ZDoom 2.7.1

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

randi
Site Admin

ZDoom 2.7.1

Post by randi »

ZDoom 2.7.1 is now available from the download page. This version includes the following changes from 2.7.0:
  • Added new additive [wiki=GameInfo definition]GameInfo[/wiki] keywords: AddCreditPage, AddPlayerClasses, and AddInfoPage.
  • Added a new DONTDRAIN flag to mark actors as ineligible for vampirism attacks.
  • Compatibility fixes for Ultimate Simplicity map07, Cheogsh map01, Super Sonic Doom map31
  • Polyobject mirror numbers can no longer be changed with [wiki]SetLineSpecial[/wiki]. This was never a supported feature and caused problems for legitimate uses of SetLineSpecial on polyobject lines.
  • The powered-up Gold Wand was not puffing on actors.
  • Disabled Heretic's punishment cheats when in allcheats mode.
  • Objects that explode on death no longer deal the damage they were dealt instead of their own.
  • Vampirism attacks now respect damage reduction.
  • Demo recording now writes correct user info to demos.
  • ACS's PlaySound for looping sounds now works properly when using channel flags.
Blue Shadow

Re: ZDoom 2.7.1

Post by Blue Shadow »

A new release already! Are we expecting frequent releases from now on?
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

I would like to do more frequent bug fix releases now. That's what the maint branch is for. I would have liked to do it for Subversion, too, but branches are kind of a pain to work with in Subversion compared to Git.

Feature releases may or may not be more frequent.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Out of curiosity, what does "maint" mean? Is it the equivilent of SVN's "trunk"? Is "maint" a standardized name?
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

"master" is equivalent to trunk. maint is short for maintenance, it's a branch that contains primarily bug fixes.

Or another way of putting it:
maint = ZDoom 2.7.x
master = ZDoom 2.8.0
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xtyfe »

randi wrote:I would like to do more frequent bug fix releases now. That's what the maint branch is for. I would have liked to do it for Subversion, too, but branches are kind of a pain to work with in Subversion compared to Git.

More frequent releases in general is an awesome development :p
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Randi, isn't it time for a 2.8 news post?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

The release for 2.8 is already done - at least as far as the Windows version and the source code goes.

However, I am pretty sure she's going through the painstaking trouble of collecting all the git changes to actually make for the news post. (I've worked with projects like that before, while I never did anything on the magnitude of ZDoom, even what I've done requires a bit of work when you've got hundreds to thousands of commits to sort through - it can take hours, sometimes even days, to make a proper news post)

She may or may not be waiting until she has a Mac OS release ready, to make that post, too.

So the short answer, my guess would be, is - She's working on it, and it will be ready when it's ready™.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

In that case: Make an announcement - collect the data - update the announcement.
Gez

Post by Gez »

" If you do not have a copy of Doom, Heretic, or Hexen, the easiest way to obtain them is to purchase them from Steam. When you download them from Steam, ZDoom will automatically find them."

This should be updated. First, ZDoom can find them from GOG too, and secondly one of the links (it was to "Doom Pack Complete") is dead.

It may be better to link to the Doom Wiki pages for Steam and GOG.
Xtyfe
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xtyfe »

Xtyfe wrote:
randi wrote:I would like to do more frequent bug fix releases now. That's what the maint branch is for. I would have liked to do it for Subversion, too, but branches are kind of a pain to work with in Subversion compared to Git.

More frequent releases in general is an awesome development :p
I must admit I now laugh at my myself from 2.5 years ago saying this.
Gez wrote:" If you do not have a copy of Doom, Heretic, or Hexen, the easiest way to obtain them is to purchase them from Steam. When you download them from Steam, ZDoom will automatically find them."

This should be updated. First, ZDoom can find them from GOG too, and secondly one of the links (it was to "Doom Pack Complete") is dead.

It may be better to link to the Doom Wiki pages for Steam and GOG.
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/18397/ is the new place to find classic complete.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I know, that link is available on the wiki page, which is kind of the point of linking to it.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Graf Zahl wrote:In that case: Make an announcement - collect the data - update the announcement.
Agreed. This is usually what I do for developing some of my projects because people are just impatient for the betas I release. :roll:
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

If I were in her shoes reading this, I would be wishing I could go back in time so I could delay on uploading 2.8.0 until everything together was all ready - even if it took a few days.

That's not even considering the fact that this is a hobby, no one is earning a wage doing this. She might be tied up with work or family or life or something.

It really is exciting that ZDoom 2.8 is coming out, and I know the feelings you guys are getting, because I am getting them too. But a little patience never hurts. ;) I'm pretty sure it will all be there in due time. <3
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Two and a half YEARS... I think I need not say more on how patient we've been. ESPECIALLY considering this marks a new era where post 2.8 sees introductions to the scripting branch!

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”