Brutal doom.

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Skoochie

Brutal doom.

Post by Skoochie »

How do you install the brutal doom mod in ZDoom? I have it on mac.
Help please :3:
TerminusEst13

Re: Brutal doom.

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Should be as simple as taking the .wad or .pk3 file and dragging it on top of the ZDoom.exe file, then letting it run.

At least, for Windows. I'm not sure if it's the same for a Mac.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Sadly, I do not think the Mac port supports that kind of drag and drop...
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

This is why I hope some friendly Doomer with a Mac and some spare time starts uploading qZDL builds for that platform.
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

Use shortcuts to help auto-load a bit faster. I think this is useful when you have a folder full of mods and you don't want to scroll (for the sake of process enchancement).

I have to be a corporate drone and say, "hahaha, Windows only". In a more serious note, use open-source stuff or even virtualized OS environments. An modified open-source Apple will also do.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

...what?

If you're saying "Use Linux", then I don't think that would help him with making loading mods easier. It'd be much the same process of using the Terminal etc. since OSX ZDoom uses a Unix binary. You sound like you don't have an actual clue about the OS in question and are just threadshitting.

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION SKOOTCHIE, the Wiki has something to start you off. I can't remember whether you need to move the Brutal Doom PK3 into the same folder as the "zdoom" binary, but trial and error should prevail.
Cheesegod

Post by Cheesegod »

Ok, I registered to help out fellow Mac Doom fan with some advice that isn't "install linux". It's actually super easy, and the Wiki is hella confusing. You don't really need to use terminal at all.

I'm using Lion so your mileage may vary. I'm also going to assume you can play ZDoom normally just fine.

You SHOULD be able to just double click the .pk3 file and it will open with ZDoom.

If that doesn't work, try putting the .pk3 in (your name)/Library/Application Support/ZDoom and double clicking it again.

If you're on Lion you Library folder is going to be hidden by default. You can either:
- While in your Home directory in Finder, hit Go -> Go To Folder -> and then type Library and hit OK
- You can also go into Terminal and paste in "chflags nohidden ~/Library" without the quotes to unhide Library

If you're trying to make it so that the game launches Brutal Doom as the base wad, so that other wads you launch will use the Brutal Doom guns/enemies and whatnot, you're going to have to edit your zdoom.ini file.

Go to (your name)/Library/Preferences and open zdoom.ini in TextEdit or any other text editor of your choice.

Find where it says [Doom.Autoload] and after where it says "Path=" put the location of your Brutal Doom pk3. This is what it looks like for me:

[Doom.Autoload]
Path=/Users/cheesegod/Library/Application Support/ZDoom/BRUTALGZDOOMV015a.pk3

Then save it and you should be ready to rock. Hope this helps!
markgonzales0019

Post by markgonzales0019 »

Hey guys, love the mod, but running into interesting problem:

Running, Mac OSX 10.9 Zdoom 2.7.1, Zandronum 1.2

I've placed everything in the correct directories, double click the .pk3 file, zdoom and Brutal Doom opens beautifully. However, I close the program, try to open again, and it defaults to the vanilla doom2.wad. I redownload the BD zip file, double click the .pk3 and it's working again. Shut down the game, double clicking the same .pk3 doesn't work.

Essentially, every time I want to load the Mod & Game I have to redownload the Brutal Doom pk3. I've also noticed I can open the pk3 from any directory. I've investigated the .ini in /Library. Tried adding the Autoload commands, but nothing.

Any ideas?

Return to “General”