Suspended in Dusk crate glitch

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Gez

Suspended in Dusk crate glitch

Post by Gez »

The suspended crate at the beginning of the monster-infested area of MAP01 in SID glitches since ZDoom 2.6.0. It used to work fine from 2.0.97 to 2.5.0 (I haven't tested older versions).
How it used to work:
How it looks now:
randi
Site Admin

Re: Suspended in Dusk crate glitch

Post by randi »

It looks fine to me:
問題無い.png
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'm fairly sure that this crate has always been a little glitchy and not just in ZDoom. I think I even remember it being mentioned over at Doomworld back when it was first released.
Gez

Post by Gez »

It's glitchy with hardware renderers, certainly. But ZDoom ought to handle it fine. And it even look fine when viewed from the floor, it's only when up on the platform that the glitch appears.

Replicating Randy's screenshot (position, screen size, angle and pitch) as closely as possible, I still get the glitch. Which is odd. Software renderers ought to render stuff identically.
japanesewordforproblem.png
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Something has certainly changed as far as ZDoom is concerned right enough. I don't get the glitch with the official version but I too get it with the SVN build.

As an aside, interestingly on the hardware renderer side of things, Graham Jackson has obviously done a bit of dark magic to get this to work in Risen3D...
Spoiler:
I know that Graham spent a bit of time trying to get SiD working well. I haven't checked out the other potentially problematic areas recently though.

It's also interesting that the glitch seen in GZDoom looks very similar to the one that has appeared in ZDoom.
Lars2500

Post by Lars2500 »

It does not glitch for me either. Latest SVNs of ZDoom and GZDoom in software mode render it perfectly fine. GZDoom in hardware mode however glitches for me as well.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Curious. I've cycled through the display options, tried windowed and full screen and a range of video modes. I could not get the glitch to disappear.
Lars2500

Post by Lars2500 »

I can make the glitch appear and disappear by enabling/disabling the textured automap and restarting the level. Though it is a mystery to me why automap texturing would affect level rendering? :o
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The textured automap requires GL nodes. Apparently this effect depends on the original nodes in the level. Ugh...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yup, disabling the textured automap and restarting removes the glitch for me and then re-enabling it and starting again brings the glitch back.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Then it could be fixed by using the original nodes for software rendering and the GL nodes for the automap, maybe?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No. The automap's function depends on the same nodes being used for rendering. What do you think it gets the info which subsectors are supposed to be visible from?

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”