Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (v1.4 10/23/2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain Ventris

Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (v1.4 10/23/2021)

Post by Captain Ventris »

Note: Trailer footage is super out of date.

Doomvengers is a shooty, stompy, crazy chaotic mess that's a blast in SP but is also geared towards effective Co-Op play (designed with a max of 8 players in mind, though it will work regardless). Each player class (used with necessary permissions from awesome gameplay mods put out by the community) has its own playstyle and rules, but is balanced out with the other classes. Doomvengers seeks to preserve the relative gameplay balance of your favorite levels (i.e. the parts you dread in Scythe 2 will be dreaded just as much) as well as providing options for customizing your experience, from a more traditional blastfest with the various classes to having more enemies than you can shake a stick at, and crazy bosses out for your blood!
The central balancing factors around which the varied arsenals in Doomvengers are generally based are Ammo-Efficiency and Time-Efficiency. Sometimes, a weapon that may be less ammo-efficient can save your butt by getting its job done faster, and other times you need to use an ammo-efficient weapon to ensure you've got enough bullets for later. Some weapons are best against bosses, others rely too much on AOE to do much against them, etc. Each and every weapon is intended to have a distinct use-case such that old weapons are not outmoded by new ones - there will ALWAYS be a reason to use each weapon, though the divide between usage cases varies a great deal between the classes. Each class is also intended to play quite differently, such that you will almost certainly discover a favorite.

I'm sure this sounds like a lot, but it really isn't - you can just jump in and start feeling things out for yourself easily enough with most classes (Possesso and Super Chicken definitely have a learning curve), and for the rest there's a big, detailed manual to help you along!

Possess Me by Aluqah is included in the download with minor modifications for neatness' sake.

With Xaser's permission, the necessary files for Zharkov Goes to the Store are included, but for good form, here is the original. Same with Style Mod, with WildWeasel's permission. Necrodoom and Parkour Mod are packaged with the Doomvenger Core files with Xaser's permission (Parkour Mod is entirely integrated with permission into Doomvengers). Super Chicken has been integrated into the main files (again with permission from the author), so you don't need to download it, but here it is if you're feeling feisty: Super Chicken.

The Load Order for the mod is: the mapset you're using, Necrodoom, Possess Me, Doomvengers.pk3, The two modules according to their numbers, then a compatibility patch if necessary.

Also note that ice-based attacks can cause an enemy to be slowed for a time, signaled by frosty vapors. Fiery enemies may be immune to slowing but take increased ice damage. Stronger enemies are more difficult to slow. Electric attacks can stun, signaled by exclamation marks. Again, stronger foes are harder to stun, though Cyborg enemies are more vulnerable to this than others.

Now, who are the Doomvengers?
Spoiler:
Downloads
Doomvengers Complete Version 1.4 (8/7/20)(Core file, Necrodoom, and Possess Me)
Download Hither

Doomvengers Manual: Last Updated 12/30/19
Download Hither!
Contains all gameplay info, how to run Doomvengers, and Credits.

Modules and Options
Spoiler:
Compatibility Patches
Spoiler:
Be sure to run Doomvengers on the latest stable version of ZDoom or GZDoom!

Additional Credits:
-Mor'Ladim for Swarmer
-DavidRaven for Airstrike Marker
-Salahmander for the Chaos Sphere
-Captain Toenail for the Giant Bat
-Doomedarchviledemon for the Devil Worms
Last edited by Captain Ventris on Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 85 times in total.
HexaDoken

Re: Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes

Post by HexaDoken »

I request adding Zharkov to the roster.
Captain Ventris

Oh shooooot, son! Knew I was forgetting someone!

...there's gonna be a lot of Xaser classes in this, huh?
Gothic

Post by Gothic »

what about "the Ranger" by Terminus? :D
Captain Ventris

I'm gonna be wanting an inherent ridiculousness for classes to add, such as the Necrosuit's car-alarm beeper and general over-heavy-metalness (as a bottom line). Seriously, it's tooooo much! Also a definite change in gameplay style should be present.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

If you're going to be adding Stylemod Guy to this mod, you might want to toss some of the cheesier stuff - like replace the Stylish Shades item with an actual sprite instead of leaving it as the hacky Textures thing.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

What about Othal and Ezhek? :P
Captain Ventris

wildweasel wrote:If you're going to be adding Stylemod Guy to this mod, you might want to toss some of the cheesier stuff - like replace the Stylish Shades item with an actual sprite instead of leaving it as the hacky Textures thing.
Pffffft those shades are the BEST...I'll do it if someone knows where to find a sprite of some sunglasses. :P

I do like the weapons and such, though. It's got... STYLE.

Might use Psyguy as the skin for Style Guy if Xaser lets me.
Jimmy wrote:What about Othal and Ezhek? :P
I thought about it, but they are so frikkin' complicated that it would be weird to put them in there with the others, who are relatively plug-and-play. It's a whole leveling system that's just way out of the mindless dakka festival that I want this to be. For the same reason I won't be adding Psychic.

I AM considering adding in Aluqah's "Possess Me", though. Could be fun to have along with the others, and definitely a departure from normal gameplay. In co-op, he could be a good friend to have. "You go in first, you have an extra face."
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Captain Ventris wrote:Might use Psyguy as the skin for Style Guy if Xaser lets me.
Maybe the "Weasel" skin in ww-nazis would be preferable...though it kind of sucks a bit, you might want to fix it up. =P
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Captain Ventris wrote:
wildweasel wrote:If you're going to be adding Stylemod Guy to this mod, you might want to toss some of the cheesier stuff - like replace the Stylish Shades item with an actual sprite instead of leaving it as the hacky Textures thing.
Pffffft those shades are the BEST...I'll do it if someone knows where to find a sprite of some sunglasses. :P
Duke Nukem 2 had a pair of shades as a points item. Having just looked at the sprite, though, it might be a little bit unsuitable for use in a Doom mod.
Captain Ventris

wildweasel wrote:
Captain Ventris wrote:Might use Psyguy as the skin for Style Guy if Xaser lets me.
Maybe the "Weasel" skin in ww-nazis would be preferable...though it kind of sucks a bit, you might want to fix it up. =P
Well that works. Now I need a skin for the Parkour Guy. Zharkov has a custom skin, and he's crazy enough to THINK he's wearing armor, so that works.

The inclusion of Zharkov sort of makes this whole mod some sick version of St. Elsewhere, doesn't it? :P
Captain Ventris

Re: Doomvengers: Earth's Weirdest Heroes (v0.15)

Version 0.15 is now out, and introduces Style Guy. Sprite set pending, particularly since it isn't recolorable. Get it from the first post, like before.
Spoiler: Changelog
Nash

Post by Nash »

I would have loved to see PsyGirl in here, though I understand that this is just technically difficult...
Captain Ventris

Oh, with enough patience/bugging DavidPH, I could do it, but I already stated my reasons for not including Psychic a couple posts above. An Omega/Psychic semi-RPG Superpack would be interesting, haha
Sgt Dopey
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Sgt Dopey »

I'm getting this error on start up:
Script error, "Doomvengers.wad:NECROATE" line 7:
Replaced type 'NecroPlayer' not found in NewNecroPlayer

I am using GZDoom revision 1415

Return to “Gameplay Mods”