Rain

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
el zee

Rain

Post by el zee »

5hfifty and I have decided to release a WAD that we've been working on for a long time, which probably would have been our magnum opus - "RAIN".

This is an unfinished wad that has been developed over many years. Conceptualized by 5hfifty in mid 2004. He was working on it by himself for a few years, and I did a few tidbits, but then started working on it for a great deal after the ROTT TC was released. I also got back into my Amulets and Armor TC, as well, but I won't release that as it's just a massive bugfest. Unless some of you really really want to see it.

We are unfortunately unable to continue with this project, as we have moved on to proper game dev (!!). My hope is eventually to make it into a full game, using a modern engine. You can use resources out of this, just don't try adding on/continuing this mod. Please.

The main focus of this mod was atmosphere - and it has it in spades and shovels. and rakes. and other various gardening equipment. Please note the AWESOME features that we added:

AWESOME Lightning!!!!
AWESOME Lighting, flickers on and off dynamically.
AWESOME Doors, 3d poly "glass" doors.
AWESOME 3d train bridge.
AWESOME Sounds.
AWESOME various neat little things.

Download here

This is for Zdoom specifically, some things won't look right with Gzdoom.
You'll need to warp/cheat to maps 2 & 3. All the maps are unfinished.

Map 01 is TOWER 15, you are some sort of repair guy and head back inside, storms' a brewin.
Spoiler:
Map 02 was going to be a hydro dam.
Spoiler:
Map 03 is the research/office/labs set on the top of the mountain, you can see TOWER 15 from the windows.
Spoiler:

Lots more screenies here

I hope you enjoy playing this, although brief it always feels great to be in the 'rain world'.

Try and find all the tributes / easter eggs :)
Last edited by el zee on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nash

Re: Rain

Post by Nash »

Where's the download link?
TheShadsy

Post by TheShadsy »

As a fan of brooding and moody games, I am intrigued. Do throw up a download link!
Springy

Post by Springy »

I remember the first time this was on WIP. Glad to see it's still being worked on. Can't wait for it to be fully released.
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Springy wrote:I remember the first time this was on WIP. Glad to see it's still being worked on. Can't wait for it to be fully released.
el zee wrote:We are unfortunately unable to continue with this project, as we have moved on to proper game dev (!!). My hope is eventually to make it into a full game, using a modern engine.
Nope.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Captain Ventris wrote:
Springy wrote:I remember the first time this was on WIP. Glad to see it's still being worked on. Can't wait for it to be fully released.
el zee wrote:We are unfortunately unable to continue with this project, as we have moved on to proper game dev (!!). My hope is eventually to make it into a full game, using a modern engine.
Nope.
Damn, curse my excitement and inability to read a post due to it. :|
el zee

Post by el zee »

Nash wrote:Where's the download link?
Whoops! Added.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

el zee wrote: Unless some of you really really want to see it.
L231 could make a nice reelism map with a bit more added nonlinearity (concerning the dungeon below and the outside area, as well as exiting through some of the windows)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Very atmospheric, great level design, it's good to see what you've managed to achieved visually with the software renderer. Just 2 things...

- High res smallfont replacement doesn't honour text scaling (con_scaletext). Had to temporarily set mine back to 0 to see the font properly at 1920 x 1200.
- Being the software renderer, and at this resolution, there were performance issues.

Though this may not entirely be your fault, just mentioning the issues that arise from my system (and before anyone says it; it's my monitor's native resolution). I wouldn't have minded bumping the res down if this were a complete project with a longer playtime...

... which leads me to my next point. Too bad this is being discontinued. :( I would have loved to see what it could have been, but this is still an impressive eyecandy tour, nonetheless. Good luck with your future game project!
el zee

Post by el zee »

We probably would have made it GZdoom compatible because of the slowdowns, and probably made a default config thing like with the ROTT TC, so that the fonts looked ok. This is kinda like a beta or whatever so it's not going to be perfect.

As a side note: it's quite strange but I've always preferred the look of the software renderer over GZdoom, I think even though the lighting is 'stepped' it kinda creates a neat effect.

Anyways like I said before it's a long term goal to make this into a proper game, we'd probably try and figure out more cool locations and stuff. I had an idea of making it like an adventure game, but in 3d - sorta like 'dear esther' but with interactive stuff. It would be a cool challenge to have make it actually fun, we also had the idea of making it a FPS/RPG among other things...
Nash

Post by Nash »

I understand; there is a certain "grit" to the software renderer that the OpenGL renderer just cannot replicate. Similar reason to why some games look good in 320x200 despite being horribly low res.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

It's... it's beautiful.

Excuse me while I go and weep softly to myself.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Wow! This is exactly the kind of WAD that I love - the setting, the atmosphere, everything. It's a real shame it isn't going any further.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Too bad this isn't ever going to be completed. I could see the two somewhat-complete levels used for a sort of adventuring game, where you solve puzzles instead of fighting monsters. Like a techier Myst.

I visited all three maps in ZDoom, and then map 1 and 3 in GZDoom and didn't notice anything looking bad.
janiform

Post by janiform »

The atmosphere is wonderful, as is the wilderness seen through the windows. I hope you finish this game in some form.

Return of the Triad is one of the best things ever done with Doom, IMO. I'd like to see the Amulets & Armor TC too, however buggy it may be.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”