Supplice - Out now on Steam!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mechadon

Supplice - Out now on Steam!

Post by Mechadon »

Supplice is a brand-new FPS game being created for GZDoom. It is heavily inspired by Doom and other retro first person shooters from that era.

For those unaware, Supplice started out life as a Boom-compatible Doom project sometime in 2009. Since then it has changed forms many times, from a simple megawad projects, to a total conversion, and finally to a fully-fledged original game.

We're on Steam now! Head on over and add it to your wish-list, it would really help us out :D

You can also check us out on our Twitter and Facebook pages.

Here's what's planned so far:
  • A full-length campaign split into 6 distinct episodes, each representing a different setting and theme. Every map will be filled with things to kill, hazards to avoid, items to grab, and secrets to find.
  • An original story told through gameplay, environmental set-pieces, intermission animations, and secret terminals.
  • An arsenal of 10 new, highly destructive weapons, brought to you by PillowBlaster. Each weapon has primary and alternate firing modes.
  • Tons of items, power-ups, and gadgets to aid you in combat.
  • A legion of biomechanical beasts, grotesque creatures, and ethereal nightmares that you'll have to contend with.
  • A beautiful new set of artwork that will paint the entire game, courtesy of Cage.
  • An original soundtrack crafted by Jimmy, with a special arranged version produced by esselfortium.
  • A vibrant soundscape crafted by Bouncy, allowing us to bring maps to life with ambient effects, powerful weaponry, and otherworldly abominations.
  • Possible extra features
    • A modding resource pack that will contain all of the assets that you need to make your own maps and mods.
    • An extra 2 episodes, planned as DLC, if things go well. This would likely include 1 new weapon, new monsters, and maybe a few extras.
    • Extra game modes, such as Deathmatch, could be possible at a later date.
Dev Team:
  • Mechadon: Project leader/organizer, mapper, and I've done a bit of graphic and coding work too.
  • Cage: Main graphic and sprite artist. He's also helping out with project planning, running social media, and is tackling the business-side of things.
  • Jimmy: Musical wizard, mapper, and helpful person/good friend. He’s been with the project since the beginning.
  • esselfortium: Another super talented musician, she's working with Jimmy to create the arranged version of the soundtrack.
  • Pillowblaster: DECORATE and coding maestro, responsible for making things go BOOM!
  • Bouncy: Sound effects craftsmen, he has also contributed a lot to the story and lore of the world in Supplice.
  • Xaser: Resident GZDoom expert and all-around extra helpful guy.
Screenshots:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

An album of older screenshots can be found HERE!

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave a post!
Last edited by Mechadon on Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:47 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Springy

Re: [WIP] Supplice

Post by Springy »

Good to see this still being worked on, amazing shots as always Mech. If you need help with testing in the future I can if you want.
Nightfall

Post by Nightfall »

I really dig how that blue looks. The textures look amazing and the architechture is the usual brilliance. :)
Blox

Post by Blox »

stop hacking god damn it
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Thanks for the positive comments guys :D. I would have had this out much earlier than this, but I went sort of crazy on my concept map. It's not entirely my fault though, Cage's textures were too much fun to work with.

@Springy: I will definitely keep you in mind for testing! Hopefully we'll start some mapping soon.

@Nightfall: Glad you like the blues, that was the first range I edited when tweaking the palette. I was shooting for Quake-style blues and I guess it's pretty close. We've got new greens, more yellows to work with, and a bunch of other palette changes to make everything look just a bit more colorful but contrasted.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Oooh, very nice looking. Very nice indeed. :yup:
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

This is beautiful! Cage's work on the weapon sprite is especially amazing (is it animated yet? I drool at the possibility!).
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Yup, it's animated and pretty much complete at this point. I'm not sure if he is going to edit it further but I'm really happy with it as it is. I can't wait to see how he does the rest of the weapons :)

By the way, that weapon is a faster firing rifle which replaces the Pistol. It behaves more like a slower firing Chaingun.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Seriously cool bears :)

The texture set looks really yummy, and for example maps these look pretty involved!

A couple things that stood out to me as odd:
- The grass should probably just be using the desaturated greens, as the bright teal highlights look rather unnatural and "lol paletted graphics"
- With all the custom textures you have in this, I was really surprised to see the IWAD-stock UAC shawn texture :P
- The colormapping seems off in some textures, like the orange pixels here. I'm assuming you guys did something similar to BTSX's palette/colormap to make stuff like lava and orange lights fade more seamlessly in the dark, but as a side effect of it, orange on regular walls and stuff ends up glowing in rather glitchy-looking ways. Might have to color-remap those textures to switch the oranges for similar tans.

Also, I have no idea if you have room in the palette for it, but some sort of orangey-magenta range could complement the teal greens really well, a la Retroblazer. I kept expecting to see something like it in there :P
Nash

Post by Nash »

I'd forgotten how beautiful maps in the software renderer can look. :') Ten thumbs up! Awesome stuff! Can't wait to play these maps.
Estopolis

Post by Estopolis »

Great screenshots and amazing spritework.

Will all weapons end up with new sprites or just the tweaked ones?
Either way, looking forward to this.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

mmm...cyan...
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

The blues are a good break from the browns and greens.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Holy shit, this is amazing. Where did this project come from?

Pre-posting in the 2013 Cacowards thread.
Nightfall

Post by Nightfall »

Mechadon wrote:Although unbeknownst to you, it is already far, far too late.
I just thought... how is it unbeknownst to me that it's too late if you're telling it to me right here in this thread? o_O

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”