Newschool Classic HUD

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Newschool Classic HUD

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

I made this for personal use to be used in my autoexec.ini, but I tought somebody would like to see it.
This is a fullscreen HUD for Zdoom/GZdoom/Skulltag made in the spirit of the classic HUD.

I always disliked the Zdoom HUD for some reasons, like small health/ammo/armor counter numbers, and the most important: The Zdoom HUD doesn't shows up the Doomguy's face.I love having the Doomguy's face at my screen, laughting when he finds a new gun, bleeding when he gets hurt, etc. But it also helps in gameplay, since it indicates from where attacks are comming from. In other hand, I don't like the classic status bar anymore, since it reduces the vertical field of view, plus, cutting some pixels of the weapon sprites. Not to mention that if you are playing a wad with inventory items (like NeoDoom, for example), the inventory item will overlap Doomguy's face in the classic HUD.

Now, using parts of the classic statusbar, I made a fullscreen HUD with them, that shows Doomguy's face, (and it won't be overlaped by inventory items now), and big font numbers.

Download:
http://www.4shared.com/file/htIMiXYj/Ne ... icHUD.html
(6kb)

Instructions:
In your Display Options, then Hud Options (if you are using Skulltag) or just Hud Options (GZDoom) and check if "Stretch Status Bar" is set to YES, or it will not behave properly.

Suggestions about how to improve it are wellcome.
amv2k9

Re: Newschool Classic HUD

Post by amv2k9 »

What's the yellow number in the top-left corner for? Time spent in current map? I don't think its monsters.
Last edited by amv2k9 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

amv2k9 wrote:What's the yellow number in the top-left corner for?
Probably Fraps' FPS display.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:Instructions:
In your Display Options, then Hud Options (if you are using Skulltag) or just Hud Options (GZDoom) and check if "Stretch Status Bar" is set to YES, or it will not behave properly.
There are two ways you as a coder can get around this, actually:

1. Use the Forcescaled flag in your status bar definition, like so:

Code: Select all

statusbar fullscreen, forcescaled
{
2. Use Fullscreenoffsets instead, that way it can be scaled to widescreen displays as well. This will require complete retooling of all the coordinate placement of every item in the bar, though, since Fullscreenoffsets uses a different coordinate system to anchor bar elements to the corners of the screen.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

Thanks for the info, weasel. I will fix it now.
kaos_2211

Re: HUD

Post by kaos_2211 »

hello very good mod .... hears someone could help me I need to bend a hud ... but when you have less than 30% health is mustre on the player's screen LED flashing red screen or display an image .. as in the mod tutnt .. or doomero in doom3 mod, I promise to give credit ...
southpark2010

Post by southpark2010 »

kaos_2211 wrote:hello very good mod .... hears someone could help me I need to bend a hud ... but when you have less than 30% health is mustre on the player's screen LED flashing red screen or display an image .. as in the mod tutnt .. or doomero in doom3 mod, I promise to give credit ...
Rather than copy and pasting the same thing in three different threads, you could've made a new thread in the Editing forum.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

More yummy stuff for the HUD folder.
Ammo counters are always welcome though.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

I'd like to try this out but 4shared wants me to make an account to download a 6kb file...
DrMoney

Post by DrMoney »

BugMeNot has some open logins for 4shared.
patrik

Post by patrik »

This HUD is my favourite for Zandronum (because it still lacks stretching for fullscreen HUD (?!) and I have 1980x1020 screen resolution, so you can easily imagine how ridiculously small in-built Zan fullscreen HUD looks for me) because it occupies very little of screen space, shows Doomguys face and it even supports displaying different ammo types seperately, if you use it with mod that includes them.

Anyways check attachment. Glad to help and spread this little known HUD.
Attachments
NewschoolClassicHUD.wad
(6.19 KiB) Downloaded 1228 times
Quadruplesword

Post by Quadruplesword »

Could you make a version for 16:9 screens? Other than that, I quite like this. Clean and simplistic, but very functional.
Nickelbawker

Post by Nickelbawker »

Hey Sergeant Mark IV I need some help with this GUI. I made some mods mostly ripped stuff out of it made it more HD looking, imo.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-JgZF ... sp=sharing

This is the normal GUI

This is the problem I'm having, I made a HD Armor graphic for the green chest armor and it didn't Blow up real big like this it stayed the proper size, I see nothing in the sbar code that would adjust this though.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

The thread is over a year old and sergeant mark has been banned from the forums as well
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

@Nickelbawker: To fix the problem, you should make a little change in SBARINFO lump. To be precise, you need to specify the limits for armoricon large image.

Here is an example of the SBARINFO line from my HXRTC HUD for Quaker's Mod:

Code: Select all

drawimage armoricon, -24, 21, center, 30, 30;
The values 30, 30 are in fact the <max-width> and <max-height> in pixels the large image can be drawn. So, if you stablish some limit values of the armoricon in your HUD, it won't exceed its size in any way.

Should take a look at this for more information: http://zdoom.org/wiki/DrawImage

Hope this info can help you! :wink:

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”