Brutal HeXen - BETA RELEASED

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Valherran

Re: Brutal HeXen - BETA RELEASED

Post by Valherran »

Woolie Wool wrote:The crossbow also seems to pass harmlessly through enemies at times. This makes the Death Wyvern seemingly impossible to kill without cheats.
Umm, just use the Wings of Wrath and beat it to death? O.o
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:The Quietus primary wastes mana? Damn! it was not supposed to. I think I forgot to doublecheck it's code.
Oh the crossbow still is good to use after you get the alt fire because of it's accuracy. And with the other perk, the primary gets much faster.

Thanks for testing it.
Its a pleasure to watch this grow, and to take a part in it, albeit in a small way.

To be very specific on what i feel should change:

1.) crossbow needs a faster, more accurate single shot.
2.) quietus needs a brutal primary attack that one shots the weaker monsters.

finally, i feel that having the other two classes implemented would help you balance these weapons more, as weapons are balanced comparative to class rather than just "feel"

edit:

I tried out the crossbow... discovered levels. it turns into a machinegun. I really am beginning to reconsider my feelings about having the crossbow for the warrior; it feels odd somehow. i really feel like something is missing. at this point i cant think of what should happen with it. keep up the good work though, you're doing great.
Last edited by Crudux Cruo on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blox

Post by Blox »

Out of curiosity when the axe was so clunky and annoying to use, I whipped up a modification of this;
Linkety link

So what's changed here is that the raising animation post attacking is faster, there's less of a delay between attacks - the window of a second slash is pretty much as high as it can be - and holding the attack for a bit makes for a wide-angle attack.
The last part there isn't very useful, though it does do ~50% more damage.

The afrit fatality is much faster, and the ettin animation I don't really know about. (But at least it's nonlinear.)

Any comments on whether it's better or worse?
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Blox wrote:Out of curiosity when the axe was so clunky and annoying to use, I whipped up a modification of this;
Linkety link

So what's changed here is that the raising animation post attacking is faster, there's less of a delay between attacks - the window of a second slash is pretty much as high as it can be - and holding the attack for a bit makes for a wide-angle attack.
The last part there isn't very useful, though it does do ~50% more damage.

The afrit fatality is much faster, and the ettin animation I don't really know about. (But at least it's nonlinear.)

Any comments on whether it's better or worse?
I just tried your version, yeah the axe combat is a lot smoother. It ends up being a lot more of a bloodbath once you get into close quarters range, in a good way. :P You can still mess up the combo or do individual strikes if you want, but it brought my combo-ing up from like 40% of the time to 90%.
Last edited by -Ghost- on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blox

Post by Blox »

Missing the combo is stupid hard, yeah. (And to add to it, it's not as punishing as before) But at least I'm not getting beaten up badly by a couple of ettins just by playing aggressively. :P
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, it means you can really get in there and start ripping things up. Is there any way currently to see how much armor I have? The pickups seem a little confusing.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Even combos aside I feel like the sped-up axe raising was a huge improvement - I no longer feel this weird disorienting psychological disconnect between the attack button and the attack. :shock:

EDIT: Just like to say fwiw that the monsters right now are near perfect, my only gripes have been with the weapon input.
Blox

Post by Blox »

Yeah okay, I'm actually enjoying Hexen with my modification of this (haven't gotten past the entry of the seven portals without).
That's right, whoah.

And yeah, it should be obvious by what I did that the thing that I'm not satisfied with this is how clunky and unresponsive the axe was before.
Edit: Tip: Kill wendigo(e?)s with the crossbow for profit. (As in not getting blasted in the face for ~50 hp)

EditEdit: Did I mention that levelling up is just a tad slow? I'm up to 150k (that's an awfully high bodycount) score and I'm still level 2.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I think it's every 10k, isn't it? I'm level 4 and a little bit into the shadow woods now.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Blox wrote:Yeah okay, I'm actually enjoying Hexen with my modification of this (haven't gotten past the entry of the seven portals without).
That's right, whoah.
I don't get it why (some) people are making a big deal out of Seven Portals. It's like the bane of their existance. :? There is nothing "unearthly" and beyond human understanding about them. It's just (a some what confusing) switch hunt, and not even a real puzzle.

I'm amazed at how that particular map/hub made some of you just give up that easily on the game!
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

I'm having trouble downloading the link.

Also, it's not seven portals that makes me puke anymore, it's the next set of hub levels. I'm completely lost there, and kinda always was.

Edit: downloaded, checked, and better, but....

I just opened the source and my god the flechette is unresponsive. You could be caught for up to half a second waiting for it to throw.
Last edited by DoomRater on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blox

Post by Blox »

Which one of them?

And if for some reason someone can't grab the original beta off mediafire, Here's a DropFucks link.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Sory my edit took forever, was double checking my own suggested changes really quick to make sure I didn't break anything.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2129633/Brutal ... Mod_DR.pk3

This has Blox's wide attack in it, but...
-Ready code rewritten so that flechette is WAY more responsive, though I likely screwed up the frame display
-altfire shield bashes while holding fire protects with the shield while you're charging up
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

Nice changes Blox and DoomRater. I'm thinking about inserting your modifications to the official version :D

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”