Carnage Galore 3, now for GZDoom - beta (update)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ichor

Carnage Galore 3, now for GZDoom - beta (update)

Post by Ichor »

(Link to Hub 3 at the bottom of the post)

--- Now with 90% more DamNums ---

For many months since finishing the latest version of AEoD, I have been working on converting Carnage Galore 3 from JHexen to ZDoom. In addition to finally being able to use slopes in the maps, I've also added quite a few new things:

Monsters:

All old monsters will be returning. In the past, I didn't know how to add new monsters, so I had to replace them with anything new. Eventually, I did figure that out, and new monsters were added. However, this caused the code to get real messy, and old original frames had to be re-added as something new for certain monsters (i.e. chaos mutant). Now, not only is everything cleaned up, but it's organized a lot better. Oh yeah, there's new monsters too...

Some of the monster sprites have been changed as well. I did away with the model rip types (gargoyles, skull wizard, etc.) and made them into sprites that look more fitting.

A few of the old monsters have been changed slightly. Some you'll probably never notice, but others will be more obvious.

Weapons:

Each class will have two new weapons, plus one weapon used by all three classes. Each slot will have two weapons each. All weapons, old and new, will have an alt-fire, and when combined with the tome of power, will give each weapon a total of four firing modes. Also, the slot 4 weapons will use a new mana type instead of both blue and green mana.

Items:

Most original Hexen items are included. Notable exceptions include the Chaos Device because while it can be a lifesaver, it creates a lot of headaches concerning scripting, the Banishment Device, which doesn't actually "banish" anything, but just sends monsters to another part of the map, where you'll probably have to deal with them again later anyway, and the Disc of Repulsion. These have been replaced with the Ring of Wizardry, which cuts mana usage by 1/2, the Hold Spell, which temporarily freezes any enemy in its path, and the Malison Scroll, which is an AoE curse spell.

All original CG3 items are also included (i.e. Potion of Fire Resistance, Charm Spell, etc.), and a few brand new items were thrown in as well, including the unused golden egg graphic. The Charm Spell will now always charm a monster that can be charmed, instead of only having a chance to work. To compensate, it has been made less common.

Some of the old items were changed a bit as well. The Mystic Urn now increases your health to 300. The torch now lights up a large area around you instead of the entire map. I've been wanting to do this for a long time now, but until now I couldn't (one of the many limitations of JHexen). It's similar to the one in Serpent Resurrection, but I tried creating it myself instead of borrowing the code from there. Then there's the flechettes. They have been replaced by the Potion of Freezing, which detonates and can freeze whatever gets too close (including you, though you don't actually trigger it).

List of Weapons:

Fighter
Fists
  • primary fire is the same as before
  • alt-fire is a quick two punches
  • powered up primary is the life draining gauntlets
  • powered up alt-fire will drain mana instead
Vorpal Blade
  • primary fire is a melee swing attack. Hitting an enemy that bleeds will increase it's charge.
  • alt-fire will use up any charge you have. The more charge you have stored, the longer and more powerful the effect.
  • Not affected by the Tome of Power.
Timon's Battle Axe
  • alt-fire throws an axe projectile
  • powered up primary is a more powerful melee attack
  • powered up alt-fire throws an auto-seeking red axe
Mindblower
  • primary fire is a somewhat rapid fire projectile
  • alt-fire fires a bunch of rail shots in a slight horizontal spread pattern
  • powered up primary is much like the Mindblower alt-fire from AEoD, except there's no explosive burst upon impact
  • powered up alt-fire is a burst of projectiles that are similar to what the primary fire uses, but smaller
Hammer of Retribution
  • alt-fire throws a homing on bounce hammer at a slightly faster rate
  • powered up primary throws an orange-glowing and much more explosive hammer instead
  • powered up alt-fire is the same as the primary, but also homing on bounces
Dragon Claw
  • primary fire is the same as in Heretic
  • alt-fire fires a shotgun-like pattern instead of a single hitscan shot
  • powered up primary fire is the same as in Heretic
  • powered up alt-fire fires a projectile that shoots out several rail attacks on impact
Quietus
  • primary fire is a melee attack
  • alt-fire is the normal Hexen attack
  • powered up primary is a more powerful melee attack
  • powered up alt-fire shoots out several powerful projectiles that travel along the ground
Cleric
Mace of Contrition
  • alt-fire is a slower, but more powerful melee attack
  • powered up primary will drain life
Redeemer's Hand
  • primary fire is a rapid fire, medium range hitscan attack. Killing an enemy with it will add to the number of souls you have collected.
  • if you aim at a corpse when you use alt-fire, it will detonate that corpse and use up a soul, causing immense damage to any nearby enemies. The more health the enemy had while it was alive, the greater the damage its corpse will do. Using alt-fire where there's no corpse will not use up a soul.
  • not affected by the Tome of Power
Serpent Staff (the Hellstaff that replaced this was removed)
  • primary fire is the same as before, but there's a nifty trail effect to the shots. However, at melee range, it will not drain life.
  • alt-fire is a short ranged burst of poisonous (not really) gas
  • powered up primary shoots two auto-seeking barbs of acid
  • powered up alt-fire shoots a single homing projectile that weaves in a somewhat unpredictable manner and explodes on impact
Crossbow of Consecration
  • primary fire shoots out three magic arrows (not like Heretic)
  • alt-fire fires a single arrow that will cause acid rain to fall on the impact point (more similar to Heretic 2 than the first one)
  • powered up primary shoots out five explosive arrows
  • powered up alt-fire will cause a meteor to fall on the impact point
Firestorm
  • primary fire is a rapid fire attak
  • powered up primary is a more powerful and slightly slower rapid fire
  • powered up alt-fire fires a projectile that will rain down fireballs on whatever hostile monster it hits (similar to the Firestorm in the Hexen 2 expansion)
Astreon's Iron Ward
  • primary fire shoots out a volley of three bouncing spiked balls (unlike Heretic, they will bounce normally in water and hit ghosts)
  • alt-fire fires a single bouncing ripper ball
  • powered up primary shoots out spikes balls that shatter on impact
  • powered up alt-fire shoots out a large red ball that acts much like the big Firemace sphere in Heretic (except this bouces in water), except instead of instantly killing the targets, it will rip through them
Wraithverge
  • primary fire fires a series of four ghosts that rotate around each other (like AEoD's version)
  • powered up primary fires a massive ball of holy energy
  • powered up alt-fire causes an explosion to occur at the player's location, damaging anything within range
Mage
Sickle (the Sapphire Wand was moved to slot 2 to allow the mage to start with a melee weapon like the other classes)
  • primary fire is a melee attack
  • alt-fire is a slower, more powerful melee attack
  • powered up primary will drain life
Totem Staff
  • primary fire is a medium speed shotgun-like attack. Killing an enemy with it will drain it of its health and mojo.
  • using the alt-fire with enough mojo will create a frightful aura for a short time. The more mojo you have collected, the longer it will last and the more powerful the effect.
  • not affected by the Tome of Power
Frost Shards
  • primary fire is the same as it was before
  • alt-fire shoots out an icy blast that will seek out any target that you were aiming at when you fired
  • powered up primary fires a burst of icy spikes
  • powered up alt-fire fires an ice dragon
Sapphire Wand (now uses blue mana)
  • primary fire is the same as it was before, except the attacks no longer pierce enemies. To compensate for this, the attacks are more powerful and there's less delay between shots. This mode does not use mana.
  • alt-fire shoots a quick three shots which uses 3 blue mana, or 1 for each shot
  • powered up primary fires a slower, but more powerful projectile that does not use mana
  • powered up alt-fire shoots a quick three shots (a little quicker than the normal alt-fire) that use 2 mana each for a total of 6 mana
Arc of Death
  • primary fire is the same as it was before
  • alt-fire fires a ball of lightning that explodes on impact and expands to a large sphere of damage electricity before it fades
  • powered up primary is similar to the Sigil (one piece) from Strife
  • powered up alt-fire fires a large ball of lightning that shoots out rail attacks at anything near its path
Heart of King Loric
  • primary fire continually fires out shards of bone (much like in Hexen 2)
  • alt-fire fires a skull that sends shards flying in all directions upon impact
  • powered up primary is a rapid fire rail attack
  • powered up alt-fire shoots an auto-seeking flaming skull with a massive spray of bone shards on impact
Bloodscourge
  • primary fire is a medium range flamethrower
  • powered up primary is a rotating fire shield that will incinerate anything that gets too close
  • powered up alt-fire fires a single projectile that shoots out fireballs in a rather spectacular fashion
All Classes
Staff of D'Sparil
  • primary fire is like it was before
  • alt-fire summons two disciples for a short time with a limit of 6 disciples summoned at one time. Summoning any more will cause one or two that were already summoned to die.
  • powered up primary is a powerful, rapid fire lightning attack
  • powered up alt-fire summons a skull wizard for a short time, but only one can be active at a time

List of New Items:

Hold Spell - The Mystic Ambit Incant is typically a multiplayer only item, but I couldn't let that pickup sprite go unused, so I created a red scroll for this. Anyway, it fires a stream of red energy similar to the Banishment Device. However, instead of teleporting them away, they will be held in place (even if they're in mid-air). Also like the Banishment Device, it can affect multiple enemies.

Tome of Power - Seems fairly obvious what this does by now...

Potion of Fire Resistance - Cuts all fire damage by 1/2. It took a long time and a lot of coding to get this to work in JHexen, but in ZDoom?...I just needed a simple decorate entry.

Time Stop - Umm...stops time

Potion of Regeneration - Replenishes your health over time. However, it works a little differently than the typical regeneration powerup. It gives you health as fast as you would lose it from poison. In JHexen, I was able to make it so the HP number never moved if you had this active and you got poisoned. In ZDoom however, I can't quite do that, so this same situation might make the HP number quickly jump back and forth between...say, 23 and 24 HP. It won't regenerate past 100 HP though, so unless you're preparing for a rough battle, it wouldn't be a good idea to use it after using a Mystic Urn.

Ring of Wizardry - Cuts all mana usage by 1/2, with odd numbers rounded up. For instance, if something normally used 5 green mana, this would reduce it to 3 used. In cases where something costs 1 mana, it would use up 1 mana every other shot.

Charm Spell - Converts a monster to your side, and from then on until it dies, it will attack other enemies. Unlike previous versions, it will always charm a monster if it can be charmed.

Fire Wave - Shoots out a circle of flames that travel along the floor and burn anything in their path.

Glyph - Once you use this, it will spawn in a spot in front of you and sit there until an unlucky enemy wanders by. It will then home in on the target and explode. If the target dies or moves out of range before this happens, it will stop and wait for the next target.

Morph Shield - Prevents you from being turned into a pig for a short time, or turns you back from a pig.

Force Cube - Works like in AEoD, but with some new effects.

Malison Scroll - Will curse anything within range for a short duration. Whatever is affected will take double damage and deal half damage. Does not work on bosses.

Potion of Freezing - Set one of these down and it will start to fume to show that it's active. If any enemy wanders by, it will explode, damaging anything nearby, including you. Neither you or friendly monsters will trigger it, but will be damaged by it just the same.

Foetid Flask - Spawns a pod for you to blow up or jump on. Useful for laying traps (especially combined with the potion of freezing) or for reaching normally inaccessible areas.

Full Armor - This will instantly give you all 4 armor types and the extra boost from the dragonskin bracers, bringing you to the maximum armor limit for that class.

No screenshots now, but here's a video (updated):

And now the third hub is done. I'm confident that there shouldn't be any bugs, game breaking or otherwise.

You do not need to use a health bar mod or DamNums with this, since they are both included within. Trying to run either mod along with this will likely cause it to crash.

Now then, on to hub 4.

- Latest update -

Mega

Dropbox
Last edited by Ichor on Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:22 pm, edited 89 times in total.
chopkinsca

Re: Carnage Galore 3, now for GZDoom

Post by chopkinsca »

Awesome. I've been waiting a long time for this. I love Carnage Galore 3, but disliked the ancient version of JHexen that it ran on.

I'll be keeping an eye on this.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I noticed in the begining of the video that you aren't using a real 3D floor bridge. I thought this for GZDoom.

Just a suggetion, how about changing the Charm Spell (the name) to something else like... Mind Control or Possession, for instance.

PS: Cool mod. Looking forward to playing it.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

I haven't changed the bridge yet. I've only finished with the items, monsters, scripts, etc. The maps will be done a little later.
Zaratul

Post by Zaratul »

Good looking Wad for Hexen.Looking forward to play this.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

My favourite HeXen mod for my favourite DooM port. Let me know if you need some sprites, I will try to help. At least I can give you better sprites for DSparil staff.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

I can't help but getting a bit confused: in the thread title and the video title it says it's for GZDoom, however, in the OP, you say it's for ZDoom. Make up your mind, dammit! :P

At any rate, it looks incredibly fun to play. This coming from the gal who found Hexen to be incredibly dull and way too cryptic.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

Doomhuntress wrote:I can't help but getting a bit confused: in the thread title and the video title it says it's for GZDoom, however, in the OP, you say it's for ZDoom. Make up your mind, dammit! :P

At any rate, it looks incredibly fun to play. This coming from the gal who found Hexen to be incredibly dull and way too cryptic.
Yeah, it's for GZDoom. I was referring to the whole ZDoom engine when comparing it to the Doomsday engine, but specifically, it will be for GZDoom. One good thing about it is that I don't need to worry about palettes anymore. That was such a big problem in the past, trying to get everything to fit just right in the Hexen palette. Now, I can put them all into .pngs.

And a new D'Sparil staff graphic might be nice. The original was literally done one pixel at a time (grumble...that palette issue again), and while it turned out well enough, I wasn't entirely satisfied with it. And those gunflash frames were just placeholders that I never got around to replacing.
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

BUMP!!!! Any news on this?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

ShadesMaster wrote:BUMP!!!! Any news on this?
No, otherwise the thread would be updated. PM the author instead in the future.
Gothic

Post by Gothic »

finally, I can play CG3! I couldn't play it before because my pc doesn't support doomsday, but now it will be possible, thanks Ichor :D
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Gothic wrote:finally, I can play CG3! I couldn't play it before because my pc doesn't support doomsday, but now it will be possible, thanks Ichor :D
Uhh, no you can't because it's not out yet to my knowledge.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

Still working on it. I plan on releasing a beta or something fairly soon, instead of waiting until after I finish the whole thing.

Mostly, I've been working on fixing bugs and tweaking weapon balance.

Also, Minecraft.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

As a matter of fact, I think I'll release it now.

Here you go.

Of course, there's still tons of work that needs to be done.
Last edited by Ichor on Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShadesMaster

Re: Carnage Galore 3, now for GZDoom - beta released

Post by ShadesMaster »

Soo... close....:

Script error, "cg3_ch12.pk3:playerclasses.txt" line 23:
"player.flechettetype" is an unknown actor property

I'll try to fix it myself so I can play the thing.

EDIT: I commented that line out form each player class, and I love what I see. Better than the original as far as I can tell. The cleric's mace is actually USEFUL without the feel being changed too much. :wub:
Last edited by ShadesMaster on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”