Soundfonts

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
DaMan

Re: Soundfonts

Post by DaMan »

Graf Zahl wrote:So what can I do with this monster? It's unusable because it immediately crashes when being used from inside (G)ZDoom because it runs out of memory.
Flagging (g)zdoom.exe as large address aware got it working for me.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Didn't help. Now it loaded for over a minute, then crashed. Is there any player software available that has a 64 bit option? I don't want to install a driver just to check this out.
Mánibranðr System
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Mánibranðr System »

I got Evanessence2 loaded just fine using the BASSMIDI plugin for Foobar2000. You can also contact the author to make a lite version with downsampled wavs.
Discordance

Post by Discordance »

I still need to try and download CGM3 again, kept cutting off about 100MB in on my numerous last attempts.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I have experimented with tons of different soundfonts recently and found that the following sound really good:

1) Arachno soundfont
2) Xioad Bank
3) 38.1mg The Atomic Soundfont V1.0 Bank

Actually, my personal favorite is the Atomic soundfont. It is the smallest of the three banks, but it has quite impressive instruments. Works fine with Timidity or BassMIDI. If you don't want to use EAWPats, this is a really good alternative.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

I threw this together for those who want to hear what some of these soundfont suggestions sound like.

Click here!
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

All the distorted guitars sound like saxophones to me. MusTheory doesn't sound that bad though.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

MusTheory, as I said to my friends; is a jack of all trades, as is SGM. But there are some things in SGM that lacks (such as the strings aren't as pronounced).
SyntherAugustus

If I can get CrisisGM to sound louder I'll be very happy. Trying to tweak it in Polyphone right now.

Then again, if I simply spend time ogg'ing up music I wouldn't have to worry about soundfonts as a whole.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v522nsskprvxzgy/map01b.ogg Sample, from BTSX Map01
Mánibranðr System

blackfish wrote:All the distorted guitars sound like saxophones to me. MusTheory doesn't sound that bad though.
Yeah unfortunately, there is no realistic way to make Guitars in MIDIs sound good, save for coding an Emulated Tube Amp routed to an unused CC parameter. The Roland SC-8850 Pro has a Tube Amp Filter routed to CC 71 and CC 74, unfortunately that kind of hardware isn't being sold anymore, and they go for at least $400 on eBay.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

ArcheKruz wrote:
blackfish wrote:All the distorted guitars sound like saxophones to me. MusTheory doesn't sound that bad though.
Yeah unfortunately, there is no realistic way to make Guitars in MIDIs sound good, save for coding an Emulated Tube Amp routed to an unused CC parameter. The Roland SC-8850 Pro has a Tube Amp Filter routed to CC 71 and CC 74, unfortunately that kind of hardware isn't being sold anymore, and they go for at least $400 on eBay.
Even with amp emulation, there are so many intricacies and expressive elements in the actual playing of a guitar (strum timing, velocity, different timbres from different strings, muting, subtle pitch bends, etc) that it's effectively impossible to ever be able to drop an existing MIDI track into a program to make it sound realistic.

Doing it properly means many long hours drawing automation parameters, and unfortunately the harder you try to make it sound realistic, the less it sounds like a charmingly retro synth guitar doing its thing, and the more it sounds like a soulless uncanny-valley imitation. Having struggled with it myself, I can pretty safely say that actually training to become a guitar virtuoso to record it for real would be a more effective use of approximately the same amount of time and effort it takes to craft a convincing and expressive electric guitar performance using a sequencer.
SyntherAugustus

Messing with fl studio and some vst instruments is still better than the saxophone guitar I can't stand (Though for actual midi composers like essel the VST instruments sound even worse probably). CrisisGM3 doesn't do the saxophone thing and sounds more OPL, which is why I use it over the others.

Whatever the user wants anyway. I'm glad I'm allowed to customize my doom experience and express it to some degree.
Mánibranðr System

esselfortium : To me, I am fine with just Tube Amp simulation. With it alone, it sounds fine enough without trying too hard. Also, having a tablet has its perks, since it allows me to easily draw automation shapes quickly. :P
NantoCodd

Post by NantoCodd »

Is that just me or the Arachno Soundfont sounds earraping on some midis? Examples are CBLUD7.mid from ZBlood. Some instruments sounds like they are too loud.
TheUltimateDoomer666

Post by TheUltimateDoomer666 »

NantoCodd wrote:Is that just me or the Arachno Soundfont sounds earraping on some midis? Examples are CBLUD7.mid from ZBlood. Some instruments sounds like they are too loud.
Sounds fine to me. It is loud and clear; it's not "earraping". What volume setting(s) do you use? (I have ZDoom music volume at 1.0 - max)

Return to “General”