[ZDCMP2] RC1 released (yay, it's not mordeth'd)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Caleb13

Re: [ZDCMP2] RC1 released (yay, it's not mordeth'd)

Post by Caleb13 »

Pretty good as usual. I encountered a few minor bugs with r3982 SVN Zdoom, though:

-During the very first time I run the WAD, I encountered the grenade bug somebody mentioned earlier. But I was never able to duplicate it again, it just worked like it should afterwards. Perhaps some ACS initialization problem?

-After the generator boss died on his own, I accidentaly fell into the lava around the generator. But even though I was able to jump out onto solid ground, I still continued to burn to death. Is it supposed to work like that?

-One of the monsters (thing 2791) is stuck in a wall.

-Not sure if these are caused by SVN I'm currently using, but I encountered a few rendering problems (things visible through solid walls). See the attached screenshots. Similar problem also occurs when you look from sector 6729 towards the generator gate - you can see those black imps scurrying inside that overhead "cage".

Oh and I have a question regarding one of the secrets...
Spoiler:
Attachments
Screenshot_Doom_20130120_160654.png
Screenshot_Doom_20130120_155527.png
Screenshot_Doom_20130120_152122.png
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Caleb13 wrote:-During the very first time I run the WAD, I encountered the grenade bug somebody mentioned earlier. But I was never able to duplicate it again, it just worked like it should afterwards. Perhaps some ACS initialization problem?
As the person who initially reported the bug, I can confirm that it only fails the one time. It works as intended after that.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Caleb13 wrote: Oh and I have a question regarding one of the secrets...
Spoiler:
Basically, yes. There are a number of "signatures" left by the various mappers. I think this one is a reference to someone's personal WIP. The way to open that door is in the same room. Look more carefully.
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

Will do. In the meantime, I have two more (possible) bug reports:

-One is about the grenades again, and is actually a bit funny. I tried throwing the grenades underwater and... they ricochet off the walls like a steel ball inside a pinball machine! :P This is actually rather useful when clearing the underwater passage leading to the blue skull key, but it really doesn't look realistically... ;-)

-I tried fighting two cyberbruisers with that new superweapon (can be found behind the blue skull key door). I tried blasting them with full charges (and then also with partial charges), but it never killed them both, even though I expended all 300 "soul ammo". Are they supposed to be resistant to this weapon or something?
DominicWhite

Post by DominicWhite »

-I tried fighting two cyberbruisers with that new superweapon (can be found behind the blue skull key door). I tried blasting them with full charges (and then also with partial charges), but it never killed them both, even though I expended all 300 "soul ammo". Are they supposed to be resistant to this weapon or something?
Have you figured out the trick to using the weapon? It does little to no damage on a direct hit. Each charge past the initial 10 souls adds an orbiting ball which does constant lightning damage to the closest enemy it can see within about 50 feet. Aim it so that it'll fly for the longest distance possible while still being able to 'see' the target, and it'll melt just about anything. It's really lousy in small rooms, but outdoors (especially the final section, where you're up against an army of monsters) it's positively overpowered.

Also, reporting that on GZDoom R-1505, the final boss just explodes the moment it appears. Same with the two minibosses that it spawns before the fight.

Also, is there anywhere to actually enter the code you win from the teleporter-tower gauntlet? I was waiting for a chance to enter it somewhere, but never really saw an opportunity.
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

DominicWhite wrote:Also, reporting that on GZDoom R-1505, the final boss just explodes the moment it appears. Same with the two minibosses that it spawns before the fight.
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35272
DominicWhite wrote:Also, is there anywhere to actually enter the code you win from the teleporter-tower gauntlet? I was waiting for a chance to enter it somewhere, but never really saw an opportunity.
There's a keypad in the same room as the log which tells you about the code, which itself is slightly hidden. I won't say any more.
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

Alright, played it.

Stunning visuals, as I expected. Challenging gameplay (or it might just be my suck-ish skills, whatever).
Just one thing: I was able to one-shot the final boss with the Soulrender, and the shot wasn't even charged to the max. Intentional or not?

Good job anyway. *thumbs up*
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Remmirath wrote:Just one thing: I was able to one-shot the final boss with the Soulrender, and the shot wasn't even charged to the max.
Are you sure? He's not supposed to die from one shot by any weapon. Otherwise, he wouldn't be called the final boss. :P

There is a bug in recent ZDoom SVN build that would cause the final boss and his guardians to die as soon as they set foot in the area. Maybe that's what actually happened.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Heh, if you look at the log right at the beginning of the game, you see "CAMTEX1" as the content of the first log.

The logs in secret areas don't seem to say anything.
Estopolis

Post by Estopolis »

Just finished it, had an absolute blast from beginning to end.
The only bug I found was two green torches before the area with the first demon hand weapon was twitching up and down a bit.

I would have probably not liked the final run so much without the ultimate weapon, since that final stretch had so many of those rapid fire shadow monsters and those skeletal looking imps at the very very end.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Is there any way to cycle through acquired logs, or can you only view the latest?
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Currently just the latest. I coded the log system pretty quickly so I didn't think of a cycle mechanism at the time, but it'd be pretty simple to add in a later revision so long as folks don't mind binding two more keys for next/previous.

The decision I'd need to make is whether to sequence the logs in the order you pick them up or in some globally-defined sequence. Probably the former, I think, so it'll be easier to navigate.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Estopolis wrote:I would have probably not liked the final run so much without the ultimate weapon, since that final stretch had so many of those rapid fire shadow monsters and those skeletal looking imps at the very very end.
I made the final run without the weapon locked in the blue skull room. The Dark Claw is a nice weapon to have, don't forget about its alt. fire.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

After the final bosses unceremoniously died to the glitch, my game began to chug and stutter to the point of unplayability. A few moments later, I was apparently screaming and burning to death. I'm guessing the ending would've been intended to be a bit... better than that?
Gez

Post by Gez »

When the boss dies, the generator's platform start sinking into the lava. At the same time, falling rocks and fireballs are spawned a bit everywhere to convey the impression that the caverns are crumbling, and a bunch of dormant monsters are awakened.

The lag is crazy. What I did was using the console to freeze everything, restoring some amount of fluidity in movements. This allowed to jump on the rocky platforms below, then after reaching a safer spot and firing a couple of strategically, fully-charged superweapon shots, unfreezing was possible. A bunch of monsters died moments later, and the framerate became playable again.

Return to “Levels”