[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
osjclatchford

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by osjclatchford »

been playing q2 again recently... that, and the success of my unmaker edits, inspired me to give this a second shot:
q2 railgun.png
Minigunner

Post by Minigunner »

I'd hate to break the flow of things here, but I'm getting sick of people dumping bland model viewer screenshots on here as if anyone's gonna use them. A good model rip needs either proper lighting or post-editing to make the lighting passable.
If you want good examples of model rips, quite a few games in the 90's have had weapon sprites rendered from models. Duke Nukem 3D is a notable example. I myself have been inspired by that kind of style; stuff like this MP7 sprite and my DNF Devastator rip were attempts to mimic Duke 3D's style.
You can also look to other users here, such as NoozeArts and Cage, for their awesome weapons based off renders of models they designed for this purpose, or others such as zrrion, who post-edit screenshots of game weapons to the point where they represent his own style more than anything. A model render can be good, it's just that it requires quite a bit of time and effort.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

VriskaSerket wrote:I tried playing around with the BFGs,
Spoiler:
osjclatchford wrote:been playing q2 again recently... that, and the success of my unmaker edits, inspired me to give this a second shot:
q2 railgun.png
ALRIGHT. You guys won it. Just won it. GORGEOUS edits!!! Simply Gorgeous! i'm not kidding. I always expected a centered quake-ish railgun. Excellent work ford!

And Vriska, the forth one just blew me off. i can already see a little blending using ford's previous BFG opening core to reveal this "plasma rifle" core of yours. that would be awesome!

Congratulations to you both.

EDIT: I'm preparing some sprite sheets for tonight. ;)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Minigunner wrote:I'd hate to break the flow of things here, but I'm getting sick of people dumping bland model viewer screenshots on here as if anyone's gonna use them. A good model rip needs either proper lighting or post-editing to make the lighting passable.
If you want good examples of model rips, quite a few games in the 90's have had weapon sprites rendered from models. Duke Nukem 3D is a notable example. I myself have been inspired by that kind of style; stuff like this MP7 sprite and my DNF Devastator rip were attempts to mimic Duke 3D's style.
You can also look to other users here, such as NoozeArts and Cage, for their awesome weapons based off renders of models they designed for this purpose, or others such as zrrion, who post-edit screenshots of game weapons to the point where they represent his own style more than anything. A model render can be good, it's just that it requires quite a bit of time and effort.
I'm really sure i'm the one who posts such model or screenshot sprites, i'm absolutely sorry. and about my excuse, I'm really trying to be good at editing and finding the better models that fits with doom or other game styles. Sometimes i make good sprites also don't. And after looking at some of my sprites, i want to say 'dear god. Did i actually made these things?' :|

In other words, i'll do my best next time.
osjclatchford wrote:been playing q2 again recently... that, and the success of my unmaker edits, inspired me to give this a second shot:
q2 railgun.png
Now that's retrospective, brilliant work! :D
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

thanks guys really pleased with how the railgun ended up oh and how the funt did I miss those bfgs . seriously wow! :shock: forth makes me think quake264...
enderkevin13

Post by enderkevin13 »

Minigunner wrote:I'd hate to break the flow of things here, but I'm getting sick of people dumping bland model viewer screenshots on here as if anyone's gonna use them. A good model rip needs either proper lighting or post-editing to make the lighting passable.
If I were better at spriting, I'd try and make them look good. Sadly, I'm not at that level of spriting skill yet.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

I can understand your point of view, but I consider them useful to some degree - if nothing else, they can be used as bases for more complete sprites.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

But this is the "Sprite Carnival", not the "Screenshot of a Model that might be of good use to someone else with skills" thread
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

So i guess we need a new thread that holds the model based sprites now? or just bet on luck for someone actually posts model sprites that are decent and suitable for the games?

And i hope it won't get any longer and back to the topic. also if the model based sprite's quality gets worse and getting negative, it might be a bad news for fine or bad model based spriters, sadly.
enderkevin13

Post by enderkevin13 »

I could start one for model based sprites.
VriskaSerket
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by VriskaSerket »

GAA1992 wrote: ALRIGHT. You guys won it. Just won it. GORGEOUS edits!!! Simply Gorgeous! i'm not kidding. I always expected a centered quake-ish railgun. Excellent work ford!

And Vriska, the forth one just blew me off. i can already see a little blending using ford's previous BFG opening core to reveal this "plasma rifle" core of yours. that would be awesome!

Congratulations to you both.

EDIT: I'm preparing some sprite sheets for tonight. ;)
Thanks matey. I'm explorin' some neat fusions.
I made a Super Chainsaw thingy.
And a version with the blades further forward

Or better yet, a chainsaw that can move it's dual blades forwards?
Whatever.
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

VriskaSerket wrote:Or better yet, a chainsaw that can move it's dual blades forwards?
Whatever.
Or even better yet a double Chainsaw launcher (and are semi homing too)

or even a shotgun that is basicly does no damage but Cuases a big knockback (simmilar to Pillow blasters "Russian overkill" shotgun quadrovulgue knockback)
VriskaSerket
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by VriskaSerket »

Redead-ITA wrote:
VriskaSerket wrote:Or better yet, a chainsaw that can move it's dual blades forwards?
Whatever.
Or even better yet a double Chainsaw launcher (and are semi homing too)

or even a shotgun that is basicly does no damage but Cuases a big knockback (simmilar to Pillow blasters "Russian overkill" shotgun quadrovulgue knockback)
Super Shotty edit. I call it the "Shockgun", despite having nothing to do with electricity. Unless it fires shock shells or something.

zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

That is one damn sexy shotgun
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

My shotgun Fetish Aproves it to be very nice one

Return to “General”