Get ready for the ARMAGEDOOM!!!

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Get ready for the ARMAGEDOOM!!!

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

In first place, NO, this wad has nothing to do with Lord Mattus' ArmageDoom project. When I decided the name for this wad, I was still not active in the Doom modding community, and I didn't even knew about this project.

Well, everyone has to start somewhere (doesn't matter how low the starting point is), and here is where I started.
Back in 2009, instead learning how to map first, I decided to start with a big project. ArmageDoom was supposed to be the ultimate badass wad for Zdoom. It should be a 32 level megawad featuring epic combats with allied Marines supporting you, driveable Mechwarriors, Nuclear explosions, absurd epicness, over-the-top gore, over 30 new weapons and over 100 new enemies, and any other ridiculous gimmicky feature that I could put on it. I think that was too much to expect from a first wad, wasn't it? :P

Brutal Doom was born just as a "testing ground for gore and general sfx" to improve this wad. When Brutal Doom started to gain notoriety in early 2010, I just dropped out this project.
Two weeks ago, I found this old wad rusting on my projects folder. I decided to give it a try just to see how bad were my mapping skills 3 years ago, and I found it actually funny. So I decided to polish the gore and the weapons, and make something worth to play. I actually liked the results. This is my very first wad and I can't be ashamed of it. The starting street sector which you starts on was the first sector that I ever drawed in Doom Builder, so, this wad should totally see the light of day.
I still have plants to restart this project using Brutal Doom as base some day...

ARMAGEDOOM is a partial TC for Zdoom, GZdoom, Skulltag, or Zandronum.
It features 7 new levels, 12 new weapons, many new enemies (with older ones revamped), new gore, and many new stuff.

PLOT:
ArmageDoom is a sequel to Doom 2's plot.
Years after the invasion, demons continued to invade Earth. The surviving men from all parts of the world regrouped at the west coast of North America, somewhere near the desert of Mojave, and constructed a giant Fortress City called Metropolis.
Metropolis was built with a giant force-field protecting it. The ultimate hope of survival for humanity. UAC Marines could start a campaign to clean Earth's surface killing all demons while they could maintain a safehouse that would always be protected against anything.
But plans went not like expected. A new force powered by a greater evil never seen before created new portals, which allowed the creation of new portals, with new races of hellspawn. One of these portals opened behind Metropolis' Force Field. The demons have overrun the Nuclear Power Plant, and disabled the force-field. Metropolis have been facing a great siege that have been lasting for months. The defenses at the suburbs have fallen, and now the demons are marching towards the Downtown. The civilians have no way to evacuate, and humanity again faces its Last Stand.

You are Sergeant Stan "Sarge" Blazckowicz, a genetically-engineered Super Marine. Sarge was from the first generation of Super Marines: more powerful than any other kind of marine, but with grievous mental disorders. Sarge has incomparable strength and endurance, but he suffers from DNA degeneration. He is a heroine addict, and he constantly have strong headaches and hear voices in his head, and have been in jail for the last 2 years accused of murdering Marines and civilians. Now with the war begin lost, the Marine High Command have released him.
Sarge is the only marine badass enough to do such mission: break the siege, get into the Nuclear Power Plant, and turn the shields on again.

Captain Phobos and Lieutenant Crash, which are super marines from the Second Generation were assigned to the mission with Sarge with a couple of other Marines and formed the Bravo Squad. They were supposed to help Sarge to reach the Power Plant, but the group got ambushed in the streets of Downtown, and now they are separated. Your mission: regroup with Bravo Team, move into the Power Plant, and turn the shields on again.

GAMEPLAY:
You will constantly find yourself fighting against large clusters of monsters in ArmageDoom. You have very powerfull weapons like a full-auto assault rifle as starting weapon, and you might find semi-auto and full-auto shotguns, miniguns, heavy .50 cal machineguns, flamethrowers, and even nuclear weapons.
The most notable feature in ArmageDoom is the emergent gameplay. Most objects of the world can be used as weapons. Trash cans, flower pots, and even toilets can be used as weapons. Get near one of such objects, select the Fists, and punch these objects. You can do serious damage with them. You can easily kill a Demon with a trash can, and if you find a big enough flowerpot, you can even kill a Baron of Hell with it.
Theres also a very complex fire system. If you use the flamethrower or the incendiary grenade in an area with a high vegetation, the fire will spread, and set near trees and other near areas with high grass on fire. You can easily create some huge area-of-denial damage zones if you analyze the maps and use the right weapons in the right time.
Also, If you are playing coop, one player can crouch and make a step for another player to get into a higher place to grab a super armor or a megasphere.

Shit Got Serious... in the literal mean of the word.

OVERALL:
If you are looking into a top-quality wad, you should skip ArmageDoom. This was my first wad ever made. You can expect lots of unaligned textures and stuff like that. But you can also expect lots of fun, some epic battles here and there, some linear maps, some non-linear maps with puzzles, etc. The only thing I can guarantee is one thing: This is going to be a funny and different experience.

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ftz21fs5d2922y2
or
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16930

SCREENSHOTS:

I hope you can have as much fun playing it as I had creating it.
Last edited by Sergeant_Mark_IV on Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Zombieguy

Re: Get ready for the ARMAGEDOOM!!!

Post by Zombieguy »

This looks interesting. I'll be watching this!
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Huh, I think I recognize this. Didn't you release a beta on the Skulltag forums long ago?

I vaguely remember the places in the first two screenshots...though if this was a first wad, it probably wasn't this. It might be, though, if the second level is a sewer level of sorts.
Sergeant_Mark_IV

XutaWoo wrote:Huh, I think I recognize this. Didn't you release a beta on the Skulltag forums long ago?

I vaguely remember the places in the first two screenshots...though if this was a first wad, it probably wasn't this. It might be, though, if the second level is a sewer level of sorts.
Yeah, and it got heavily bashed by the largets part of the community.
But I improved the gameplay of this mod a lot. MAP02, the sewer level in special, is much less complicated now.

And yes, this is a first wad. The street sector which you start is the first sector that I ever drawn in Doom Builder.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Oh, then this might've been it, actually! I remember enjoying the first level because there was some actually pretty interesting building designs, iirc.

Then I died in the middle of the sewer and forgot to save at any point in time and tossed my computer out the window in frustration.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:Image
Alright, I gotta ask... is this at all related to the Bunkers map from the Infiltration UT mod?
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

I took a spin, and gotta say, I like this. Maps look good, though, there are some missing textures and small design flaws, noted especially in map 3. Weapons are quite good, packing punch and all.
And gotta love the ability to throw stuff at enemies. Too bad that I was pumped up with ammo.

Heh, if you could do next episode... :P
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

Now this ought to be w/ the other doom titles.
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Vaecrius wrote:Alright, I gotta ask... is this at all related to the Bunkers map from the Infiltration UT mod?
Huh, nope.

CorSair wrote:I took a spin, and gotta say, I like this. Maps look good, though, there are some missing textures and small design flaws, noted especially in map 3. Weapons are quite good, packing punch and all.
And gotta love the ability to throw stuff at enemies. Too bad that I was pumped up with ammo.

Heh, if you could do next episode... :P
Yeah, I was playing Multiplayer today, and I got irritated how some people were able spam nukes. I think I placed way too much ammo.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Despite even Mark says it is not a "top quality" wad, Armagedoom was always one of my favorite mods. Mainly because of the feeling of the city falling down and burning around you, the battles with allies marines, the good choice of sounds, the fast (but not unfair) gameplay, the more aggressive monsters, the "blue rain" of the gibbed cacodemons, the new stuff that just improves the game and the creation of a really credible scenario, I mean, cities that I could look at it and believe that it is a real place, not just another 'abstract' UAC base.

If there is a new version of it, hell, I want it.
mckracken

Post by mckracken »

just discovered this and WOW, its great! So much potential. You shoud finish it, proper!

2 things:
the music sucks.
why is there no dynamic light from the monsters? (projectiles) please update from the Brutal Doom effects!!!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

No. Not everything needs Brutal Doom in it!
mckracken

Post by mckracken »

Well it would be an improvement and be rather quick to implement. The flat effects here are just not worthy of the action.
Last edited by mckracken on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Well, yes, but BD started as a test for Armagedoom effects :)

___

@Mark: The red key at the second map, I still can't get it D:
BTW, just loved the new Weapon damage/Monster health balance.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

wildweasel wrote:No. Not everything needs Brutal Doom in it!
I agree. Brutal Doom is great. But just think about how horrible it would be if every single mod absolutely had to have Brutal Doom effects included.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”