[WIP]Fusion Mapping Take #2

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Grymmoire
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

[WIP]Fusion Mapping Take #2

Post by Grymmoire »

I debated waiting until I had more done before making this but...I figured I had nothing to lose if I made it now.

As some of you may remember I attempted to start a community project of sorts called Fusion Mapping a while back (Fall 2010), it didn't really pan out due to lack of interest, but earlier this year I was motivated to give it another go by a few people, though I'll be going about it differently than before.

The very basic premise of Fusion Mapping is to take two classic maps from any Doom iwad (Ultimate, Doom 2, Final [plutonia/tnt]) and combine their layouts and themes in such a way as to create a new, yet nostalgic experience. Kind of like KDiZD tried to do...but instead of merely recreating one map you're recreating two maps in one.

This time, however, I plan to do most of the work that I can do by myself...by myself. If there are capable mappers out there who are interested in mapping for this I have written out some docs about how it's done and have a set of guidelines all typed out, but I won't be posting them here. If you want to make a commitment to this in some form feel free to PM me. I don't mind guest maps. Anyway, moving on.

I've been working on a sort of Take #2 sparingly for a few months now. Slowly ticking away at this between a few other projects that have recently come pretty close to completion. It's at a point now where I can take a few screens and show some stuff, so without further ado:
Spoiler: Screenshots
As a supplement to the maps I also have a music request thread for every map, because it wouldn't be complete without fitting music.

Also as a gimmick but nifty idea I had for the project as a whole...well, maybe it would be better to just show: Fusion Monsters Manual
Credit to NeuralStunner for writing the descriptions.

Downloads taken down because the versions are just that out of date.

Fusion Mapping Maplist
Last edited by Grymmoire on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.
hugoroy

Re: [WIP]Fusion Mapping Take #2

Post by hugoroy »

Good idea :D

The monsters manual is just amazing, what did you use to make it?

Edit: oh and you said in the music request thread you wrote a tutorial for people willing to map, can you give me a link please?
Grymmoire

Post by Grymmoire »

There was a tutorial but due to a recent majhost server issue I lost all the images used in it. So I'll probably be rewriting the tutorial at some point in the near future when I have some more free time.

As for the manual I just made a .doc and converted it to .pdf. The images were a lot less fuzzy in the original .doc though, but oh well.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Reminds me that there's this old thing I did long ago. It's basically Entryway E1M1-ized for Ultimate Doom; inspired by a map that was Hangar MAP01-ized for Doom II.

I had started working on following it up with MAP02 E1M2-ized, but MAP02 is tiny and cramped while E1M2 is huge and sprawling in comparison, so it didn't work out right. And anyway the "series" would have had to stop at since MAP03 starts introduced enemies not found in plain old Doom (namely, chaingunners).

Feel free to take a look and see if you can adapt it to your project. Though I'm sure pretty much everyone has already done mixes like this one (case in point: Nick Baker's map that motivated mine) so it'd probably be redundant.
Grymmoire

Post by Grymmoire »

Nick Baker's map is what motivated me to start this project originally as well.

If I recall correctly he did make more maps of the same vein but he never got around to finishing them, this is all I know of them:
Spoiler:
EDIT: I tried out the map and it really fits in perfectly with the style of the mod. I can definitely find a place for it, do you mind if I make some edits to it?
Last edited by Grymmoire on Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Gez wrote:Reminds me that there's this old thing I did long ago. It's basically Entryway E1M1-ized for Ultimate Doom; inspired by a map that was Hangar MAP01-ized for Doom II.

I had started working on following it up with MAP02 E1M2-ized, but MAP02 is tiny and cramped while E1M2 is huge and sprawling in comparison, so it didn't work out right. And anyway the "series" would have had to stop at since MAP03 starts introduced enemies not found in plain old Doom (namely, chaingunners).

Feel free to take a look and see if you can adapt it to your project. Though I'm sure pretty much everyone has already done mixes like this one (case in point: Nick Baker's map that motivated mine) so it'd probably be redundant.
Woah, Gezmaps! And that's pretty cool actually :D
Gez

Post by Gez »

Grymmoire wrote:do you mind if I make some edits to it?
As I said, feel free to adapt it to your project. :)
esselfortium wrote:Woah, Gezmaps! And that's pretty cool actually :D
Thanks! Though looking back, while trying to shoehorn every Entryway area with a Hangar area, I made the layout too cramped in place and too lengthy in others. Also there's a misaligned computer bank in the blue room (probably forgot to reset offsets after inserting a vertex and moving it around). But I still kinda like it.
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

I like the premise of using those creatures, and how the manual is an homage to the original doom manual. No cyberdemon-type critter, though....

Glad to see this project is once again alive and kicking!
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

ShadesMaster wrote:No cyberdemon-type critter, though....

... Read it again. :|
hugoroy

Post by hugoroy »

NeuralStunner wrote:
ShadesMaster wrote:No cyberdemon-type critter, though....

... Read it again. :|
I don't understand your problem with his message.
Grymmoire

Post by Grymmoire »

He's referring to the cyber fiend and cyber lord, which are based off a cyberdemon fusion.

Though what I think the guy meant was that there is no cyberdemon combined with another monster. That would require more edits and stuff, finding spriters is hard. Also take note that there's no arachno fused with another monster, or mancubus either. But there are other creatures present with their traits.

You'll find that every monster is there somehow, whether in trait or appearance.
hugoroy

Post by hugoroy »

Grymmoire wrote:He's referring to the cyber fiend and cyber lord, which are based off a cyberdemon fusion.

Though what I think the guy meant was that there is no cyberdemon combined with another monster. That would require more edits and stuff, finding spriters is hard. Also take note that there's no arachno fused with another monster, or mancubus either. But there are other creatures present with their traits.

You'll find that every monster is there somehow, whether in trait or appearance.
Ahhh I see. Thanks for clarifying.
Grymmoire

Post by Grymmoire »

For the sake of being specific, here's a list of what each monster represents a fusion of. Spoilered in case you want to find out for yourself when playing, or wanna figure it out based on the manual descriptions.
Spoiler:
hugoroy

Post by hugoroy »

So now I know what the cacodaver does :P
Grymmoire

Post by Grymmoire »

Yeah, this project is still very much alive. Progress has just been really slow lately. At any rate, here are some screens of E1M3 + Map02 (Plutonia).
Spoiler: Screenshots
It's my first "plutonia map" ever so it was pretty difficult for me to pump out detail at all in this map. I'm not totally satisfied with how it looks (I never realized how brown plutonia was until I made a plutonia map) so eh.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”