Smart Scavenger - A Resource/Mod (V3.2 Released! 11/23/14)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
amv2k9

Smart Scavenger - A Resource/Mod (V3.2 Released! 11/23/14)

Post by amv2k9 »

Have you even come across an unavoidable large ammo or health pickup in a narrow hallway or right in front of a switch, and were forced to pick it up, even though you were only a few rounds short of maxed out, or just a tad below 100 health? Ever kicked yourself later for having done that when you came face-to-face with some mean S.O.B that wanted to eat your face off, and you just didn't have enough ammo or the health to survive the enounters after? With Smart Scavenger, those large pickups now break down into smaller pickups if you have more ammo or health than the amount that the pickup would normally refill, leaving the odd clip, handful of shells, rocket, cell or Stimpack on the ground to pick up when you need it. Smart Scavenger also comes in versions for Doom Roguelike Arsenal, Brutal Doom: Sperglord Edition, Freedoom, Heretic and Strife!

Smart Scavenger works through a combination of ACS, MAPINFO, and DECORATE:
-MAPINFO assigns a value to each skill through the ACSReturn property.
-An ACS script retrieves this value and gives a ResultValue that can be used in DECORATE expressions.
-The actors that replace the large ammo pickups check this value to determine whether the current difficulty is one with a 2x ammofactor, along with the presence or abscence of a Backpack, to aid in properly determining whether the player's ammo stores for the applicable type are depleted enough to give a large ammo pickup, and if not, drop several small ones.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Known Issues:
-In Strife, ammo you buy won't split into small ammo pickups.

Note:
Smart Scavenger will not work with the last official releases of G/ZDoom! You need a development build.

Download:
Smart Scavenger - Version 3.2
Last edited by amv2k9 on Fri May 22, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Springy

Re: Smart Scavenger- A Resource/Mod

Post by Springy »

Hmm, interesting concept. I do actually find it very annoying when you are forced to pickup an ammo box and have its full contents instead of some of it. Thanks for this.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like a really neat idea. I think we've all been in the situation that you described.

A similar thing would be nice for health. I think, even more than ammo, I've been forced to pick up a full medpack when I had something like 99 health.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Enjay wrote:I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like a really neat idea. I think we've all been in the situation that you described.

A similar thing would be nice for health. I think, even more than ammo, I've been forced to pick up a full medpack when I had something like 99 health.
I fully agree with that. I often find myself in that situation as well and it's pretty annoying. Also (but very rare situation) with powerups such as megasphere. Would be quite a nice idea if there was a mod which would not allow a powerup to be picked up if it's in use or is not necessary an example would be invulnerability.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I've been dying to see someone do this ever since the days of Immoral Conduct! This implementation seems to be pretty efficient, too.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Really nice title pic. Reminds me of an opened chest/bomb box from Spelunky.

Anyways, really good idea man, I can think of many instances where this can be used. However, does the ammo that comes out of the large ammo do a tiny little bounce like a clip dropped from a zombieman in Zdoom? I always thought that that sort of detail needed to happen more in Doom.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Lava Grunt wrote:...does the ammo that comes out of the large ammo do a tiny little bounce like a clip dropped from a zombieman in Zdoom?
The ammo dropped by enemies doesn't bounce per se, but yes, in this mod a random z velocity between 1 & 4 is applied to the ammo when it is spawned, along with random x & y velocities between -4 & 4, so that the ammos can be expected to fall somewhere apart from each other.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Seems like a cool little mod. I think Hideous Destructor does this as well, right? It's a good feature
Pisstepank

Post by Pisstepank »

Work great. Its usefull, good job !
I think you should make the empty boxes stay, instead of instantly disappear :p
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

-Ghost- wrote:Seems like a cool little mod. I think Hideous Destructor does this as well, right? It's a good feature
Only for shotgun shells (E: and medikits for next version) - everything else just spawns several small ammo pickups from the start.

Definitely considering this for the autoloads.
Last edited by Matt on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
amv2k9

Re: Smart Scavenger - A Resource/Mod (V2 Released 12/28/12)

Post by amv2k9 »

Version 2 is now up! Check the first post for the download.

Changelog:

Version 2:
-Doom's Medikit now has a Smart Scavenger equivalent; if you have over seventy-five health, it will spawn a MiniStim (+5 health), then two Stimpacks.
-Similar to the above, Chex Quest's Vegetable Bowl is now a fruit & veggie bowl; if you have more than seventy-five health, it will spawn a random fruit or veggie restoring 5 health, then two fruit bowls. The PickupMessage for the item has been changed to reflect its new usage; it wouldn't make sense to get fruit from a bowl of veggies, right?

I was going to include replacements for the Soulsphere & Megasphere in this update, but the latter is tricky; you can't just check for the player having BlueArmor or GreenArmor. If I could use ACS to check for the SavePercent rating of the player's current armor, this could work.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Excellent, health is done now. Thanks for that downloading right away.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

amv2k9 wrote:you can't just check for the player having BlueArmor or GreenArmor. If I could use ACS to check for the SavePercent rating of the player's current armor, this could work.
[wiki=GetArmorType]Yes, you can...[/wiki] :wink:
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

After playing around with this mod a good deal, I'm definitely all for making the ammo/medikits not to spawn underneath my feet. Many instances were I'm in a part where I don't want to move much and I accidently shove into medikit (occasionally an ammo box) only for me to use most/all of it up due to it being spawned underneath my feet.

Great mod though. Animations are quite nice.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Idea bump: Allow medikits to be picked up and carried around in your inventory? It would work nicely with how all the large pickups spawn opening at your feet.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”