Re: Brütal Doom v0.17: Brutal Halloween Edition

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

So hey, Mark, buddy, would you mind telling me what in the name of Christ this is doing at the beginning of the GORE3 lump?

Code: Select all

// Watch how the plasma magic can instantly turn an average white guy into a nigger faster than Rap.
// Plasma Deaths.
I don't care that it's just a comment, and I certainly don't care if it's "just a joke." This is racist as fuck, and I don't want my name attached to any project that has the potential to tarnish my name. If I want to try and make some money professionally voice acting, how's it going to look for me if word gets out that this is in there? Whether I approved of it or not, I become "that guy from the racist torture simulator." I will have no part in this and I am delivering you an ultimatum: pull the racist shit, or remove all of my voice acting from the mod and all references to me from any included documentation. My reputation isn't worth being a part of this project.

EDIT: I am stating, for the record, that I had no knowledge of this comment being in the mod until a third party pointed it out and I confirmed its presence myself. I want it to be perfectly clear that I neither knew nor approved of this.

(in the interests of archival, this was moved out of off-topic and into general where it won't be autopruned. outside of that, none of the thread has been altered. -mgmt)
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

Ok, I have just read the stuff on the Something Awful and Badgame forums.

First of all, I want to say sorry for anyone who got offended by this joke. Unlike some people were advertising it on said forums, It was never my intention to spread white supremacy subliminal messages with it. It was just a joke, a bad joke I must admit. Worse than the Real Gore stuff. And yes, I will remove it on the upcoming version 18 that comes out next week.
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Brutal Doom: Tasteful and classy, as always.
Blox

Post by Blox »

Oh dear, society at their finest once again.
And here comes me and actually likes what he sees, because I like that joke. And I liked the real gore too.

Oh yeah it's me. And I'm me, so yeah.

Though I must say that while the base of the joke is fine (ladies and gentlemen - look at how this fine plasma magic turns white to black faster than rap!), it's kind of badly pulled.

Edit: But yeah, the negativity is kind of bothering me for what is almost guaranteed to be a For-Shits-And-Giggles joke thrown in for the exact same reason.
Something like random jokes stuffed as comments in code are only as serious as you take them, and unless he somehow stuffed an entire diary about how superior he is to his blacker human brethren in there too, it's unlikely to be anything more than a plain silly escapade during coding sessions.

Or what do you know, it's definitely not exactly appropriate, but again, it's just my own little opinion that I get annoyed over the negativity over it. (If just because it's such a minor thing.)
Last edited by Blox on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Eh, didn't really make anything of it other than a in-code joke, if perhaps an incredibly inappropriate one.
I can understand why some people are disturbed by it, don't get me wrong, and it definitely shouldn't be in there. I just hope people aren't passing judgement on Sarge as a human being or something for something like that; words are words, they only have real value if there's meaning or intent attached to them.

Kinda reminds me of that incident with Dead Island where one of the characters was referred to as a 'feminist bitch' in the code or something.

Anyways, that aside, here's a song that would make a good trailer song for v18:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuOXjGa5wMw
Last edited by Mike12 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Mike12 wrote:words are words, they only have real value if there's meaning or intent attached to them.
Slurs have a meaning and weight beyond what informal usage one applies to them.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Blox wrote:(If just because it's such a minor thing.)
It's NOT a minor thing. Racial slurs aren't just words, they're a meaning of otherizing people--making them lesser than yourself. Words have a power over people, regardless of whether you believe they do or not. That's why people get offended. It's not because they're "too sensitive" or "don't have a sense of humor" or whatever, it's because you are actively using hateful speech designed to hurt and demean. Even if you can chuckle at it, the fact still stands that a great many people can't and won't. Brutal Doom's been picked up by the online gaming press before; what happens when this reaches them? They, too, aren't going to find it funny. They're going to call it what it is: racist as shit. People will read it, take it at face value, and then congratulations, the game is now permanently associated with racism.

It doesn't matter that it didn't appear in the game. The douchebags who programmed Dead Island shipped the PC version with leftover code referring to a skill called "Feminist Whore" that was just for female characters. The gaming press didn't laugh at that "minor thing," either. Instead, they all called the designers shitheels for making such misogynist remarks, to the extent that the publisher had to come out and immediately apologize and state that they had no knowledge of this. What a couple of assholes in the programming department thought was a totally rad joke about "those uppity bitches who won't go down on you after you buy them a couple drinks" turned into a public relations nightmare. This is no different, apart from being on a smaller scale.

If you absolutely cannot see this as being a problem, you've got some issues with social skills that need some working out.
Springy

Post by Springy »

First the real gore stuff and now this, I am absolutely disgusted, why on earth you even thought of putting something like that as a comment? I don't even know, "joke" or not that comment shouldn't even be in there full stop.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

I've never really noticed that comment in the code until Zero brought it up. I didn't mind the "real gore" thing, but this is something else entirely. All I can say is this:

You dun goofed, Mark. :nope:

EDIT: On the other hand, I request that this part of the thread be split and locked, as to avoid leaking this news to the gaming press, like Zero had mentioned earlier.
Ghostbreed

The brutal doom racism discussion

Post by Ghostbreed »

Oh wow, really..? A lil over the top..
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

I'm sure Mark had no malicious intents with this joke, even if It was phrased with inappropriate vernaclar. You're always going to get people who are offended by things, fact of life apparently, so an apology is fine, and just simply remove the line from the code. That's it.

The gaming press does not need to be involved in this. That's just ridiculous. Moving on people...
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:First of all, I want to say sorry for anyone who got offended by this joke.
"I'm sorry if you got offended, guys! Not my fault you're all pussies!"
Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:Unlike some people were advertising it on said forums
"It's not my fault! YOU guys found it!"
Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:It was just a joke, a bad joke I must admit. Worse than the Real Gore stuff.
Which you lost all your goodwill on already.
Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:And yes, I will remove it on the upcoming version 18 that comes out next week.
Remove yourself from either this community or the entire internet. Either is good.
Blox wrote:because I like that joke
You too.
Last edited by Kinsie on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Kinsie wrote:REDACTED
That is not even remotely cool.
Last edited by Mike12 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Good point, I wasn't exactly acting with a clear head. Changed. My apologies.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Zero X. Diamond wrote:

Code: Select all

// Watch how the plasma magic can instantly turn an average white guy into a nigger faster than Rap.
// Plasma Deaths.
I actualy laughed at that, thanks for this.

Also funny how people can't take a joke around here. :lol:

Return to “General”