After the Holocaust - Final Version

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

After the Holocaust - Final Version

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16981

This is a remake of Downtown, the 13rd level of Doom 2. I think Downtown is supposed to be the climax of Doom 2. You finally reach an urban area looking for an Evac, survivors, or something like that, but you find yourself alone in a cold, depressing, and desolate place with a horrible smell of death. You see bodies hanging on light posts like trophies. It's the end of humankind. Your friends, your family, everyone is dead! And now only hellspawn walks over earth. They are hungry, and they want you! Now you finally know the mean of the word "Doom". I think Downtown is where the game really starts.

I ever wanted to see a modern remake of this level for Zdoom. For this map, I decided to use some concept ideas from games like Fallout 3, Resident Evil 2, and others.
The map is huge and completely non-linear. The player is free to explore the city, find supplies, and make many strategies to engage the monsters in different ways. The map yet keeps a key positioning that resembles the routes of the original map.

The map makes heavy use of 3D floors, but if you are a Software render user, don't worry, I haven't added any Slopped 3D floors. You will able to see all 3D floors if you are using the latest version of ZDoom, or Zandronum's Software renderer.
Last edited by Sergeant_Mark_IV on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:35 am, edited 7 times in total.
bleant

Re: Post-Apocalyptic City WIP - Doom 2 MAP 12 Remake

Post by bleant »

Now THAT is a truly badass urban map, just looking at it makes me want to shoot something, and in the good way.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

I'm guessing you made liberal use of 3D floors.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

I love to see the way teh new ArmageDoom is probably going to be!

Hey, if people was killed and there are still flames and recent damage, we'd see more blood and corpses on the streets. It looks like most of the people was able to scape the nightmare. Maybe could be a good thing to collect many sprites of corpses of people with different clothes, and maybe dogs, kids, etc.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Well this looks metal as fuck. Looks like it'd be great fun with WW Terrorists mod, too. :D

That much said, the sky looks more overcast than smoke-clogged to me. Maybe make it darker?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I like what I'm seeing. I love urban maps of all kinds and this looks pretty intense.
Piter432

Post by Piter432 »

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:I'm doing a simple Doom 2 MAP12 remake.
Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:I think Downtown is supposed to be the climax of Doom 2.
MAP12 is called "The Factory" not "Downtown".

@Edit
Nice map details. Keep this good work :thumb:
Nash

Post by Nash »

The cartoony Action Doom assets clash horribly with the stock Doom stuff.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

I've never really enjoyed Downtown too much. I'll keep an eye on this anyway.
Bitterman

Post by Bitterman »

You should try to make an official Brutal Doom Map-pak.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

I don't think that Action Doom 2 assets fuse well with base Doom 2 ones, but that map still looks awesome.
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

Are you remaking doom 2 completely or are you remaking the level itself
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

I love the idea of this! Also, if you want, you can borrow my "Hell on Earth" assets, since that's still on hiatus for a while (and i can probably grab and/or make some new resources).
Just let me know and I'll send them to you.
Ravick wrote:I love to see the way teh new ArmageDoom is probably going to be!

Hey, if people was killed and there are still flames and recent damage, we'd see more blood and corpses on the streets. It looks like most of the people was able to scape the nightmare. Maybe could be a good thing to collect many sprites of corpses of people with different clothes, and maybe dogs, kids, etc.
Could definitely help out there too, i've modified and made a whole bunch of different corpse sprites before.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Re: Post-Apocalyptic City WIP - Doom 2 MAP 13 Remake

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

I have remade the towers using SUPPORT2 as base, and its looking much better. I also removed the black outlines around AD2's junk sprites, and it seems to be a bit better now.

@TTT, I am remaking this map, and maybe MAP16 too.

@Mike, yeah, could you help me with resources?
Xaser

Re: Post-Apocalyptic City WIP - Doom 2 MAP 13 Remake

Post by Xaser »

Hmm, the design's not too bad and I like the level of destruction, but the lighting is extremely static right now. I think it's mostly because it looks like you're using evenlighting, which is super-icky. I'd recommend smoothlighting instead, that way you get fake contrast without it seeming so random.

[EDIT] Upon looking at the second screen, it does indeed look like I'm seeing fake contrast. If you've re-enabled it, then kudos to you. :P

Return to “Levels”