Accessories to Murder (ww-doomnukem): on Github

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Accessories to Murder (ww-doomnukem): Update 4-10

Post by wildweasel »

electricbolt wrote:Increasing the pump shotgun's ammo capacity, reloading speed and, perhaps, fire-rate in the same way Brutal Doom did
I'm sorry, but I'm not going to do this.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

He already increased its ammo capacity by letting the player chamber a shell in addition to filling the magazine.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

recent shotgun's reloading speed and capacity is fair also balanced enough to be even more OP-lize it, since it was replacement of the super shotgun. oh, also he doesn't want to follow the brutal doom, either me. sorry.
electricbolt

Post by electricbolt »

I don't want this mod to be brutal doom, as I prefer this one 1000 times more, and brutal doom was perhaps the worst reference I came up with to make the point I was trying to make.
I was just trying to highlight the fact that... at least to me personally... that I feel the SMG is a little overpowered compared to the pump shotgun and ends up overshadowing it a bit (please don't think Brutal Doom when I say this). I was merely suggesting my personal point of view in this subject, and I deeply respect wildweasel's creation, and everyone else s opinion in the matter.
Please don't misjudge me, as I'm not a big fan of brutal doom at all to say the least.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Pretty much my point with the pump shotgun is to make it more of a distance weapon. If you're close enough that you might not have time to fire two shells into a charging demon, then you should really be using the sawed-off to push them away, since it reloads quicker and can give you some much-needed breathing room. The pump shotgun is essentially a sniper rifle; its best use is for engaging stronger monsters, like Tribal Knights or Cacos, at fair-to-medium distance. The rifle, on the other hand, is very much a close-quarters buddy, especially with charging monsters like the mechdemons, since it reloads quickly and its ammo is plentiful in later maps.

I generally tend to deemphasize the use of the shotguns in my mods, because many, many, many available maps give far more shotgun ammo than anything else, due to so many players preferring the Super Shotgun over the rest of the arsenal. I tend to adjust ammo drops and magazine sizes so that the bullet weapons get more ammo than the shells, and to encourage players to try the rest of the non-shotgun arsenal. (If I had my way, there would only be one shotgun in this mod, but then I wouldn't have anything to replace it with.)
electricbolt

Post by electricbolt »

Oh, ok! I now better understand your intention! I love the fact that you are trying to make the other weapons more appealing, and encouraging players to use them more often over the (edit) pump shotgun. Though I still feel there's little incentive to use the pump shotgun, even as a sniper-rifle, since the SMG and the Revolver already serves that purpose being so accurate at long range, and quicker to reload and shoot too. It would be interesting to make the pump shotgun the only shotgun in this mod like you said, and that way you could investing in making it more effective in close range, and weaker at long range, and perhaps making the ammo even more scarce to make it more even.

I'm pretty fine with the mod as it is, and if you wish to keep it that way, that's fine. I already said it, it's my favorite mod of them all and I've got nothing but praise for it. The weapons feel great! the sounds are terrific! the enemies look awesome! Really, really looking forward to witness the final build of this awesome, awesome mod!
Last edited by electricbolt on Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Am I the only one who finds the pump shotgun to be a superior close-combat weapon? I find that to be its strongest suit, even...
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

welp, duh. it's stronger shotgun that replaces super shotgun and able to snipe, since wildweaasel said that was intensional. and that's how it makes waste the shells very often and keep us survive longer. also, it has a good weapon-swap combination with sawed-off.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Yep, the pump-shotgun replaces the super shotgun. The sawed-off is the basic one, hence why those are the shotguns used by the zombiemen. I really like it that way because it makes more sense, sawed-off double barrels are in fact simpler weapons compared to combat shotguns. Anyways I just played an episode with this mod and found the pump-shotgun to be the favoured weapon personally, but I did switch up my weapons quite a bit. It's a good mod, where you need to change your weapon depending on the environment. Even the dual pistols and sawed-off came in handy in later levels.

Also a fan of how the minigun replaces the plasma rifle, I always felt that miniguns should be treated as massive-heavy weapons rather then just a basic automatic weapon.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I agree to the point about Gatling guns. I do wish people would stop calling them Chainguns, though. Chainguns have a single barrel, and are fired by a motorized chain (hence the name).
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

by respecting the original, we had to. hell, even id always named 'em into chaingun at their few newest games such as q3 and d3. unless rtcw, though.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I'll still never forgive id for referring to magazines as "clips". :P
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

The download links for my render on WW's HUD for use with the vanilla game have broken. (Shouldn't use Puush as a download service.) Here's new links if anyone needs them, or is fresh to noticing them.

With the Doom mugshot
With the Accessories to Murder mugshot
With no mugshot
Xim

Post by Xim »

Ed the Bat wrote:I agree to the point about Gatling guns. I do wish people would stop calling them Chainguns, though. Chainguns have a single barrel, and are fired by a motorized chain (hence the name).
Yeah, minigun, gatling gun and vulcan are all appropriate. But not chain gun. :P
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I know I'm splitting hairs now, but I tend to favor the term Gatling, because it's more of an umbrella term for rotating multi-barrel gun (and because Richard Gatling is a hero of mine), wheras Minigun and Vulcan actually refer to specific models, and I usually prefer the most generic name available when I don't know an exact model name.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”