[/me is pissed] DoomBuilder 3D Mode Problem

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Tormentor667

[/me is pissed] DoomBuilder 3D Mode Problem

Post by Tormentor667 »

Hey guys, I have a very, very big problem with my DoomBuilder 3D Mode :(:(:(:(:(
yesterday, I installed the latest graphiccard drivers from NVIDIA for my GeForce4 and now, today (after having my machine rebooted), I started DoomBuilder, worked on one of my maps, changed into 3D Mode and fater moving my mouse around for 1-2 seconds, the display gets blank black :( 3D Mode is still running and the machine didn't crash (with W I can get back in the normal editor mode) but the screen in 3D Mode is only black, nothing else.

I played around and found out the following things:
- It doesn't matter what I do, after 1-10 seconds (depends on level size and sectors visible in 3D Mode?), the screen while editing gets black :( also if I don't move my mouse or edit something.
- I changed resolution, color depth, frequency and other stuff without any success.

This really sucks, because without the 3D Mode, mapping takes about 300% of the time, I usally need so I hope someone can suggest, what do do :((
Curunir
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Curunir »

Rollback the drivers :|
I know it sucks, but it's probably the drivers' fault, not DB's. Those uber-new drivers only screw things up. I have a GeForce 2 and I had to downgrade my drivers to 30.82 to get all the stuff I want to work. Just find the batch of drivers which is dated approximately the same as your GeForce.
LogicDeLuxe

Re: [/me is pissed] DoomBuilder 3D Mode Problem

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Tormentor667 wrote:yesterday, I installed the latest graphiccard drivers from NVIDIA for my GeForce4 and now...
So you got the point. Never touch a running system!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Ok... downgrading it :(
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This may well be a problem with the monitor. Make sure that the frequencies output by the graphics card can be handled by the monitor. Many monitors switch themselves off when they detect a possibly harmful signal.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Graf Zahl wrote:This may well be a problem with the monitor. Make sure that the frequencies output by the graphics card can be handled by the monitor. Many monitors switch themselves off when they detect a possibly harmful signal.
This hardly would be affected by the size of the level. :wink:
It seems to be caused by some overflow which happens after a paticular number of frames are rendered. Less sectors to be drawn -> higher frame rate -> overflow occours earlier. I'm pretty sure, there's something wrong with the driver.
CodeImp

Post by CodeImp »

Heh yea, I basically said the same @ doomworld where he posted the same question. It must be something with your drivers in relation with your videocard or directx, if that is all that you've changed.
CodeImp@Doomworld wrote:So what did you change? You installed new video drivers. Myabe they are not the correct drivers? Maybe they have known bugs? I cant tell, but what I can tell is that I have no clue how Doom Builder could possibly do this (I didnt code any timer or some sort that renders your screen black after a certain period of time if thats what you mean).
Maybe try reinstalling DirectX after installing the videodrivers? Just a wild guess, worth a try ;)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Thx for all of your tipps, I have reinstalled my old drivers and it works fine again. I will check the real reason for crashing later, now I will map ;)
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Using the drivers "the same date as your card" is stupid -- really stupid. It typically takes 4-6 months of driver patches for a card to see its full potential, so you'd be limiting your own performance for no reason. As for brand new patches, yes they have a tendacy to cause unforseen issues with current software. In those cases where you want to use that software now (such as this one), a rollback is a good idea -- at least until they release information on how to fix the issue, or upgrade the drivers again. You definitly shouldn't be cowering away from trying out new driver versions though, particularly if you like to play new stuff that may take advantage of features introduced in driver updates.
Curunir
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Curunir »

/me slaps HotWax.
Silence. Of course it's not stupid. And I said approximately.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”