Burl Tumd (Last updated 8/11/13)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Eric_

Burl Tumd (Last updated 8/11/13)

Post by Eric_ »

Click the image for the G/ZDoom version. The Zandronum version can be acquired here.

The primary emphasis in Burl Tumd is speed: EVERYTHING happens faster. You move faster, you kill faster, and you die faster. Weapons are made to be far more responsive and powerful, and in addition to speed there's a large emphasis on efficiency. Playing intelligently and using the right weapon at the right time will let you tear through the hordes at incredible speeds, whereas rushing in blindly will get you massacred quickly. I highly suggest that you read the .txt past the screenshots before playing so that you at least have some idea of what you're doing.

Additional features include:

Skill levels:
Spoiler:
Several pints of multicolored ketchup, with new weapons to extract it with:
Spoiler:
New enemies, as well as modified old ones:
Spoiler:
A readme written in similar style to how the name of this mod came about: READ ME (Readable version here.)

All this and more for less than one megabyte!

Please note that this isn't quite feature-complete yet - in particular, the rocket launcher animations are painfully half-assed, I intend on adding a BFG replacement at some point in time and I haven't buffed up most of the enemies yet.

Credits for resources used are included in credits.txt in the root folder of the PK3.
Last edited by Eric_ on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Dynamo

Re: Burl Tumd: Contains absolutely no racial slurs or real g

Post by Dynamo »

10/10

I tested this and it's actually a very fun mod, makes the game more fast paced without sacrificing the gameplay that makes doom amazing.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

lol @ intermission screen

everything is so overpowered I'm playing Map01 at medium with half my brain and took no damage. at all.

may update this post as I play more

EDIT:
-melee is 2 swords that appear to be different only in a bit of lag before the strike with the grey one
-also, berserk autoselects fist which can't be selected otherwise
-slash with black sword on map04 takes out a sergeant and the barrel behind him yeah a little op
+I like the suppressed pistol effect
+really all the weapons have a decent feel to them
-though the chaingun shooting while it's warming up to full speed is kinda weird if understandable
-umm is there any reason for this other than "a weapon mod that isn't brutal doom"
Last edited by Matt on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eric_

Post by Eric_ »

Vaecrius wrote:lol @ intermission screen

everything is so overpowered I'm playing Map01 at medium with half my brain and took no damage. at all.

may update this post as I play more
The zombiemen are pretty weak, I'll likely buff them. The shotgunners and demons both have vastly improved offensive capabilities, though. I made a bit of a point out of leaving health numbers the same - the idea is that if you play smart and pay attention, you'll be rewarded accordingly, whereas if you charge in blindly, you'll get massacred. Also, do note that the difficulties are named accordingly - Burl Tumd (UV-equivalent) is what the mod is designed around.

edit: you edited so i'm editing to reply to your edit
-melee is 2 swords that appear to be different only in a bit of lag before the strike with the grey one
The difference is that the one you start with does more damage with higher health and the chainsaw replacement hits harder with less health.
-also, berserk autoselects fist which can't be selected otherwise
Crap, I never noticed this while playtesting. Must be my settings, but I have yet to implement berserk properly anyway.
-though the chaingun shooting while it's warming up to full speed is kinda weird if understandable
Like I said, I want to re-do it so it isn't so weird.
-umm is there any reason for this other than "a weapon mod that isn't brutal doom"
Well, as you can see in the OP, Mr. Brutal Doom said that I (or rather, people who take issue with Brutal Doom) were just jealous because we couldn't make a "good Doom mod". I took offense to such slander and created this in response.
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

The Intermission screen and Mastermind cracked me up. Weapons feel good, though the Zombiemen do need a buff. Makes the whole game quicker, for sure. You kill faster and you die faster.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

The fist thing I think came from typing IDFA before summoning and picking up a zerkpack. Just copypaste and edit [wiki]Classes:Berserk[/wiki] and switch to whichever weapon is appropriate.

+"actual lol point" for Mr. Cake Man death
-just reading the code, I'd like to suggest that all obituaries should refer to who died since that's really the whole point.

EDIT:
Well, as you can see in the OP, Mr. Brutal Doom said that I (or rather, people who take issue with Brutal Doom) were just jealous because we couldn't make a "good Doom mod". I took offense to such slander and created this in response.
So uh I take that as "no" >_> (actually I kinda clicked on this expecting a total pisstake where everything was changed in the exact opposite direction of BD - everyone just falls down bloodlessly, people move faster, protag is audibly trying to keep his language PG-rated, up to and including the word "Hell" being replaced with "The Netherworld")
Blox

Post by Blox »

I'll just go ahead and say that we haven't gotten to implementing the gore because I'm too god damn lazy yet. :P
Gez

Post by Gez »

Vaecrius wrote:(actually I kinda clicked on this expecting a total pisstake where everything was changed in the exact opposite direction of BD - everyone just falls down bloodlessly, people move faster, protag is audibly trying to keep his language PG-rated, up to and including the word "Hell" being replaced with "The Netherworld")
Gëntle Doom -- now including taunts which let you say "I'm so terribly sorry" and "what a shame it had to come to this".
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

o_o ...

Quite possibly the best and beefiest Super Shotgun reloading sounds ever.
0bsidian

Post by 0bsidian »

Gez wrote: Gëntle Doom -- now including taunts which let you say "I'm so terribly sorry" and "what a shame it had to come to this".
With new zombie death sounds! "Oh dear, I'm so sorry I got my brains all over your nice clean armour."
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

0bsidian wrote:
Gez wrote: Gëntle Doom -- now including taunts which let you say "I'm so terribly sorry" and "what a shame it had to come to this".
With new zombie death sounds! "Oh dear, I'm so sorry I got my brains all over your nice clean armour."
Thiiiis very much seems like something that TF2 would do, heh.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

I gave this a try, Eric. I like this. A lot. Reminds me of a mod back when it was good. *Sniff*
Matt

Post by Matt »

Gez wrote:Gëntle Doom
you win every internet ever
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

Tried it. Liked it. Stuff may be bit overpowered, but you might still die faster.
APPROVED :thumb:
Vict

Post by Vict »

Uh, for the picture in the original post, is there any reason why you traced over the Duke Nukem 2 box art, colored it differently while making minor changes, then stretched it horizonally by about 50%?

Is it part of the joke that I don't seem to be getting right now? I mean, I've played it for about ten minutes and this is a jokewad right? Within the first few seconds I've discovered that none of the weapons of similar types share slots, and for some reason you put the shotguns on 4 and 5, yet an assault rifle is on 3 and the chaingun is on 6...

EDIT: Wait, no the pistols share slot 2. That means this was intentionally designed this way... Come on..

Return to “Gameplay Mods”