[WIP] RevoSND (sound mod)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
revo794

[WIP] RevoSND (sound mod)

Post by revo794 »

What is RevoSND? RevoSND is the sound mod for ZDoom-compatible engines, which replaces all the sounds from original Doom and Doom II, and also adds some new features. There are too many of features to list, but here are some:
Spoiler:
Screenshots: Screenshots for a sound mod? Good luck, bonehead!

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Download links:
RevoSND 1.2c

Post your suggestions!

YouTube video here soon
Last edited by revo794 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: [WIP] RevoSND (sound mod)

Post by Matt »

Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yup
Яндекс 404 Нет такой страницы

Несуществующая страница

Страница, которую вы читаете, не существует.

Верные способы попасть в никуда:

написать рудз.yandex.ru вместо help.yandex.ru (скачайте и установите Punto Switcher, если не хотите больше так ошибаться)
написать inex.html, idnex.html или index.htm вместо index.html

Если вы считаете, что мы завели вас сюда специально, опубликовав неверную ссылку, пришлите нам эту ссылку по адресу 404@yandex-team.ru.

А если вы действительно хотите что-то найти в интернете, воспользуйтесь настоящим поиском Яндекса:
revo794

Post by revo794 »

Excuse meh, look for a new link above
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

There we go...

I like the shell sound from the shotgun, though it seems a little bit too soon after the pump, like it hasn't had the time to fly over to the side wall or floor yet.

Everything sounds kind of tinny and I do not like the monster sounds at all (esp. the revenant) - they just sound like someone grunting and growling into a mic with a few distortion effects.

Rockets and plasma sound far too weak for the kind of energy you need to throw a projectile that big that far.

A lot of the sounds (revenant, mancubus, BFG) sound very tinny and staticky like they were resampled and some noise was left in or something.

The secret sound which I assume is a riff from one of the Q2 songs (disclaimer: I hate everything about the Q2 soundtrack so I am a little biased) just ends up, in light of the rest of the goings on and not in beat with any other music that might be playing, sounding like some distorted buzzing like the audio file was corrupt or something.

After the teleport, plasma, rocket and chainsaw sounds it almost feels like one of the design goals was to make the old harsh sounds soft and the other sounds harsh.

Too much of this whenever you select a weapon.

The replacement player sounds are completely inappropriate in my mind - very high-pitched and far too shouty - even the DSNOWAY grunt replacement would be what in another recent game would be an overly-shouty pain sound.

I like the BFG laugh though.

Now that I've got a bit of background music things sound a lot better, but that's like ketchup.

(Disclosure: I generally very much dislike cosmetic wads and think 99.9% of wads that add "better" sounds to Doom (unless it's to add dialogue, change things around completely or add a funny reference, e.g., Guitar Doom, "new" zombie sounds from Brutal Doom, weapon pickup in The Sky May Be) make things much worse, but I am trying to give this a fair shake)
revo794

Post by revo794 »

Vaecrius, thanks for your reply, it's useful.

I've done some work on ambients - you can only hear torches burning, but that's not all.
Also, I'm working on impact sounds (when bullet hits a thing, it emits a sound)

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”