I talked to Strife Lead Programmer...:(

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Anonymous

I talked to Strife Lead Programmer...:(

Post by Anonymous »

I asked for if he knows anything about the source and if he has it maybe and this is what I got:

I've actually had several requests for it, and I think I've gotten all the approvals I need; HOWEVER, nobody seems to have the source code anymore. It got lost when Rogue sold off their office equipment from what I hear. Sorry. L

I'd really like to see it ported too.

-James

DAMNIT!!!!
I guess thats it now...Strife is a doomed game, no success, underrated as heck and doomed to stay a game tied to DOS.
I feel nothing but hate today...
:(
Enjay

Re: I talked to Strife Lead Programmer...:(

Post by Enjay »

Megatron1983 wrote:Strife is a doomed game
Oh very good. :P

However, that is bad, if not unexpected, news. :(
Anonymous

No withdrawing

Post by Anonymous »

I wont give up so easy though, I just sent out an eMail to Tim Willits of id software and then Ill do the same with each and every other person that ever had something to do with Strife.

I wont stop looking until the last person of that team told me its hopeless.
Aside of that, I will ask James if he has anything technical that has to do with the strife engine randy could use.

Rouge entertainment...bunch of pathetic morons!!
Its like intel selling some office crap and oops where is all the data for Pentium 4?? This is something that SHOULD NOT happen.
HotWax

Re: No withdrawing

Post by HotWax »

Megatron1983 wrote:I wont give up so easy though, I just sent out an eMail to Tim Willits of id software and then Ill do the same with each and every other person that ever had something to do with Strife.

I wont stop looking until the last person of that team told me its hopeless.
Aside of that, I will ask James if he has anything technical that has to do with the strife engine randy could use.

Rouge entertainment...bunch of pathetic morons!!
Its like intel selling some office crap and oops where is all the data for Pentium 4?? This is something that SHOULD NOT happen.
Um, no, it's not exactly like that. It's more like Intel losing the specs to the 286 processor, or MS dumping the Windows 3.11 source. Where do you draw the line between archiving things and wasting space? If they had no future plans for Strife, and no idea that several years down the road someone was going to want their source, why should they have taken extra measures to back it up? It's a pity it's not available, but stuff like this happens all the time. It's just a shame it happened to something that so many people would like to see updated. (See also: DCK) It sucks, but you really can't blame Rogue for not backing up every single program they created.
Anonymous

Well...

Post by Anonymous »

I still do, no plans for it?
Just like id and the Doom engine?
Do what they did:
Make it available for the community damn it and dont throw it away!

Also, the way people talk about it (..got lost when rouge sold some office stuff) it wasnt something done on purpose, it happened on accident.

So in both ways what they did sucks hairy balls.

- Didnt have any plans for it and just threw it away = being selfish and screwing the community.

- Lost it on accident = just as dumb

Aside of that, Doom engine was already outdated when Strife was released, they made a game in 1996 with technology from 1993.
Its pretty obvious that this engine had zero future but a mega big community. Especially since Strife added nice features to the engine it should have been a normal thing for Rogue to know that the community is gonna want the source if they have no use for it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

id didn't release the source code for several years after it was released though.. and strife wasn't a terribly popular game. clearly it's sad that they lost it but maybe not that strange.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

I bet at least ONE person in this world has the source. I bet it's someone like that Bill Gates and he's holding it at a price. I can see him, laughing at our futile attempts "Bwa ha ha, those silly doom fans, they shall never play strife on my far supereor windows setup, I am teh 1337 455!!!!111111 4ll y0ur b4s5 4r3 b3l0nG 2 u5!"

Bastard bill gates...

:twisted:
Anonymous

umm

Post by Anonymous »

Strife runs well on XP, the sound is just screwed and causes the game to lag even on my P4 3 GHZ PC.

So we might ask billy to fix the sound problems :lol:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I have managed to get sound with Strife (and other Doom games) to be a little improved under XP. It still sounds a bit crackly, but no longer slows down the game.

First I make a patched exe. A have a util that goes through the exe and tries to make the calls to the hardware more XP compatible (at least I think that's what it does).

Then I run the game using VDM Sound ( http://ntvdm.cjb.net/ ).

I'll attach the patching util. I think I've included everything needed in the zip. If not, let me know. You unzip the files and run the bat file from the command line, adding suitable parameters (run it without any to find out what the parameters are).

Edit: Gah, had to delete some stuff from my account before I could attach. Should be there now.
Last edited by Enjay on Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

Oh yeah, please do that. I still haven't had a chance to play the damn game and I'd rather not wait till ZDoom has support for it before I do :P
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Lexus Alyus wrote:I bet at least ONE person in this world has the source. I bet it's someone like that Bill Gates and he's holding it at a price. I can see him, laughing at our futile attempts "Bwa ha ha, those silly doom fans, they shall never play strife on my far supereor windows setup, I am teh 1337 455!!!!111111 4ll y0ur b4s5 4r3 b3l0nG 2 u5!"

Bastard bill gates...

:twisted:
Someone ought to set up him the bomb then...
Zell

Post by Zell »

*over the cs sound system* Zell set us u th..e....bo...mb......RUN!!!! :P
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Enjay wrote:First I make a patched exe. A have a util that goes through the exe and tries to make the calls to the hardware more XP compatible (at least I think that's what it does).
That's not supposed to be necessary under XP, at least with the latest VDMSound. The problem was that other versions of NT would make it hang when it tried to momentarily disable interrupts while starting the sound code. XP is supposed to have a work-around for this built-in that doesn't require hacking the executable and making it more prone to crashing.

Unfortunately, VDMSound doesn't make it work any better than XP's native SoundBlaster emulation for me, so I run it without sound when I'm checking things out.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I've tried it both using just VDMSound and with this patch, and the results are better (for me at least) when using the patch (albeit marginally). However, things are still far from perfect. :(
HotWax

Re: Well...

Post by HotWax »

Megatron1983 wrote:I still do, no plans for it?
Just like id and the Doom engine?
Do what they did:
Make it available for the community damn it and dont throw it away!
How many years later? Rogue couldn't have legally released the Strife source at the time had they wanted to. id owned the rights to the Doom code. Once id released it, it was too late for Rogue to do the same.
Also, the way people talk about it (..got lost when rouge sold some office stuff) it wasnt something done on purpose, it happened on accident.
What I meant was that they didn't put a huge enough importance on it to back it up somewhere safe or to make sure they kept it during the move. Since Strife wasn't that popular and they had no idea that down the road that people were going to want the source (or that they had a reason to release it), I imagine they didn't see it as a huge priority.
So in both ways what they did sucks hairy balls.

- Didnt have any plans for it and just threw it away = being selfish and screwing the community.
Yes, selfish. 1) They didn't have full ownership of the code. Even had they wanted to, they couldn't have given it to you. 2) 99.9999% of the software you use, you'll never see the source code for. Is that the company being selfish? Since when is it a requirement to hold onto source code and eventually give it away for free? 3) YOU'RE being selfish wanting something you have no right to own. If they gave it to us, that'd be fantastic and they should be applauded, just like id Software should be for releasing the Doom code. However there is no law saying they had to do this for you.
- Lost it on accident = just as dumb
Do you know where your homework from 2nd grade is? Because I'd really like to see it. You don't? OMG you are a motherfucking jackass! You should have expected someone down the road to want that!! Why the hell didn't you save it, dumbass?!?

I trust you get my point.
Aside of that, Doom engine was already outdated when Strife was released, they made a game in 1996 with technology from 1993.
Its pretty obvious that this engine had zero future but a mega big community.
Just another reason not to take extra special care of the source code. I'll bet what wasn't obvious at the time was that years down the road someone was going to be bitching them out for not keeping code to a game that didn't sell very well and almost no one (apparently) liked very much.
Especially since Strife added nice features to the engine it should have been a normal thing for Rogue to know that the community is gonna want the source if they have no use for it.
Before the Doom source was released, releasing the source to a game was unprecedented, or at least extremely rare. How can you expect them to know in advance that someone is going to want their code, they're going to be willing to give it to them, and the features in the engine could be useful to other people, especially given that (this is a recording) 1) the code wasn't theirs to give away, and 2) the game didn't sell well.

Return to “General”