[Weapons][Enemies] Pie in the Sky GCS Resources

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
janiform

[Weapons][Enemies] Pie in the Sky GCS Resources

Post by janiform »

The GCS was a FPS game creation system from the mid-'90s that was totally awesome. Here is a complete set of the default weapon and item graphics. Note the presence of the incredible Goo Gun. More to come, probably. As I'm unaware of any easier method, these were done by taking screenshots of the individual frames opened in GCS Paint and then cropping the relevant portions.
GCS Rips.png
GCS Rips.png (44.46 KiB) Viewed 5469 times
Last edited by janiform on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainToenail

Re: [Weapons] Pie in the Sky GCS Resources

Post by CaptainToenail »

Heh, Quake 3 Shotgun :)
janiform

Re: [Weapons] Pie in the Sky GCS Resources

Post by janiform »

Five totally awesome enemies. I have no idea why there is such a disparity in scale for that UFO thing. Someone just has to make a weapon/enemy replacer mod with this stuff so I can live out my hi-res GCS nuts.wad fantasy.

FuzzballFox

Re: [Weapons][Enemies] Pie in the Sky GCS Resources

Post by FuzzballFox »

The difference about the UFO is most likely because it is a model rip, and the majority of the other sprites are done by hand...

Some interesting stuff you have here, those skulls look like an oldschool Jitterskull of some kind...hell they even have rotations!
ztrack

Post by ztrack »

Oh I remember this. "I HATE giant bugs"

anyway, I've been trying to remember the name of the thing forever. thanks
dookie4991

Post by dookie4991 »

Im looking for a little help, and i know its been sence the win 95 add-on that pie n the sky helped with any tec stuff for there software. I understand that mvp is responcable for the paint program. I still love the gcs, and desire to use it like i did as a kid. I still got all my stuff and everything works but the paint program. Im runing windows xp, is there any way to get the old dos mvp software to run. without this i can not make any changes to the graphics provided or inport new ones. Are you still using the gcs and if so how is it you are working your graphics?
Tragos

Post by Tragos »

Use dosbox for both programs.

mount c c:\
cd gcsw
gcspaint.exe

or just drag the programs into dosbox link on the desktop. Both of these programs run fine is XP if you set compatibility mode to Windows 95. However they don't seem to be able to read a USB mouse and keyboard. This is why I am forced to use Dosbox for both of these programs. Goodluck! I'm still trying to track down version 2.0 of GCS which had support for Md2 models. This was a pretty sweet program for its day.
Last edited by Tragos on Tue May 31, 2011 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

You are aware the last post is nearly two years old and the author hasn't visited since then, right?
cq75
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cq75 »

It turned out ok, I would have never heard of this game if he didn't bump it :)
Tragos

Post by Tragos »

Followed this link from a wiki article. The question needed answering regardless. :D

You're welcome.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Tragos wrote:Followed this link from a wiki article.
Which wiki article?
Tragos

Post by Tragos »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_in_the ... _engine%29

Under #16 # ^ GCS Graphic Resources
Xim

Post by Xim »

I don't really think a forum is a very valid/reliable source according to wikipedia rules. No offence.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Not to mention the point that the user asking the question has literally not been here since asking two years ago, and that I really doubt anybody looking to figure out how to run the Pie GCS is looking for solutions on a forum about resources for Doom (from a list of over 20 citations in a Wikipedia bibliography, at that).
Tragos

Post by Tragos »

Yeah I get it, I should have looked at the date on the post. However looking over search statistics from my website and others about ray casting, I think it's important to provide answers for the sake of good reference. Google never sleeps when it comes to data mining, that combine with the fact that most information on Pie in the Sky related software is becoming increasingly scarce. This is why my post even if past due is still important. My response may never help "dookie4991", however the point is that the information here can be referenced in the future. For whoever needs access to it.

Raycast engines in all forms fascinate me. Doom just happen to be the one that stole the limelight. GCS was a great tool for the few that remember it.

Return to “Resources”