d.WAD

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
P1ayer27

d.WAD

Post by P1ayer27 »

I just bought the id Super Pack on Steam, and while I was searching through my Steam folders, I noticed a weird file... In: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ultimate doom\base, what is d.WAD? There's DOOM.WAD, which is obviously The Ultimate Doom, but d.WAD just seems to be the same exact thing. Am I missing something?
Apothem

Re: d.WAD

Post by Apothem »

have you tried opening it up in something like slumped or XWE to see what's inside?
P1ayer27

Post by P1ayer27 »

Apothem wrote:have you tried opening it up in something like slumped or XWE to see what's inside?
P1ayer27 wrote:There's DOOM.WAD, which is obviously The Ultimate Doom, but d.WAD just seems to be the same exact thing. Am I missing something?
In other words, yes.
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

Compare the MD5 hashes?
P1ayer27

Post by P1ayer27 »

Vertigo wrote:Compare the MD5 hashes?
lolwat
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

That's totally the right way to seek information on a subject you are not knowledgeable about, really.

But, in any case, MD5 Checksums are an often-used way to compare files -- two files that are exactly the same should result in the same MD5 sum (in theroy, at least, there are certain exceptions where different files will have the same MD5 sum). There are several utilities that can do a file comparison, some are listed in the wikipedia page for md5sum.

All of this would mostly be useful, really, if you just wanted to ensure that the files are exactly the same. If there are any differences between the two, the Doom Wiki could be used to verify what normal IWAD it is, if any.
Last edited by InsanityBringer on Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Perhaps it is a copy of the Doom iwad before episode 4 was added?
P1ayer27

Post by P1ayer27 »

CaptainToenail wrote:Perhaps it is a copy of the Doom iwad before episode 4 was added?
No sir.
InsanityBringer wrote:That's totally the right way to seek information on a subject you are not knowledgeable about, really.
Because this is so formal. You understood me didn't you?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

P1ayer27 wrote:You understood me didn't you?
That all depends.

If your intention was to say "sorry, I don't know what that is, please explain", then no, I didn't understand you.

However, if your intention was to say "heh, I'm going to be a smartass by making a flippant remark when someone mentions something that I don't know about and thereby put them on the defensive and try to make them look dickish but just end up doing that for myself instead" then, yes, I understood perfectly. :P

Also, your reply to Apotherm was wide of the mark too. Just because you said the two files seem to be the eaxct same thing, there is no indication in your OP that you actually compared the file contents with a WAD editor.

Aaaanyway, I'm wondering what happens if you remove or rename this mystery WAD. Does Steam replace it or something?

What about anyone else who has a Steam copy of Doom? Do you have a d.wad file?
P1ayer27

Post by P1ayer27 »

Enjay wrote:
P1ayer27 wrote:You understood me didn't you?
That all depends.

If your intention was to say "sorry, I don't know what that is, please explain", then no, I didn't understand you.

However, if your intention was to say "heh, I'm going to be a smartass by making a flippant remark when someone mentions something that I don't know about and thereby put them on the defensive and try to make them look dickish but just end up doing that for myself instead" then, yes, I understood perfectly. :P
Saying "lolwat" makes me a smartass. k kewl.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

P1ayer27 wrote:Saying "lolwat" makes me a smartass. k kewl.
That definitely makes you a smartass. Knock it off.
MG_Man

Post by MG_Man »

Enjay wrote:Also, your reply to Apotherm was wide of the mark too. Just because you said the two files seem to be the eaxct same thing, there is no indication in your OP that you actually compared the file contents with a WAD editor.
How would he know that if he didn't compare them?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I didn't say that it wasn't clear whether he had compared them or not, just that it wasn't clear that he had used a WAD editor to do it. For example, it wouldn't be unusual for someone to check the file size, or date, or something else (eg MD5 checksum ;) ) to compare two files.
FDARI

Post by FDARI »

If he had compared them with a tool that allowed him to know right away whether or not the files were perfectly equal, why would this thread have existed? When the question pops up, it is natural to assume that methods that would generate an unambigous answer have not yet been successfully applied. Therefore it makes sense to respond with obvious measures that are bound to give a definite answer. For all we knew, the OP said "just seems to be the exact same thing" because he loaded it in zdoom.exe and checked the title screen + episode list.

That aside: What methods have you tried, P1ayer27? Have you checked whether or not the files contain identical data? If they do, d.wad is the exact same thing.

Most windows systems have a command-line app called COMP (short for compare) that you can use to compare two files. It has many options, but you only need standard settings to check if two files are fully equal.
Gez

Post by Gez »

They're the exact same thing:
Spoiler:

Return to “General”