Playing online help

Talk about multiplayer ZDoom games here.
Forum rules
Immortal Destroyer

Playing online help

Post by Immortal Destroyer »

Sorry for my incredible stupid question, and for taking space for dump things, but, how can i play Online?
I know, there some engines out there like Zandronum but i really don't like their Gameplay. I also know that another thread start the same Subject but i really don't understand how i do it. I try with the Command Line, but it says that it's not a command. I locate here my GZDoom; C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\Games\GZDoom
And take a look what happens;

Do i need to move the file? All of my work is there, so it's huge. Please can you help me? :(
Last edited by Siggi on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed thread title
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Re: Playing online help

Post by Siggi »

maybe you should try this

Code: Select all

cd "C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\Games\GZDoom"
gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2 -host 2
However, if I remember correctly, this will host a two player game and wait for someone to join. I'm not sure if that's what you want.

If you're struggling with the command prompt maybe you can try one of the front ends. http://zdoom.org/wiki/Frontend
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Even if you use a launcher, you still need to know what to select and how to progress through the logins.
That's where the wiki comes in: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Multiplayer

In short, the host starts the process with the number of players (which includes the host).
Once that is established, then the other players join the game with the host's IP address.
Just make sure that each player has the exact same files.
For example:

command for host:

zdoom -host 2
or
zdoom -file pwadname.wad -host 2
Then the host waits for the number of players to join in, before the game starts.
This is not like a game server where players can join a game already in progress.
command for joining computer:

zdoom -join (ip address of host)
or
zdoom -file pwadname.wad -join (ip address of host)

or on a home lan

zdoom -join (host_computer_name)
or
zdoom -file pwadname.wad -join (host_computer_name)
And read through the posts of the networking threads. There is a lot of useful information!
Immortal Destroyer

Siggi wrote:maybe you should try this

However, if I remember correctly, this will host a two player game and wait for someone to join. I'm not sure if that's what you want.

If you're struggling with the command prompt maybe you can try one of the front ends. http://zdoom.org/wiki/Frontend
I've got this;

Do i need to move those files?
Immortal Destroyer

Kappes Buur wrote:*stuff*
I already knew them, my problem is that my Windows can't found the file, i think the fault is the location of them, but i must make sure before i do it.
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

I think you need to go back and retry Siggi's suggestion. In your previous attempt, you put only one quotation mark and included the exe in the path name.
Immortal Destroyer

jpalomo wrote:I think you need to go back and retry Siggi's suggestion. In your previous attempt, you put only one quotation mark and included the exe in the path name.
I tried that too. I really want to know what the problem is. :(
edward850

Post by edward850 »

I don't think you did. This is basic windows command line navigation, and you seem to be making a ham-fisted job of it. Let's go over this step by step:

This is your first command. The cd stands for "current directory", and the path you are providing it contains spaces so it's enclosed in quotations to indicate it's one argument.
You will notice the path on the left if the '>' changes to reflect this.

This is your next and final command, which launches gzdoom.exe with two arguments with one variable each. This is now possible because of the previous command setting your current directory to gzdoom.exe's location.
Fun fact: You don't actually need the ".exe" part, as the command command prompt implies this already (most system commands you use are executables sitting in a system folder). However nothing changes if you do or don't.
Immortal Destroyer

edward850 wrote:I don't think you did. This is basic windows command line navigation, and you seem to be making a ham-fisted job of it. Let's go over this step by step:

This is your first command. The cd stands for "current directory", and the path you are providing it contains spaces so it's enclosed in quotations to indicate it's one argument.
You will notice the path on the left if the '>' changes to reflect this.

This is your next and final command, which launches gzdoom.exe with two arguments with one variable each. This is now possible because of the previous command setting your current directory to gzdoom.exe's location.
Fun fact: You don't actually need the ".exe" part, as the command command prompt implies this already (most system commands you use are executables sitting in a system folder). However nothing changes if you do or don't.
Found the bad thing; My CMD is too old, that's why it aborts it at the first time. Thanks a lot, that worked like hell! :D
Now i will lock this thread. Thanks again!

Return to “Networking”