wrote:I really wish people would stopped this"fook" business.
If you do mean "fook" as opposed to "fuck" then it's not the people posting. The forum software started censoring that word (but no other to my knowledge) a few weeks ago. :shrug:

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Thanks for posting a way that does not filter our beloved fuck! :mrgreen:
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

I know the forum software does it, it's just I'd have thought people using the fcuk anagram would have noticed by now, and start using some other word(s) instead. In this instance, "curse that" would have been appropriate.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I say again that which I stated not one year prior: if you have to swear, then you need to exercise the rest of your obviously colorful vocabulary. I know most of you feel that your point just doesn't come across well enough without that added bit of salt, but seeing the F-word everywhere is becoming annoying to me and makes me doubt the overall intelligence of the person uttering it.
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

I accept WildWeasel's point of view and respect it. However, one must realise that these colourful four letter words are a part of the english language and do serve a purpose. Although, there are many instances where these words are being abused, and thats when the intelegence of the person using said words is in question.
GeeDougg
Location: VanCity, British Colonies, Isolated Republic Of Canuckistan

Post by GeeDougg »

About the legality issue:
Consider this.... You could just release it anyway. There are many other levels already on the archives with all kinds'a modifications of "original" content on them. If KDIZD is illegal because of that then a very large portion of the WADs that are already in the archives are illegal as well. Besides, the people who made THOSE modifications never asked iD whether they were legal. I'm sure iD would find lots of other modifications illegal, HAD THEY PLAYED THEM!!!! I mean come on; do you seriously think iD has played or looked at the data in every single WAD ever released? Nope. No one at iD is ever gonna bother. Hell, the worst that could happen would be iD suing Daniel Gimmer for staring the project, which, believe me, is NOT gonna happen! Hell, even if they attempted something so ludicrous, there are thousands of arguments that could be brought in defence. Heck if someone gets sued and all defence arguments fail we could still plead insanity! There's NOTHING to worry about. Besides, with the plan to remove the potentially "illegal" portions of KDIZD and make it legal, there's virtually nothing anyone can object to anyway.

As for the SSG issue: It's quite simple. Just keep the Doom 1 shotgun and add a slightly modified SSG on top of that. Duh!
Nightmare Doom

Post by Nightmare Doom »

geedougg wrote:As for the SSG issue: It's quite simple. Just keep the Doom 1 shotgun and add a slightly modified SSG on top of that. Duh! [/color]
Like connecting the barrels correctly (the original one is croquet)

or just keep it the way it is
Risen

Post by Risen »

For those who stuck with me on this - Thank you.

For those who opposed yet still contributed to a useful intellectual discussion - Thank you.

For the rest of you, consider that I have raised an important issue here and the implications for the entire Doom community.
Todd Hollenshead wrote:> 1) Are maps really the only new content that can legally be featured in an add-on for Doom 1, Doom 2 and Final Doom? Preventing users from including their own work in an add-on seems rather strange, but this is what the license appears to imply.

You may add your own content.

> 2) If including new resources such as textures and sprites is permissible, does this mean that modifying existing Doom resources is acceptable as well? Please note that our intention is not to convert such resources to another game, simply to create extended "texture families" for a single game.

You may modify the textures so long as the modification only works with the game it modifies and requires the use of the original game to operate.

> 3) We are aware that Id does not allow modders to include content (either modified or original) from one game in another, e.g. Quake 1 textures in Doom 3. However, since they share so many resources already, does this include using Doom 1 resources in Doom 2, or vice versa?

This may not have been strictly enforced over the years, but DOOM content should not be made available for DOOM II, etc. To the extent that the resources are identical, then it would appear the question of using one for the other would be moot anyway. At some point, enforcement becomes a practical issue. It's self-defeating to try and chase every minor and innocent infraction of the rules. However, pursing violations and expressly permitting them are a different matter.

tsh
Team: We have everything we need to proceed! Let's finish this thing.
Dittohead

Post by Dittohead »

Congrats. Glad you guys could pull this through. I'm curious to see this guy in action.
GeeDougg
Location: VanCity, British Colonies, Isolated Republic Of Canuckistan

Post by GeeDougg »

Nightmare Doom wrote:
geedougg wrote:As for the SSG issue: It's quite simple. Just keep the Doom 1 shotgun and add a slightly modified SSG on top of that. Duh!
Like connecting the barrels correctly (the original one is croquet)

or just keep it the way it is
I'm afraid you misunderstodd. I didn't mean "above" as in "vertically higher in position", I meant above as in "the slot above the normal shotgun slot. In Doom 2 there is a 2nd weapon slot when you press 3 which allows you to access the SSG (and same when you press 1 again to access the fists in some Doom 1 versions). There are ZDooM modifications, however, that allow - albeit with trickey, I think - for a 2nd weapon slot where a single weapon is, so that you can for example access a flame thrower by pressing the plasma rifle key again (6). And maybe even a third is some cases.... So, for example, if you press 6, you get the plasma rifle. Press it again and you get a flame thrower. Press it one more time and you get a laser weapon.... And so on.... This could be used to add a seperate weapon slot, and, essentially force Doom 1 to have both the shotgun and the SSG in seperate weapon slots, both accessble by the "3" key (or whatever) by default.

Risen: So is Todd basically subliminally giving you guys the green light? [/color]
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

@Geedougg - I'm almost posotive it can be done (the second slots for each weapon slot) because if I am not mistaken, this was done in the 99weaps mod.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

cant you have up to like, 16 weapons in each slot or something?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Bio Hazard wrote:cant you have up to like, 16 weapons in each slot or something?
You can have 10 weapon slots with 8 weapons in each.
Risen

Post by Risen »

geedougg wrote:Risen: So is Todd basically subliminally giving you guys the green light?
The project has the "green light" provided some minor modifications are made. The team is discussing how best to make them, and is now moving forward again.

Return to “Levels”