Z-Kart discussion

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
scalliano

Re: Z-Kart discussion

Post by scalliano »

No sweat, you've done an amazing job up to now. Enjoy your holiday :)

I'll leave these here in the meantime. Not really necessary at this stage, but I threw in my own personal skin as a separate download to make up the numbers.
Attachments
zkarts1b.pk3
(111.9 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
cameronkart.pk3
(23.8 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

So I was thinking, "Why not? It's pretty trivial to add. Won't take any time at all." And then I discovered if you set the state of an actor from a script that the actor's decorate called, then ZDoom exits ungracefully.

So the B frames are in, but only functional if you're a player. I will most likely need to shuffle the state switching logic in to decorate.

NOW I really won't be at my computer for a few days.

EDIT: Eh, fuck it. Here's the latest version of the Create-A-Kart program.

This comes with no warranty, no liability and no instructions. .NET Framework 4 is required, and it requires all files to be in a loose folder instead of a PK3. If it wrecks your shit, well, it sucks to be you because this is pretty raw code in the grand scheme of things and you obviously didn't read this paragraph properly.
Attachments
zkart_with_b_frames.pk3
(215.89 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

raymoohawk wrote:not sure if this helps, but this is my attempt

ImageImageImageImageImage

so... should i continue with the dopefish?
Yessss!
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

One of those nights where I can't sleep. So I put my brain to use for design stuff.

In terms of structure, I think aiming for just Doom and having other ZDoom supported games as expansions is a good first goal. Gives the mod some focus instead of just being a "do everything" off the bat. And sidesteps the dreaded palette issues. An all-stars remix is certainly possible down the line.

This then means the races. Six cups, three races each. And it just retells the Doom 1 and 2 story. As I see it:

Phobos Base
Race 1: Hangar
Race 2: ???
Race 3: Phobos Anomaly

Deimos Base
Race 1: Deimos Anomaly
Race 2: ??!
Race 3: Tower of Babel

Inferno
Race 1: Hell Keep
Race 3: Dis

Industrial Zone
Race 1: Entryway
Race 3: Circle of Destruction

Hometown
Race 1: Downtown
Race 2: Suburbs
Race 3: ???

Return to Hell
Race 1: ???
Race 3: Icon of Sin

18 maps then. With the possibility for 24 with secret maps (the triggering of which could be a tactical advantage). Hometown would be the obvious secret map, given that's when you visit Wolfenstein in Doom 2's course of events.

The final map of each cup will have some kind of gimmick. I want to do the Icon of Sin map at the very least, where the race leader completing a lap results in a rocket being fired in to the Icon. Tower of Babel could have cybie taking potshots at racers.

Is it time to elevate this from the editing forum to a full fledged project forum thread? This is cacoward material in the making, so getting a skilled team together would be beneficial.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

If the core mechanics of this are far enough along that mapping is being seriously considered I'd say someone should start a thread in projects.
Also, I'd be up for any kind of mapping this thing needs.
Last edited by zrrion the insect on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

Sure, sign me up for mapping, sounds like fun and somewhat quick to do, definitely up for nabbing Deimos Anomaly if it is decided we go with Goobs suggestion.
Still waiting up a while to see the mechanics more finished so that one can design the track around the kart physics.

@Gooberman: About the camera movement, I was thinking of adding some linear interpolation to the camera following the kart, it gives it so much more of a natural feel to it.
The chasecam used here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWj__fCgzk is an example, the script here isn't written by me though so I can't just give up that one but I'm sure you'll figure out how to do it!
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

If a fish will be on a kart for a Doom project, why not Wapiko? That's a long-time community staple.

raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

but dopefish is from an idgame, that said if only doom monsters are going to make it into the roster i understand

but if it does make it in maybe one of the alternate colorations could make it look like wapiko
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

I'd be fine with helping out in general, too. Maybe toss in a map or two, should be a lot easier for me if I'm reorganizing a map's recognizable parts into something entirely different.
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

Im in for the mapping. Just tell me what needs to be added (like the goal line, the ramdom powerup boxes and so on).
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

.+:icytux:+. wrote:@Gooberman: About the camera movement, I was thinking of adding some linear interpolation to the camera following the kart, it gives it so much more of a natural feel to it.
Video game cameras are actually one of my specialties. The camera on display is very first pass as it snaps exactly to the player's rotation, and was little more than a "can this method work?" prototype when I originally wrote it. I will be putting a fair bit more work in to the camera in the future.

On the note of maps: A good kart map will require much more than just reorganising rooms from the original map. How would you do an Icon of Sin kart map? You can't make a good course out of that level without some imagination, but you can make it feel like that level. The key to map design will be laying out a good course with the idea of an area from the original map in mind, then making it look like the original map.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

GooberMan wrote:How would you do an Icon of Sin kart map?
The track's slopes will progressively raise per lap, final lap finish leads into the brain

also several bosscube polyobjs being spun around outside the track's checkpoints making their firing sound. just 'cause
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

And how do you handle someone being still on the first lap while everyone else is on the third with this morphing track design?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

The track will get morphed for them anyway. Ever played some of the transforming tracks in SASRT?
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

Soo got a little excited and started mapping on a Deimos Anomaly map anyway. I instantly hit a slight issue though, the kart can't even climb a 8 mapunit step. I'd say either have it be able to climb a 8 mapunit step, or give the kart itself some tiny jump it can do to get up small ledges like that. Or what do you guys think?
Basically in my map I want you to be able to fall down theese blood pits that slow you down, but I also want you to be able to get up and out of them
http://i.imgur.com/7NOh2yi.png

[EDIT] woooah is it fun to play if you slap the "79: low friction" sector special on the entire map :D the map i'm makin isn't really built for those speeds but still. Now I see why the friction feature suggestion is really important.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”